Re: [Z_Scale] My first layout

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 4 6:03 AM
      Congratulations on your first layout!

      I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
      wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
      enough room on the edge.

      Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
      grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
      and Rokuhan dealer.
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      www.rokuhan-store.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Don
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4 7:25 AM
        Rob:

        HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.

        ...don

        > Congratulations on your first layout!
        >
        > I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
        > wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
        > enough room on the edge.
        >
        > Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
        > grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.
        >
        > Rob
        >
        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        > Distributor American Z Line
        > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
        > and Rokuhan dealer.
        > www.ztrack.com
        > www.ztrackcenter.com
        > www.ztrackresale.com
        > www.rokuhan-store.com
        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
        > Dublin OH 43016
        > (614) 764-1703

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4 7:32 AM
          > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find
          when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle
          pieces.

          just glue them on the base with only the half that you intend to use, an
          then cut of the excess. Then you have only half a shopping cart full of
          puzzle pieces.

          GreetingZ

          Uwe
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 4 7:33 AM
            Something that has puzzled me, as well.

            Michael

          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 4 7:34 AM
              Uwe is right on. I use a very sharp nice to cut the pieces. The cut easily.
              If you are carefull, you can get two ramps for the price of one!

              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              Distributor American Z Line
              Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
              and Rokuhan dealer.
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              www.rokuhan-store.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703

            • Edward Scullin
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4 8:50 AM
                If you are going to cut the risers in half, put a strip of masking tape on each half before you cut.  That way you preserve the spacing necessary for a smooth rise in elevation.  Remove the tape as you glue the risers down.Ed Scullin
                Roanoke VA

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4 9:18 AM
                  Ed good tip!

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  Distributor American Z Line
                  Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                  and Rokuhan dealer.
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  www.ztrackresale.com
                  www.rokuhan-store.com
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  Dublin OH 43016
                  (614) 764-1703

                • StonyS
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4 9:41 AM
                    Have the 3 year old child of a friend visit for the afternoon, and make the mistake of not watching (her) for 45 seconds.

                    That's what happened to mine. EVERY join on two full strips snapped cleanly in half.

                    ======
                    I do feel that a small disclaimer is needed: what angle of elevation of WS did you purchase? Many Z engines cannot make it up the 4 degree incline, you NEED a more gentle incline than that. I wish I had known that fact before I got mine anchored in place.

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                    > Rob:
                    >
                    > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.
                    >
                    > ...don

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4 10:01 AM
                      Uwe,
                      I did basically the same thing when I built the display layout for MTL. I
                      did not have to worry about the width when gluing the pieces down as no
                      scenery or edge restrictions were preventing me from gluing the entire
                      surface down with yellow glue to the pink foam base. Once the glue had
                      dried, I used a hot foam knife to slice down the middle of the risers to the
                      width I wanted and then just popped off the pieces I did not want. And yes,
                      the puzzle pieces promptly went into the trash can.

                      New modelers will quickly find that there is a certain amount of 'throw away
                      in any building project. Of course, the less the better as I hate to undo
                      some work only to throw it away or do over some aspect I wasn't initially
                      happy with.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 4 10:03 AM
                        Ed gets the 'tip of the day' award on that suggestion.

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 4 10:14 AM
                          You can always mark a number on each half with Ed's tape idea. And Loren's comments about 'throw away' is true. Most N stuff is nearly 2x what we need.

                          Jeff M
                          SF Bay Area Z

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4 12:10 PM
                            If you go to HO scale, the "JUNK" scale you can get 4 for 1.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 4 10:55 PM
                              And having used Woodland Scenics blocks to establish the grade and elevation of a line, what then do you put on top of them to form the roadbed to lay the track on?

                              Michael