Re: [Z_Scale] My first layout

  • Cliff Smith
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
      Banddude,
      Hey we all want to see everyones layout.  It will either give us ideas, or answer the questions that you have for us.

      Cliff
      SSgt USMC, Retired
      '08 TITAN
      '86 Yamaha FZX-R
      Z scale trains

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
        Congratulations on your first layout!

        I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
        wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
        enough room on the edge.

        Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
        grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        Distributor American Z Line
        Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
        and Rokuhan dealer.
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        www.rokuhan-store.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Don
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
          Rob:

          HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.

          ...don

          > Congratulations on your first layout!
          >
          > I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
          > wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
          > enough room on the edge.
          >
          > Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
          > grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.
          >
          > Rob
          >
          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          > Distributor American Z Line
          > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
          > and Rokuhan dealer.
          > www.ztrack.com
          > www.ztrackcenter.com
          > www.ztrackresale.com
          > www.rokuhan-store.com
          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
          > Dublin OH 43016
          > (614) 764-1703

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
            > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find
            when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle
            pieces.

            just glue them on the base with only the half that you intend to use, an
            then cut of the excess. Then you have only half a shopping cart full of
            puzzle pieces.

            GreetingZ

            Uwe
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
              Something that has puzzled me, as well.

              Michael

            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                Uwe is right on. I use a very sharp nice to cut the pieces. The cut easily.
                If you are carefull, you can get two ramps for the price of one!

                Rob

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                Distributor American Z Line
                Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                and Rokuhan dealer.
                www.ztrack.com
                www.ztrackcenter.com
                www.ztrackresale.com
                www.rokuhan-store.com
                6142 Northcliff Blvd
                Dublin OH 43016
                (614) 764-1703

              • Edward Scullin
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                  If you are going to cut the risers in half, put a strip of masking tape on each half before you cut.  That way you preserve the spacing necessary for a smooth rise in elevation.  Remove the tape as you glue the risers down.Ed Scullin
                  Roanoke VA

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                    Ed good tip!

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    Distributor American Z Line
                    Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                    and Rokuhan dealer.
                    www.ztrack.com
                    www.ztrackcenter.com
                    www.ztrackresale.com
                    www.rokuhan-store.com
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    Dublin OH 43016
                    (614) 764-1703

                  • StonyS
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                      Have the 3 year old child of a friend visit for the afternoon, and make the mistake of not watching (her) for 45 seconds.

                      That's what happened to mine. EVERY join on two full strips snapped cleanly in half.

                      ======
                      I do feel that a small disclaimer is needed: what angle of elevation of WS did you purchase? Many Z engines cannot make it up the 4 degree incline, you NEED a more gentle incline than that. I wish I had known that fact before I got mine anchored in place.

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                      > Rob:
                      >
                      > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.
                      >
                      > ...don

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                        Uwe,
                        I did basically the same thing when I built the display layout for MTL. I
                        did not have to worry about the width when gluing the pieces down as no
                        scenery or edge restrictions were preventing me from gluing the entire
                        surface down with yellow glue to the pink foam base. Once the glue had
                        dried, I used a hot foam knife to slice down the middle of the risers to the
                        width I wanted and then just popped off the pieces I did not want. And yes,
                        the puzzle pieces promptly went into the trash can.

                        New modelers will quickly find that there is a certain amount of 'throw away
                        in any building project. Of course, the less the better as I hate to undo
                        some work only to throw it away or do over some aspect I wasn't initially
                        happy with.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                          Ed gets the 'tip of the day' award on that suggestion.

                          Loren

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                            You can always mark a number on each half with Ed's tape idea. And Loren's comments about 'throw away' is true. Most N stuff is nearly 2x what we need.

                            Jeff M
                            SF Bay Area Z

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                              If you go to HO scale, the "JUNK" scale you can get 4 for 1.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                And having used Woodland Scenics blocks to establish the grade and elevation of a line, what then do you put on top of them to form the roadbed to lay the track on?

                                Michael