Re: [Z_Scale] My first layout

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hi all,

      >The dilemma I am in is this. To elevate the track for the arched
      bridge,how can I elevate the track beside using pillars? I don't really
      want a flat layout and I was considering using the Woodland Scenics
      subterrain system, but I am limited by having the track so close to the
      edge of the<

      You can use the WS,or you can build your own.Railroads all over the world
      'built' hills and embankments to get rails from one place to another.
      Elevation: without catenary your grades can be lower and you -should- keep
      this at � at 2%.

      Best,Kev

      --
      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • Cliff Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
        Banddude,
        Hey we all want to see everyones layout.  It will either give us ideas, or answer the questions that you have for us.

        Cliff
        SSgt USMC, Retired
        '08 TITAN
        '86 Yamaha FZX-R
        Z scale trains

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
          Congratulations on your first layout!

          I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
          wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
          enough room on the edge.

          Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
          grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor American Z Line
          Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
          and Rokuhan dealer.
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          www.ztrackresale.com
          www.rokuhan-store.com
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • Don
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
            Rob:

            HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.

            ...don

            > Congratulations on your first layout!
            >
            > I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
            > wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
            > enough room on the edge.
            >
            > Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
            > grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.
            >
            > Rob
            >
            > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            > Distributor American Z Line
            > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
            > and Rokuhan dealer.
            > www.ztrack.com
            > www.ztrackcenter.com
            > www.ztrackresale.com
            > www.rokuhan-store.com
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
            > Dublin OH 43016
            > (614) 764-1703

          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
              > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find
              when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle
              pieces.

              just glue them on the base with only the half that you intend to use, an
              then cut of the excess. Then you have only half a shopping cart full of
              puzzle pieces.

              GreetingZ

              Uwe
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                Something that has puzzled me, as well.

                Michael

              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                  Uwe is right on. I use a very sharp nice to cut the pieces. The cut easily.
                  If you are carefull, you can get two ramps for the price of one!

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  Distributor American Z Line
                  Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                  and Rokuhan dealer.
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  www.ztrackresale.com
                  www.rokuhan-store.com
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  Dublin OH 43016
                  (614) 764-1703

                • Edward Scullin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                    If you are going to cut the risers in half, put a strip of masking tape on each half before you cut.  That way you preserve the spacing necessary for a smooth rise in elevation.  Remove the tape as you glue the risers down.Ed Scullin
                    Roanoke VA

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                      Ed good tip!

                      Rob

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      Distributor American Z Line
                      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                      and Rokuhan dealer.
                      www.ztrack.com
                      www.ztrackcenter.com
                      www.ztrackresale.com
                      www.rokuhan-store.com
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd
                      Dublin OH 43016
                      (614) 764-1703

                    • StonyS
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                        Have the 3 year old child of a friend visit for the afternoon, and make the mistake of not watching (her) for 45 seconds.

                        That's what happened to mine. EVERY join on two full strips snapped cleanly in half.

                        ======
                        I do feel that a small disclaimer is needed: what angle of elevation of WS did you purchase? Many Z engines cannot make it up the 4 degree incline, you NEED a more gentle incline than that. I wish I had known that fact before I got mine anchored in place.

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                        > Rob:
                        >
                        > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.
                        >
                        > ...don

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                          Uwe,
                          I did basically the same thing when I built the display layout for MTL. I
                          did not have to worry about the width when gluing the pieces down as no
                          scenery or edge restrictions were preventing me from gluing the entire
                          surface down with yellow glue to the pink foam base. Once the glue had
                          dried, I used a hot foam knife to slice down the middle of the risers to the
                          width I wanted and then just popped off the pieces I did not want. And yes,
                          the puzzle pieces promptly went into the trash can.

                          New modelers will quickly find that there is a certain amount of 'throw away
                          in any building project. Of course, the less the better as I hate to undo
                          some work only to throw it away or do over some aspect I wasn't initially
                          happy with.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                            Ed gets the 'tip of the day' award on that suggestion.

                            Loren

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                              You can always mark a number on each half with Ed's tape idea. And Loren's comments about 'throw away' is true. Most N stuff is nearly 2x what we need.

                              Jeff M
                              SF Bay Area Z

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                If you go to HO scale, the "JUNK" scale you can get 4 for 1.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                  And having used Woodland Scenics blocks to establish the grade and elevation of a line, what then do you put on top of them to form the roadbed to lay the track on?

                                  Michael