My first layout

  • banddude81345
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hi fellow Zers. I'm starting my very first Z layout. I'm using a case I
      originally used for my DJ system with a mixer and 2 CD players. I
      removed the rails that held the mixer, cut a plywood base for my layout
      and purchased all the track (A Marklin starter set plus some Ebay
      purchases) necessary to build my design. It is a simple under and over
      oval with a double turnout with 2 side tracks. The base is 17" by 31"
      and the track goes nearly to the edge of the base. There is a lid for
      the case and I would like to complete it as a "briefcase" style system,
      with the transformer in the well where one of the CD players went.
      The dilema I am in is this. To elevate the track for the arched bridge,
      how can I elevate the track beside using pillars? I don't really want a
      flat layout and I was considering using the Woodland Scenics subterrain
      system, but I am limited by having the track so close to the edge of the
      base. It will be difficult to use the lid for the case and make it a
      true briefcase style layout if I do that. I would appreciate any ideas
      or suggestions you would have. I can provide a picture of the layout as
      I have it so far if necessary. I was hoping to design the layout with a
      cross track, but after driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to
      do that (I used the Anyrail design software) I eventually decided the
      over and under was the only way to go.
      Thanks for any help you can give me.

    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
        Hello banddude81345 (Phil?),

        > I'm starting my very first Z layout.

        Congratulation for starting to do a layout.

        A picture and/or a trackplan (as a PDF or JPG file) would be great. Just
        post it to the picture folder of the group.

        > The dilema I am in is this. To elevate the track for the arched bridge,
        > how can I elevate the track beside using pillars?

        You didn't write what are the limits of your case regarding the height
        of everything. But besides pillars you can use foam blocks shaped in
        form for that. Another way would be to cut the plywood base so that you
        can bend up the trackbase that leads to the bridge. The resulting side
        gap you can cover with gaze or paper drenched with white glue. (I, well
        my wife, did that using toothpicks to create a simple supportgrid.)
        The main problem with a over and under layout in a small layout are
        always the grades. They shouldn't get to steep, but then you will need
        roughly 4cm (1,57 inch) under the bridge to get free of the bridge. Here
        you might use any trick available (like getting part of the track up,
        and another part of the track down under the mainlevel) to lengthen the
        distance to get this height.

        > I was hoping to design the layout with a
        > cross track, but after driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to
        > do that (I used the Anyrail design software) ...

        Right now I'm sitting here trying to create the station of my hometown
        (in Germany) with Raily (a design software from Switzerland). Because of
        the size of the layout you probably would have to use flextrack to
        create the necessary radii for a cross track design. I don't know
        Anyrail so I can't say how to do that. In Raily4 it's easy... SCNR

        Don't hesitate to ask any question, and post a picture of you're layout
        so far.

        GreetingZ

        Uwe
      • Kevin Brady
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
          Hi all,

          >The dilemma I am in is this. To elevate the track for the arched
          bridge,how can I elevate the track beside using pillars? I don't really
          want a flat layout and I was considering using the Woodland Scenics
          subterrain system, but I am limited by having the track so close to the
          edge of the<

          You can use the WS,or you can build your own.Railroads all over the world
          'built' hills and embankments to get rails from one place to another.
          Elevation: without catenary your grades can be lower and you -should- keep
          this at � at 2%.

          Best,Kev

          --
          Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

        • Cliff Smith
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
            Banddude,
            Hey we all want to see everyones layout.  It will either give us ideas, or answer the questions that you have for us.

            Cliff
            SSgt USMC, Retired
            '08 TITAN
            '86 Yamaha FZX-R
            Z scale trains

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
              Congratulations on your first layout!

              I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
              wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
              enough room on the edge.

              Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
              grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.

              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              Distributor American Z Line
              Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
              and Rokuhan dealer.
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              www.rokuhan-store.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703

            • Don
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                Rob:

                HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.

                ...don

                > Congratulations on your first layout!
                >
                > I have found that you can cut the Woodland Scenics risers in half. They are
                > wide, so you have more than enough room to cut them down. This may give you
                > enough room on the edge.
                >
                > Just watch your grade. We typically recommend that you don't go above a 2%
                > grade. The steeper the grade, the less you will be able to pull.
                >
                > Rob
                >
                > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                > Distributor American Z Line
                > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                > and Rokuhan dealer.
                > www.ztrack.com
                > www.ztrackcenter.com
                > www.ztrackresale.com
                > www.rokuhan-store.com
                > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                > Dublin OH 43016
                > (614) 764-1703

              • Uwe Liermann
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                  > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find
                  when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle
                  pieces.

                  just glue them on the base with only the half that you intend to use, an
                  then cut of the excess. Then you have only half a shopping cart full of
                  puzzle pieces.

                  GreetingZ

                  Uwe
                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                    Something that has puzzled me, as well.

                    Michael

                  • ztrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                      Uwe is right on. I use a very sharp nice to cut the pieces. The cut easily.
                      If you are carefull, you can get two ramps for the price of one!

                      Rob

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      Distributor American Z Line
                      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                      and Rokuhan dealer.
                      www.ztrack.com
                      www.ztrackcenter.com
                      www.ztrackresale.com
                      www.rokuhan-store.com
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd
                      Dublin OH 43016
                      (614) 764-1703

                    • Edward Scullin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                        If you are going to cut the risers in half, put a strip of masking tape on each half before you cut.  That way you preserve the spacing necessary for a smooth rise in elevation.  Remove the tape as you glue the risers down.Ed Scullin
                        Roanoke VA

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                          Ed good tip!

                          Rob

                          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          Distributor American Z Line
                          Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                          and Rokuhan dealer.
                          www.ztrack.com
                          www.ztrackcenter.com
                          www.ztrackresale.com
                          www.rokuhan-store.com
                          6142 Northcliff Blvd
                          Dublin OH 43016
                          (614) 764-1703

                        • StonyS
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                            Have the 3 year old child of a friend visit for the afternoon, and make the mistake of not watching (her) for 45 seconds.

                            That's what happened to mine. EVERY join on two full strips snapped cleanly in half.

                            ======
                            I do feel that a small disclaimer is needed: what angle of elevation of WS did you purchase? Many Z engines cannot make it up the 4 degree incline, you NEED a more gentle incline than that. I wish I had known that fact before I got mine anchored in place.

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                            > Rob:
                            >
                            > HOW do you cut them in half? Since they are zig-zag strips I find when they are cut in half you end up with a shopping cart full of puzzle pieces.
                            >
                            > ...don

                          • Loren Snyder
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                              Uwe,
                              I did basically the same thing when I built the display layout for MTL. I
                              did not have to worry about the width when gluing the pieces down as no
                              scenery or edge restrictions were preventing me from gluing the entire
                              surface down with yellow glue to the pink foam base. Once the glue had
                              dried, I used a hot foam knife to slice down the middle of the risers to the
                              width I wanted and then just popped off the pieces I did not want. And yes,
                              the puzzle pieces promptly went into the trash can.

                              New modelers will quickly find that there is a certain amount of 'throw away
                              in any building project. Of course, the less the better as I hate to undo
                              some work only to throw it away or do over some aspect I wasn't initially
                              happy with.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                Ed gets the 'tip of the day' award on that suggestion.

                                Loren

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                  You can always mark a number on each half with Ed's tape idea. And Loren's comments about 'throw away' is true. Most N stuff is nearly 2x what we need.

                                  Jeff M
                                  SF Bay Area Z

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                    If you go to HO scale, the "JUNK" scale you can get 4 for 1.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                      And having used Woodland Scenics blocks to establish the grade and elevation of a line, what then do you put on top of them to form the roadbed to lay the track on?

                                      Michael