Paris, Gothenburg, Munich

  • Alexis
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hello fellow Z'ers in France, Germany and Sweden.

      I'm getting ready to head to Europe for the next two weeks. Are any of you in the Paris, Gothenburg, Munich areas? I had extra room in my suitcase... so, I've packed some special pieces of Z that I am willing to trade or sell, if we happen to meet.

      Please contact me directly if you are interested in my schedule or what I have available for this trip.

      Looking forward to meeting some fellow Z-heads.

      ThankZ,

      Alex

      Tokyo, Japan

      techrepjapan@...
    • Alexis
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
        I had a wonderful chance to meet fellow French Z-head Dominique. Dom is a wonderful and friendly host... inviting me into his home. We enjoyed a quick cup of espresso... sharing mutual aviation stories, before heading to his desert layout. While Dom will admit his layout is a bit lacking in scenery... his track work and turn-outs help to make for some flawless running. Dom is quite pleased with his UP/CN/UP SD70 consist... it is quite impressive to see this running at proto-speeds hauling some twenty-plus, mixed freight.

        Our time was a bit short, as I had a business commitment. But, I made sure to add to Dom's fleet with a heavily weathered and re-decaled 3-bay ACF hopper.

        Thank you, Dom. I look forward to another visit.
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
          Hi Alexis it has been such a pleasure for me as well! And you are definitly indulgent with my layout! However you're completely true, it's heavily missing scenery! For the time it's still "Mess & Plywood Pacific RR"... But I'm nevertheless slowly working on it. In the next days I'll continue hot-cutting styrene sheets in order to finish general landscaping, and then I'll set some small rocks inside, along with sand I'll continue to pick up on the beaches the airline I'm flying for is serving (French Carribean, Indian Ocean, etc), uh, uh!

          But I think that prior to all that I shall first continue and finish ballasting work. I should even have started with this, that would be easier without any scenery element.

          I definitly hope that on the opposite of what you told me yesterday you'll be able to arrange meets with fellow z-scalers of our group.

          All the best, and looking fwd to seeing you as well.

          Dom

          ________________________________
          De : Alexis <techrepjapan@...>
          À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          Envoyé le : Mardi 6 mars 2012 11h53
          Objet : [Z_Scale] Re: Paris, Gothenburg, Munich

          I had a wonderful chance to meet fellow French Z-head Dominique. Dom is a wonderful and friendly host... inviting me into his home. We enjoyed a quick cup of espresso... sharing mutual aviation stories, before heading to his desert layout. While Dom will admit his layout is a bit lacking in scenery... his track work and turn-outs help to make for some flawless running. Dom is quite pleased with his UP/CN/UP SD70 consist... it is quite impressive to see this running at proto-speeds hauling some twenty-plus, mixed freight.

          Our time was a bit short, as I had a business commitment. But, I made sure to add to Dom's fleet with a heavily weathered and re-decaled 3-bay ACF hopper.

          Thank you, Dom. I look forward to another visit.

        • Kevin Brady
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
            Hi Dom,all,
            It is wonderful to hear folks on these lists getting
            together,making friendships and running trains.It almost restores my faith
            in the human race ;-)

            Dom,ballast last!

            Best, Kev

            On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM, de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...
            > wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Alexis it has been such a pleasure for me as well! And you
            > are definitly indulgent with my layout! However you're completely true,
            > it's heavily missing scenery! For the time it's still "Mess & Plywood
            > Pacific RR"... But I'm nevertheless slowly working on it. In the next days
            > I'll continue hot-cutting styrene sheets in order to finish general
            > landscaping, and then I'll set some small rocks inside, along with sand
            > I'll continue to pick up on the beaches the airline I'm flying for is
            > serving (French Carribean, Indian Ocean, etc), uh, uh!
            >
            > But I think that prior to all that I shall first continue and finish
            > ballasting work. I should even have started with this, that would be easier
            > without any scenery element.
            >
            > I definitly hope that on the opposite of what you told me yesterday you'll
            > be able to arrange meets with fellow z-scalers of our group.
            >
            > All the best, and looking fwd to seeing you as well.
            >
            > Dom
            >

            > ________________________________
            > De : Alexis <techrepjapan@...>
            > � : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            > Envoy� le : Mardi 6 mars 2012 11h53
            > Objet : [Z_Scale] Re: Paris, Gothenburg, Munich
            >

            > I had a wonderful chance to meet fellow French Z-head Dominique. Dom is a
            > wonderful and friendly host... inviting me into his home. We enjoyed a
            > quick cup of espresso... sharing mutual aviation stories, before heading to
            > his desert layout. While Dom will admit his layout is a bit lacking in
            > scenery... his track work and turn-outs help to make for some flawless
            > running. Dom is quite pleased with his UP/CN/UP SD70 consist... it is quite
            > impressive to see this running at proto-speeds hauling some twenty-plus,
            > mixed freight.
            >
            > Our time was a bit short, as I had a business commitment. But, I made sure
            > to add to Dom's fleet with a heavily weathered and re-decaled 3-bay ACF
            > hopper.
            >
            > Thank you, Dom. I look forward to another visit.

            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012

              --
              Thanks for the advise Kev! But it's an issue for me to do so, as some of my track is due to be surrounded by narrow cliffs....
              Dom

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                Yes, last! Scenery will get everywhere, even if the track is taped over.

                Jeff M
                SF Bay Area Z

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                  Hi Dom,all,
                  Remember the drainage ditches! ;-)

                  Yes,Jeff it's static grass that one has to be careful about.

                  Best,Kev

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Static grass is great I'm some track areas, get the small opening or adapt to small 6mm (1/4") tube and tap side of applicator to place small amounts on sidings and near track. Use shortest 4mm fibers but then use Profession (sharp) vibrating hair/beard trimmers to vary and clean out near rails.

                    Jeff M
                    SF Bay Area Z

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                      OK guys, in that case I'll follow your advise. At least rails and ties are already painted.
                      Dom

                      ________________________________
                      De : Jeff <sjbazman49@...>
                      À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                      Envoyé le : Mercredi 7 mars 2012 20h03

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                        Yeah, Kev, definitly!  I already began with Sculptamold on the small portion where I'm beginning scenery.
                        Dom

                        ________________________________
                        De : Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
                        À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        Envoyé le : Mercredi 7 mars 2012 20h23

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                          Hi Jeff,all,
                          Great idea! Will my nose/ear trimmers work? :-D

                          Best,Kev

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                            Hi Dom,all,
                            How did you do that?

                            Best,Kev

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                              Hi Dom,all,

                              Sculptamold,great stuff.So easy to work with,lightweight,etc,etc,...

                              Best,Kev

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                Dom, if you have the pink/blue foam, you can hot-wire/steak knife (the serrated edge type) to get course shapes. Then use #36 or super course sandpaper or rasp (very rough file) or curved tool like Stanley Surform. Vacuum. This is the fastest for me.

                                Paint over with standard latex paint, will cover 90%. Use a earth like color. Don't worry about 100%. Don't worry about drying. Brush on 1:1 white glue:water (+few drops of dish soap). Sprinkle on several Fine ground cover. Spray with 1:3 white glue:water +few drops of dish soap from a *good* sprayer.

                                When you test the sprayer before this procedure, you should be able to pull the trigger and still get a pretty good spray. It if spits, either spray is not good enough, glue not completely dissolved (you really have to shake a long time and, after sitting for awhile) or, too thick. Should not need 1:4 thinning. My $7 "commercial" sprayer can spray 1:2 thinned.

                                Sculptamold is good for blending in rocks and a few void fills in the foam. Just knife, sand and Surform the foam. MUCH faster and you don't have to wait sometimes DAYS because you put too much water, too thick or just cold/damp days on the Sculptamold.

                                Jeff M
                                SF Bay Area Z

                                De : Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
                                À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                  They have to be *sharp*. Most aren't even close and it just pushes the fibers around or tears them out.

                                  Jeff M
                                  SF Bay Area Z

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                    Kev, the easiest way: I took a batch of MTL flextrack and a few turnouts with me while on layover here and there, as well as Humbrol paints, brushes, thinner, etc, and every evening in my hotel bedroom prior to the beer with my mates I spent one hour or two painting those pieces. When bending flextrack once back home in order to lay track on my layout, I obviously suffered of small particles of paint beeing swept off the rails due to bending action, especially on rail base close to the "spikes", but it was a quick and easy fix with new spots of fresh paint.

                                    One thing I forgot anyway: I think I'd have had better results, had I applied a layer of metal primer on rails prior to painting.

                                    Dom

                                    ________________________________
                                    De : Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
                                    À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                    Envoyé le : Mercredi 7 mars 2012 20h54

                                    <ddechamp71@...>wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > OK guys, in that case I'll follow your advise. At least rails and ties are
                                    > already painted.
                                    > Dom

                                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                      Thank you Jeff for the advise. Looks like what was explained in a recent MR issue...
                                      Dom

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                        I would only paint the rails after install. You make it much harder to bend and you risk tearing off the 'spikes'. Just use Testors spray (lighter milk choco Roof brown looks better than darker Rail Brown). Wipe off the rail heads with Isopropal Alchohol using a Cotton Tee-shirt strip on a wood block. Comes right off within the first minute or two after spraying. DON'T WAIT or spray too large an area ! Mask turnout points on Fast Tracks to keep them from sticking.

                                        This way you don't have to rework or paint the joiners with the Testors Pens.

                                        You can solvent spray the flex to trip and oils off of it prior to laying.

                                        Jeff M
                                        SF Bay Area Z

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                          Hi Jeff,all,

                                          >Dom, if you have the pink/blue foam, you can hot-wire/steak knife (the
                                          serrated edge type) to get course shapes. Then use #36 or super course
                                          sandpaper or rasp (very rough file) or curved tool like Stanley Surform.
                                          Vacuum. This is the fastest for me.<

                                          Foam is great,just not in the train room!Messy,same with cutting
                                          wood,outdoors/separate area.

                                          > >Paint over with standard latex paint, will cover 90%. Use a earth like
                                          > color. Don't worry about 100%. Don't worry about drying. Brush on 1:1 white
                                          > glue:water (+few drops of dish soap). Sprinkle on several Fine ground
                                          > cover. Spray with 1:3 white glue:water +few drops of dish soap from a
                                          > *good* sprayer.<

                                          They still make latex paint?Not trying to be a PITA here but most water
                                          based are acrylic based.
                                          I sprinkle on the ground foam right on the paint,it will hold the scenery
                                          material.Although white glue has it's modeling applications I would not use
                                          it exclusively for scenery.It will become brittle and yellow.Don't get me
                                          started on 'wet' water ;-)))

                                          > >Sculptamold is good for blending in rocks and a few void fills in the
                                          > foam. Just knife, sand and Surform the foam. MUCH faster and you don't
                                          > have to wait sometimes DAYS because you put too much water, too thick or
                                          > just cold/damp days on the Sculptamold.<

                                          Sculptamold can made into rocks and be reworked(carved,sand,diled&drilled
                                          and it too will make a mess).The 'secret' is starting with a tiny bit of
                                          water and then adding Sculptamold and mixing well.Adding water with your
                                          fingers will shape/smooth it and not increase drying time.

                                          Best,Kev

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                            Hi Dom,all,
                                            You need an airbrush!

                                            Best,Kev

                                            On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM, de Champeaux Dominique
                                            <ddechamp71@...>wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > Kev, the easiest way: I took a batch of MTL flextrack and a few turnouts
                                            > with me while on layover here and there, as well as Humbrol paints,
                                            > brushes, thinner, etc, and every evening in my hotel bedroom prior to the
                                            > beer with my mates I spent one hour or two painting those pieces. When
                                            > bending flextrack once back home in order to lay track on my layout, I
                                            > obviously suffered of small particles of paint beeing swept off the rails
                                            > due to bending action, especially on rail base close to the "spikes", but
                                            > it was a quick and easy fix with new spots of fresh paint.
                                            >
                                            > One thing I forgot anyway: I think I'd have had better results, had I
                                            > applied a layer of metal primer on rails prior to painting.
                                            >

                                            > Dom
                                            >

                                            > ________________________________
                                            > De : Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
                                            > � : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                            > Envoy� le : Mercredi 7 mars 2012 20h54
                                            > Objet : Re: Re : Ballasting (was:Re : Re : [Z_Scale] Re: Paris,
                                            > Gothenburg, Munich)
                                            >

                                            > Hi Dom,all,
                                            > How did you do that?
                                            >
                                            > Best,Kev
                                            >
                                            > On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM, de Champeaux Dominique
                                            > <ddechamp71@...>wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > **
                                            >

                                            > > OK guys, in that case I'll follow your advise. At least rails and ties
                                            > are
                                            > > already painted.
                                            > > Dom

                                            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

                                          • Lee Barry
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                              Hey Dom, If one of the richest rock singers of our time will do the same as you when on tour then why can't you. Speaking about Rob "Maggie May" Stewart. When he goes on tour his private jet has an area in it where he works on buildings,etc. for his HO model railroad� in the basement of his home in Hollywood. Also the hotels he stays in have his room set up with a place he can do the same. Don't believe it, call Kalmbach and have them send you one of their Dec 2007 Model RailRoader magazines. It is on the front cover and story inside. Lee Barry

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                                                Also a "cheap" way to measure the water/glue is when you go to the Macky Dees kinda 5 finger some extra of those little white cups you put ketchup in. You can then take them home and fill one with white glue and the other with water. Do this until you have the amount you need at the time. I would have my wife and my kids pick some up everytime they went to a fast food place and ate inside. At one time I had 5 "WallyWorld" plastic bags filled with them tied up separately and inside a 13 gal. trash (black) bag so I could see the white from the bag. Just an idea.
                                                Here''s also another one; When it comes time to start lubing you engines get some 90 proof rubbing alkehol, be sure it is 90% ans use it to clean your wheels axles ect on your cars. And then after you get your engine gears,wheels,ect cleaned use a NEEDLE to apply the lube to the gears, ect. Don't try to use the "needle type applicator that is with the labelle 108 lube, you'll make a mess. Advice from Jim O'Connell to me. Lee barry

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 8, 2012
                                                  Thank you Lee! As a MR subscriber I read Rod Stewart's story (2 articles since Dec 2007 indeed)! But the only difference between himself and me is that the jet I'm flying is not my private jet, uh, uh! So I'm space limited, that's why I restrain myself to small items, and not 5'-tall skycrapers (one more reason for me to stick to Z scale!)!

                                                  Dom

                                                  ________________________________
                                                  De : Lee Barry <z_scale2@...>
                                                  À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Cc : Lee Barry <Z_SCALE2@...>
                                                  Envoyé le : Mercredi 7 mars 2012 22h58

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 21, 2012
                                                    Follow up from my trip...

                                                    I was able to meet with one more fellow Z-friend... Hans-Heinz Maier, in Munich, Germany. Harald Thom-Freudenreich of FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK provided me with his initial contact information... along with a note stating I must see Hans-Heinz Z collection.

                                                    Harald was absolutely correct! WoW! Not only is Hans-Heinz a wonderful gentleman and friendly host... his collection is amazing. He has every Marklin release (with the exception of fantasy models), almost every AZL release, probably every Micro-Trains release, every Full Throttle release, Father Nature, PennZee, I think most of the North American FR releases. These also include all their original boxes and packaging. I am sure I have forgotten something.

                                                    Hans-Heinz is interested in selling his AZL brass models. If anyone is interested, please contact me directly, off the forum.

                                                    I also had some time to do a little bit of rail-fanning while I was in Munich. I have posted photos at Z Central Station. I also took some videos, for those wanting to see what their Marklin DB locos looking like running in 1:1.

                                                    https://vimeo.com/user6081966/videos

                                                    Alex
                                                    Tokyo

                                                    techrepjapan @ hotmail.com
                                                  • Jeff
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 21, 2012
                                                      Nice Alex. Always interesting to see travel images by others. Comparison to the real thing helps us understand more about how it actually moves and operates.

                                                      I will post my travels to Altenbeken and the O.W.L. Division group starting the last weekend this month, 30 March.

                                                      Jeff M
                                                      SF Bay Area Z