Re: Z_Scale] bridge guard rails

  • Billhko
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 12, 2012
      Just by chance I was looking at some photos by Alex Leão in the Nn3 groups messages and he had a photo of a short wooden bridge in Brazil. Even this short, about 20 ft long wood pile bridge, had guard rails but they ended less than a car length from the end of the bridge.

      Then reviewing the PRR bridge with guard rails I think that the lenth of the guard rails beyond the end of the bridge is dependent upon the speed of the trains that use the bridges or tunnels. The Pensy has always been a high speed railroad. There was tough competition with the New York Central as to who had the shortest time between NYC and Chicago. The goal was to have overnight service so that a passenger could board the train in NYC, go to bed in a Pullman Car and wake up in time to spend a full day in Chicago. Review old advertisements from the 30s through the 50s and you will see that a lot of advertising dollars were spent during that time touting which RR was quickest. Back then this was 1st class passenger traveling and brought in the "big bucks".

      They only advertised the wonders of the scenery when you traveled between Chicago and the West Coast. There were no Bullet trains back then. We have to realize that Stagecoach travel from Chicago to San Francisco was, during the mid 1800s, 1st class traveling unless you spent months at sea sailing around South America in a tiny, compared to today's boats, little sail boats. (Yea they call them "tall ships" but they weren't very big)

      I guess that this is the reason why the photo of the Pennsy bridge shows such an elaborate guard rail set up. They wanted a train that had derailed before it came to the bridge to be guided back toward the center of the track and not strike the bridge structure itself.

      Garth is illustrating a slow but sure trend in model railroading where the modelers are finally looking toward "real" RR practices for our modeling resources instead of the old way of looking backward at how the modelers in the past did their modeling.

      Bill
      El Toro, CA

      > Some of you might find this of interest.
      >
      > Had look around the Niagara peninsula at various bridges, concrete floor with ballasted road bed. steel girder with ties bolted to main I beam. Guard rails all seems to be same code/weight as track laid on bridge but you could see it was well used before it was put on bridge as a guard rail rail top rolled over at the edges.The track is set down on tie plates and bolted or spiked down the foot of the guard rail is right down on the tie and the rail foot is up next to the tie plate end. before I could measure the distance I got a lecture from railway police about trespassing and avoided a ticket so can't answer that question of physical distance. On getting home I was able to take a piece of MTl Flex and turn a file on edge and run over the top of the ties just outside of the plastic nub that hold the rails in place in the tie bed after several passes I was able to get enough clearance to put down Micro Engineering code 40 rail.Next I took a no 80 drill bit and after placing rail up tight against the plastic spikes I drilled a hole on the inside of the rail and pushed a rail spike(small one designed for Code 40 rail from Micro Engineering)into the hole with a snug fit to holds the rail in place.no 80 drill bits are fragile you might want to try a larger size until you get one that is a friction fit for your rail spike so it is held in place once pushed in and stays in place.
      >
      > as for the shape of the V entry to the guard rail only on the high speed rail used for commuter a passenger traffic were they tapered more than about half a car length. On high speed rail they were almost 80 feet long and spiked to-gether at centre of track.
      >
      > cheers Garth
      >
      > http://www.arema.org/publications/pgre/Practical_Guide/PGChapter8.pdf

    • William
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 5, 2013
        William W. Adorjan
        1667 Winnetka Rd.
        Glenview,Ill.60025 (847) 657-8502

        Many OOP (out of production) products on this list.

        All New In Original Boxes

        Z Gauge For Sale
        Marklin F-7 Diesel A-B-(BothPwrd)#88605 "Pennsylvannia" $ 210
        Marklin #88490 GG-1 Electric Loco "Pennsylvannia" $ 225

        SETS (All Marklin)
        #88602 F-7 Diesels A(Pwrd)-B(Dummy) "Baltimore & Ohio" $ 185
        #8807 2-8-2 Mikado Steam Loco #4501 "SOUTHERN" Green $ 200
        #8881 4-6-2 Pacific Steam Loco & Caboose "B & O" 2T BLue $ 215
        #8882 4-6-2 Pacific Steam Loco & Caboose "Pennsylvannia"T $ 215
        #88603 F-7 Diesel #48-A % Caboose "Milw.Rd" (20th Annvs.) $ 200
        Freight Cars(Marklin Couplers)
        Marklin #8692-A 50' Box Car "Ontario Northern" #90075 $ 25
        Marklin #8693-A 50' Box Car "Great Northern" Green $ 25
        Marklin #8694-A 50' Box Car ""B & O" (TimeSaver" #468800 $ 25
        Marklin #8695-A 50' Box Car "B & M" #77972 Blue $ 25
        Marklin #8696-A 50' Box Car "R.I." "The Rock" Blue RARE $ 30
        Marklin(2) #8637 50' Box Cars "Milwaukee Road" @ $ 25
        Marklin #8223 50' Box Car "SOO LINE" White/Red Door $ 25
        Marklin #8677 50' Box Car "D & RGW" Yellow/Silver $ 25
        Marklin 8681 50' Box Car "IllinoisCentrelGulf" Orange $ 25
        Marklin 88637 50' Box Car " Chgo&NrthWestern" $ 30
        Micro (3) #14311-2 40' Gondolas"LehighValley"McroCplrs @ $ 25

        LAYOUT FOR SALE
        12' Long by 21" Wide Double Track Return Loops With Yard Tracks
        On 2" Thick Roofing Board Complete With Bluildings Farm Mountain
        Vehicles and People Would Prefer to sell localy Chicago Area
        Call 847 657 8502 for Details