Slow Flashing Light for MTL's Lighthouse

  • insull_modeler_62
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
      Morning Gang,

      Just about completed the Lighthouse structure and I'm in need of suggestions on how to make the light operational.

      I have bundles of 1.2mm 1.5v 15mA incandescent lamps from Miniatronics Corp (#18-001-20) and wondering if there is something to attach to the leads to make it flash or is there I need to purchase for this?

      I'm still thinking this an N scale structure, only because it fits right in size wise with my other N scale stuff.

      Many Thanks in advance for any and all help!
      Dave

      Dave Mummery

      http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
      http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
        Hi Dave,all,

        See:
        http://www.ngineering.com/lighting%20effect%20for%20boats,%20ships,%20waterfront.htm

        Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
          > I have bundles of 1.2mm 1.5v 15mA incandescent lamps from Miniatronics Corp (#18-001-20) and wondering if there is something to attach to the leads to make it flash or is there I need to purchase for this?

          I wouldn't bother with the incandescents - they'll get hot, and the
          flashing will dramatically reduce their life.

          Get a few LEDs instead, they'll happily take the flashing. You can get
          ones that flash themselves when power is applied. In truth a lighthouse
          lamp really rotates so you either want a rotating lamp (shaft up the
          middle ??) or a sine wave generator of some sort. Plenty of circuits for
          that on the net.

          Alan
        • David Mummery
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
            Hey Kevin, Alan & Gang,

            Oh my, I hate both of, LOL, no I don't! Thank you very much; Kevin for the link and Alan for expanding the effect and Ngineering for have not only the need goodies but expanding the effect more.

            So new game plan; using the 2 light Lighthouse Beacon board with LEDs and adding 2 Marker Buoy boards for a total of 4 buoys in the channel.

            Maybe I'll get to run some Z scale trains next year, LOL.

            Thank You Very Much Guys!

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012
              Hi all,
              Pleasure Dave.Would love to see some photos when you are done!

              Best,Kev

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2012
                Hey Kevin & Gang,

                Of course we'll publish pictures, that's what this is all about, right!
                Thanks All

                From: Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
                Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:02:39
                To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>