Brawa Pin-Socket street lights

  • misszscale
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2012
      I'm ready to install street lights on my layout. I'd like to hear from anyone using the Brawa pin-socket light system.

      Do you think the LED lights are too white/cool and would you have preferred using warmer incandescent lights instead?

      Just talking esthetics here.

      Thanks!

      Eileen
    • Henri Seynaeve
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2012
        The Brawa light is just great, provide a warn light.
        For an industrial layout I will take a white LED otherwise the Brawa is fine.

        This is my 2 cents
        Henri

        Henri Seynaeve
        IT Engineering C.O.E.
        Tel: +1 951 256-2768
        mobile +1 216 272-0872

        On Feb 6, 2012, at 9:58 PM, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

        > I'm ready to install street lights on my layout. I'd like to hear from anyone using the Brawa pin-socket light system.
        >
        > Do you think the LED lights are too white/cool and would you have preferred using warmer incandescent lights instead?
        >
        > Just talking esthetics here.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Eileen

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
          I haven't seen them but you can paint over the LED's with clear model paint, typically RC Car paint. You can get it in small glass bottles. Tan, Brown, Yellow and Oranges. I've used the Brown. It is clear so it some times takes 2-3 coats so you really can't go wrong. You can also wipe it off the LED (they are made from essentialy an epoxy resin, virtually nothing will hurt them).

          Use lower currents so they're not too bright. Most white LED's are super intense (effecient) compared to say red, orange yellow and green ones. For 12 volts DC, try at least a 10K (10,000) ohm +/- 5K. Maybe even 20-30 K ohm. 1/4 Watt is more than enough. Note: it is not good to use the AC voltage from the Accessory terminals as this causes a reverse polarity to the LED each half AC cycle and is much higher than the LED can handle. They'll survive, its just not good design practice !

          Jeff M
          SF Bay Area Z

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
            Thanks, Henri. I thought the Brawa light was really white, but if it is warm, that's good. I would be happy with it.

            Eileen

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Henri Seynaeve <HSeynaeve@...> wrote:

            > The Brawa light is just great, provide a warn light.
            > For an industrial layout I will take a white LED otherwise the Brawa is fine.
            >
            > This is my 2 cents
            > Henri
            >
            > Henri Seynaeve
            > IT Engineering C.O.E.
            > Tel: +1 951 256-2768
            > mobile +1 216 272-0872

          • Kevin Brady
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
              Hi Eileen,all,

              See: http://www.ngineering.com/led_coloring.htm

              Kev

              --
              Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

            • misszscale
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                Thanks for the good advice Jeff. I like the idea of painting them with clear model paint if they are too white. I keep my accessories on a completely separate low watt DC circuit. It isolates them if there are problems.

                Eileen

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

                > I haven't seen them but you can paint over the LED's with clear model paint, typically RC Car paint. You can get it in small glass bottles. Tan, Brown, Yellow and Oranges. I've used the Brown. It is clear so it some times takes 2-3 coats so you really can't go wrong. You can also wipe it off the LED (they are made from essentialy an epoxy resin, virtually nothing will hurt them).
                >
                > Use lower currents so they're not too bright. Most white LED's are super intense (effecient) compared to say red, orange yellow and green ones. For 12 volts DC, try at least a 10K (10,000) ohm +/- 5K. Maybe even 20-30 K ohm. 1/4 Watt is more than enough. Note: it is not good to use the AC voltage from the Accessory terminals as this causes a reverse polarity to the LED each half AC cycle and is much higher than the LED can handle. They'll survive, its just not good design practice !
                >

                > Jeff M
                > SF Bay Area Z

              • Rainer Kuhn
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                  Hi Eileen,
                  Can you please give me the model number for those lights?

                  Thanks

                  Ray Kuhn

                  ________________________________
                  Thanks, Henri. I thought the Brawa light was really white, but if it is warm, that's good. I would be happy with it.

                  Eileen

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Henri Seynaeve <HSeynaeve@...> wrote:

                  > The Brawa light is just great, provide a warn light.
                  > For an industrial layout I will take a white LED otherwise the Brawa is fine.
                  >
                  > This is my 2 cents
                  > Henri
                  >
                  > Henri Seynaeve
                  > IT Engineering C.O.E.
                  > Tel: +1 951 256-2768
                  > mobile +1 216 272-0872

                • misszscale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                    Hi Ray,

                    I'm looking at Walthers part #186-4023. When the manufacturers return from the Nuremberg Toy Fair later this month, I hope Z scalers will have more choices.

                    Eileen

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Rainer Kuhn <rayas911@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Eileen,
                    > Can you please give me the model number for those lights?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Ray Kuhn
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Kevin Brady
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                      Hi all,
                      Brawa Z lights are 48XX numbered.

                      Kev

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                        These are probably N scale but they will fit my layout just fine. I'm looking forward to a full Brawa Z scale line this Spring.

                        Eileen

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        > Brawa Z lights are 48XX numbered.
                        >
                        > Kev

                      • David Mummery
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                          Hey Eileen & Gang,

                          Did you check out;

                          www.eurorailhobbies.com

                          Nothing against Walthers but these guys are in Langley, BC and more times then not comes in at least 1/3 less.
                          If nothing else worth a look and it doesn't cost you anything to look.
                          Good Luck,
                          Dave

                          Dave Mummery

                          http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                          http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

                          From: misszscale <spangle543@...>
                          Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:38:20
                          To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> , Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          > Brawa Z lights are 48XX numbered.
                          >
                          > Kev

                        • misszscale
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                            Thanks Dave! I sure did check out Eurorail Hobbies. I've spoken to them twice in the last two days. Great people! They don't have anything right now but new Brawa z scale stock is coming there in a couple of months!

                            Eileen

                          • ztrack@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                              We do have a few Brawa lights in stock. Here is the link.

                              http://www.ztrackresale.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=45

                              Rob

                              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                              Distributor American Z Line
                              Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Tenshodo
                              and Rokuhan dealer.
                              www.ztrack.com
                              www.ztrackcenter.com
                              www.ztrackresale.com
                              www.rokuhan-store.com
                              6142 Northcliff Blvd
                              Dublin OH 43016
                              (614) 764-1703

                            • misszscale
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 7, 2012
                                Thanks for sharing this information, Rob.

                                Eileen