Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Question concerning structures & buildings

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi all,

      not really: http://www.nelug.org/index.php?page=2

      Best,Kev

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:02 AM, dr strangelove <kaiserwillieii0815@...

      --
      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • flyerbait
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David" <iplayfhorn@...> wrote:

        > That sounds like a great idea. I had thought about making buildings out of balsa wood blocks at one time, but then realized that although my dad is a master at building stuff, I evidently didn't get that gene.

        Heh. I used to wonder about that as well, both my brother and myself can out scratch build our father and grandfather when it comes to model trains, both of us were building our own buildings and kits (because of a lack of money to get kits or materials) before we hit double digits. We caught the train bug off them, and I believe because of our interest and drive and lack of cash turned us both into pretty fair modelers.. that and the constant raiding of the collections of stuff the old's had gathered ;)

        But I would suggest that you start simple. Join a club who has a club layout that still is in need of buildings, senery items, etc, in a larger scale like N, H.O or O and work with several other experienced model builders building stuff for the club layout. Then take what you learn home and do it for your own. I did my first building out of balsa wood, card and paper and PVA (white) glue, with an old single blade disposable razor blade, a pencil and a wooden school ruler.. lolz painted it up with watered down house paint and colour pencils, no idea what happened to it, but i was damn proud of it, eventually it got binned when i realized how out of scale it was, and badly made. but so what, thats how we learn.

        You dont need a lot of stuff to practice. If you have a printer, i suggest u jump on line and google up some free card models, print them out on 220 gsm card, in what ever scale u find them, reinforce them and glue them up. Do a bunch of them, then take a look at the first one, then the 10th one u do and look at the huge difference in your skill level in just a short time. Then give them away, then find the few that are around in 1:200 and 1:220 for free (yeah there are a few around), and make them up. Then repaint them. doesn't mater if u ruin it, you can always print out another and do it again. Then, try combining several of them into a single building. Americanize the euro buildings, Euro the american ones. The most expensive thing u are going to use is the printer ink. Packs of 200-250 gsm card (thickness of the card) in A4 size is cheap in packs of 50 or 100. Glue with Superglue or PVA, even glue sticks, paing with cheap acrilics, detail with fine tip pens and pencils. spray with a cheap finish mat varnish.

        If u got young relitives, like nephews who play with die cast cars or HO trains or military or 40K gaming im sure they would love some card buildings with garages to park them in, and no harm done if they end up breaking or destroying them. all the time you build up your skills fast and cheaply. why not just print one out now in paper, glue it to the back of some card from a cereal box, trim it up ? :)

        Lee
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2012
          When scratch building large buildings, I size them based on the MARKLIN five story apartment building that is 3.5x3x3 inches (LWH).

          I've also printed out a few buildings. Some things I do to "make them better" is; spray lightly with Dullcote, then put a drop of gloss varnish on each widow, add a chimney and a couple of vent pipes; if it has vegetation on it, I paint it with glue and add suitably colored ground cover. In some cases, I've glued fine grit sandpaper to the top to give it a textured roof.