Re: [Z_Scale] Bob Mitchell's Temporarily Highjacked

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
      On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:54:40 -0800 (PST)
      Cliff Smith <cliffiniraq3@...> wrote:

      > Here is how a hack works.......
      >
      > Someone gets the virus, either by visiting a site or getting an email and opening it.
      > The bot attacks YOUR address list, everyone on it gets sent the virus, and repeats the virus FROM your name.
      >
      > The only way to stop them is to NOT open weird emails or from people you did not request something from.  Yes, Delete is the best, and forget about them.

      And have an up to date system with proper security setup (which on its
      own will save you 99% of the time.. but there is always the 1%)

      More importantly though there have been a spate of these on yahoo, and
      I've helped people who got caught with chasing them down. In each case the
      attacker has obtained or guessed the yahoo email account password of the
      victim and was using it to spam everything rather than having used a
      virus. (or if they did the virus got cleaned up ages ago but they didn't
      change the password and it had been grabbed).

      So - if you have a web based email account make sure it has a strong
      password that cannot be guessed by people running the dictionary at yahoo
      all day (including things like i/1 0/o conversions and so-on).

      If you do get caught by it or a virus you *need* to change your passwords
      as well because many viruses and trojans log passwords, credit card
      numbers etc typed into the keyboard.

      Alan
    • Garth
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
        This is the sort of thing a good anti virus piece of software on your computer will stop dead in its tracks and is sure allot cheaper than cleaning up after the fact.

        regards Garth