Re: [Z_Scale] Bob Mitchell's Temporarily Highjacked

  • Kevin Brady
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi Reynard,all,
      Happened on a few groups today. It is not a list problem
      but a Yahoo problem.Some @8888 hammered a few accounts and spammed the
      lists,...
      Report as spam,delete.

      Best,Kev

      --
      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • David Mummery
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hey Gang,

        It happened on every Yahoo group I belong to, mainly yesterday and this morning.

        From the sounds of it Yahoo was attacked pretty hard.

        Dave

        Dave Mummery

        http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
        http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

        From: Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
        Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 00:25:50
        To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Bob Mitchell's Temporarily Highjacked

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • Cliff Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          Here is how a hack works.......

          Someone gets the virus, either by visiting a site or getting an email and opening it.
          The bot attacks YOUR address list, everyone on it gets sent the virus, and repeats the virus FROM your name.

          The only way to stop them is to NOT open weird emails or from people you did not request something from.  Yes, Delete is the best, and forget about them.

          Cliff
          SSgt USMC, Retired
          '08 TITAN
          '86 Yamaha FZX-R
          Z scale trains

          It happened on every Yahoo group I belong to, mainly yesterday and this morning.

          From the sounds of it Yahoo was attacked pretty hard.

          From: Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>
          Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 00:25:50
          To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>

          --
          Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
            One big problem.  How do you keep a curious wife from opening something that she thinks is interesting?Thats how I got my address book stolen.  No I did not go to Scotland.Ed Scullin

            From: Kevin Brady <kbvrod@...>

            Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 00:25:50

            To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>

            --

            Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

          • Don Fedjur
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
              Well that is easy.......don't let your wife into your e-mail address/account and give her a computer that is all her own. >-)-

              Don Fedjur
              mobile phone; 760-861-5161

              Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:54:40 -0800 (PST)
                Cliff Smith <cliffiniraq3@...> wrote:

                > Here is how a hack works.......
                >
                > Someone gets the virus, either by visiting a site or getting an email and opening it.
                > The bot attacks YOUR address list, everyone on it gets sent the virus, and repeats the virus FROM your name.
                >
                > The only way to stop them is to NOT open weird emails or from people you did not request something from.  Yes, Delete is the best, and forget about them.

                And have an up to date system with proper security setup (which on its
                own will save you 99% of the time.. but there is always the 1%)

                More importantly though there have been a spate of these on yahoo, and
                I've helped people who got caught with chasing them down. In each case the
                attacker has obtained or guessed the yahoo email account password of the
                victim and was using it to spam everything rather than having used a
                virus. (or if they did the virus got cleaned up ages ago but they didn't
                change the password and it had been grabbed).

                So - if you have a web based email account make sure it has a strong
                password that cannot be guessed by people running the dictionary at yahoo
                all day (including things like i/1 0/o conversions and so-on).

                If you do get caught by it or a virus you *need* to change your passwords
                as well because many viruses and trojans log passwords, credit card
                numbers etc typed into the keyboard.

                Alan
              • Garth
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                  This is the sort of thing a good anti virus piece of software on your computer will stop dead in its tracks and is sure allot cheaper than cleaning up after the fact.

                  regards Garth