Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Replacing dead motors

  • Cliff Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2012
      Hehehe, you said "stay on track".......should of said, "stay on z track" in a german voice......

      Cliff SSgt USMC, Retired '08 TITAN '86 Yamaha FZX-R Z scale trains

      From: Michael
      Date: 1/31/2012 10:11:19 AM
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Replacing dead motors

      If you guys are gonna talk airplanes, please find another forum...

      Michael

      > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:52:28 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
      > "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Does that harp playing come with wings?
      >
      > No .. and I'd have thought it was a very impractical instrument to try
      > and play in flight to be honest.
      >
      > Alan

    • Malcolm Cleaveland
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2012
        FolkZ,

        Don Fedjur e-mailed me and will see what he can do with my dead engines.
        Someone asked me how I burned them out. The answer is, I don't think I
        did. I brought one of subject locos to the 2005 NTS in its original
        wrappings for a little BYOZ running, but it never ran. Rob Albritton was
        kind enough to dissect the loco (I think Hans may have observed the
        operation, not sure). Rob tested everything out and finally decided that
        the motor was DOA. The other loco never ran either, so I suspect that its
        case was similar. Both of these were Aijin locos, and I suspect that
        quality control was not their long suit. Either that or they managed to
        burn out the motors in a test run. But I suspect there was no test run,
        just defective motors out of the box.

        A disclaimer here. I'm not knocking AZL here; they have a **marvelous**
        product line and most of my AZL locos are great runners. In fact, I've
        had better luck with AZL locos than MTL locos, although I have some MTL
        locos that are great runners, too. Maybe I'm just a bit snakebit where
        MTL locos are concerned.

        Lesson: This hobby needs to expand its service capabilities. Too many
        people who repair N scale stuff won't touch Z scale. That hurts us. God
        bless Don Fedjur and the Stiskas and those other brave souls who venture
        where the all-thumbs (like me) fear to tread.

        CheerZ,
        -- Malcolm Z
        MCZ Models