Most Wanted Freight Cars??

  • pat@miracle-castings.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 28, 2001
      Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
      freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me in
      the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't been,
      may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a thing?
      Thanks,

      Pat Lawless
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
        Hi Gang,

        Any time that a prospective Z manufacturer makes a request for a
        poll, I'm happy to oblige. Unfortunately, the poll function does not
        allow for open ended questions. This is not a problem! We'll simply
        ask members to send in their suggestions for new North American
        rolling stock.

        As you know, Micro-Trains Line, Märklin and several small shops
        have produced and continue to produce North American style rolling
        stock. Here is a list of the body styles currently available
        in "plastic" (AFAIK):

        Micro-Trains Line: http://www.micro-trains.com/carstyle.htm
        50' Gondola, Fishbelly Side, w/ Drop Ends
        50' Gondola, Straight Side, w/ Drop Ends
        50' Standard Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
        50' Standard Box Car, Plug Door
        50' Standard Box Car, Double Doors Operating Doors
        40' Despatch Stock Car Operating Door
        40' Double-Sheathed Wood Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
        40' Standard Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
        50' Rib Side Box Car, Single Door, w/o Roofwalk Operating Door
        40' Eight Panel Gondola
        39' Single Dome Tank Car
        40' Flat Car
        40' Bulkhead Flat Car
        Caboose
        40' Standard Box Car, Double Doors Operating Doors
        40' Standard Box Car, Plug Door

        Pennzee:
        3 bay hopper
        40' reefer

        Märklin:
        50' single door steel box
        40' gondola
        50' flat
        end cupola steel caboose
        single dome tank car

        Ztrack: (resin)
        heavy duty well car
        heavy duty well car w/transformer

        That's all I have been able to come up with. If there are more,
        please let me know.

        *************************
        Now for the question: What North American rolling stock would you
        like to see on the market?
        *************************

        Send your suggestions to the list. I will compile them and later
        start a poll to see which ones get the most votes.

        Ok, just to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my favorites:
        - 3 bay covered hopper
        - depressed center flat car
        - cylindrical hopper
        - express reefer (52')
        - 50' flat

        So jump right in!

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan
        Poll jumper ;-)

      • mage@macconnect.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
          --- In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote:

          > Ok, just to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my favorites:
          > - 3 bay covered hopper

          That's one that I would very much like. I do the Texas Gulf Coast and
          the chemical plants down here have been using them for a long time.
        • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
            I'd like to see heavy duty flatcars....like the low deck, 6 wheel truck
            variety....

            Also - I would love a crane car other than Maerklins somewhat cheezy
            option....

            I think the double deck automobile transport wagons of the 60's-70's would
            be neato.

            !!!Maintenance Of Way equipment!!!

            Ted LaMar

            jmac_han@hotm
            ail.com To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            cc:
            10/30/2001 Subject: [z_scale] Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars?? Email
            08:36 AM poll.
            Please
            respond to
            z_scale

            --- In z_scale@y..., pat@m... wrote:
            > Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
            > freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me in
            > the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't been,
            > may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a
            thing?
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Pat Lawless

          • M. Gottschalch
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
              There are of course the cars from Freudenreich.

              Gundersen Husky Stack
              TWIN BAY HOPPER
              Hoppers w/notched peak ends
              Coke car
              48' Unit Train Gondola with half tube troughs

              see at http://home.t-online.de/home/FR.model/
              --
              Manfred
              63 E FHC
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                --- jmac_han@... wrote:
                SNIP

                > Send your suggestions to the list. I will compile them and later
                > start a poll to see which ones get the most votes.
                >
                > Ok, just to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my favorites:
                > - 3 bay covered hopper
                > - depressed center flat car
                > - cylindrical hopper
                > - express reefer (52')
                > - 50' flat
                >
                > So jump right in!
                SNIP
                OK

                Outside braced box car
                ore car for mines 2 ft guage
                Logging car
                Ballast car
                slag car to go with foundry
                passenger cars, both older and newer
                What about a standard 40 foot box with interchangeable sides, sort of
                like the old HO kits
                My $.02
                Ed Scullin

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • Reynard Wellman
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                  Yes, I have a couple of Harald Freudenreich's hoppers and they are
                  beautiful. Also Chris Miller at http://www.microstru.com/ made a bunch of
                  hopper kits and they sold out real fast. He even included a "practice"
                  template out of card stock so that when it came to building the actual brass
                  car, you would get the folds right.

                  But plastic cars are lighter therefor you can pull more cars than with the
                  heavy brass ones (darn gravity).

                  We also need some Intermodal cars, with loads; Covered automobile carriers;
                  Bay Window cabooses; Multi-dome tank cars; covered gondolas; 30s style
                  Pullman coaches.

                  Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

                • bjkronen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                    Ted:

                    > I'd like to see heavy duty flatcars....like the low deck, 6 wheel truck
                    > variety....

                    Depressed center flatcar with 3 axle trucks, complete with the proper truck
                    sideframes?

                    A nameless Mom/Pop company makes them. I have one, and so do several others
                    here in the local group. Some come with "heavy" loads, some are empty. Not
                    quite up to MT quality, but from 12 inches away they look outstanding.

                    Check with Bob's Trains for current availability. That's were we got ours.

                    Bill K.
                    Houston
                  • bjkronen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                      All:

                      Before all those interested in depressed center flatcars contact "Bob's
                      Trains" only to bewilder them with your inquiry, I misspoke.

                      Rather, I should have said Bob's Model Railroad Supplies
                      http://members.tripod.com/bmrrs/Bmrrs1.htm

                      They were still being sold at the NTS this summer. Yes, its probably a
                      limited run item. It's more work to build cars in a garage shop than most
                      Mom/Pop shops can deal with over time and they stop.

                      Sorry,
                      Bill K.
                      Houston

                      > > I'd like to see heavy duty flatcars....like the low deck, 6 wheel truck
                      > > variety....
                      >
                      > Depressed center flatcar with 3 axle trucks, complete with the proper
                      truck
                      > sideframes?
                      >
                      > A nameless Mom/Pop company makes them. I have one, and so do several
                      others
                      > here in the local group. Some come with "heavy" loads, some are empty.
                      Not
                      > quite up to MT quality, but from 12 inches away they look outstanding.
                      >
                      > Check with Bob's Trains for current availability. That's were we got ours.
                      >
                      > Bill K.
                      > Houston
                    • D. A. Karp
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                        There was a thread on this list about 3-bay covered hoppers a few months
                        ago, and I suggested an add-on top for PennZee hoppers. I haven't gotten
                        around to this (it's on a very long list of projects yet-to-be-completed),
                        but I have some ideas of how this could be done easily and cheaply. If
                        there's interest, I'll write up an article for an upcoming issue of ZTrack
                        Magazine...

                        -David

                        At 05:29 PM 10/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                        > > - 3 bay covered hopper
                        > >
                        >That's one that I would very much like. I do the Texas Gulf Coast and
                        >the chemical plants down here have been using them for a long time.

                        http://www.zscale.org/
                      • Edward Scullin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                          I got mine from Ztrack with the industrial transformer, it is
                          available without the trafo. It is not a true drop center flat
                          rather more of a well center. The transformer is also available
                          separately.
                          Ed Scullin
                          --- bjkronen@... wrote:
                          > Ted:
                          >
                          > > I'd like to see heavy duty flatcars....like the low deck, 6 wheel
                          > truck
                          > > variety....
                          >
                          > Depressed center flatcar with 3 axle trucks, complete with the
                          > proper truck
                          > sideframes?
                          >
                          > A nameless Mom/Pop company makes them. I have one, and so do
                          > several others
                          > here in the local group. Some come with "heavy" loads, some are
                          > empty. Not
                          > quite up to MT quality, but from 12 inches away they look
                          > outstanding.
                          >
                          > Check with Bob's Trains for current availability. That's were we
                          > got ours.
                          >
                          > Bill K.
                          > Houston

                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                        • D. A. Karp
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                            Jeffrey and the gang,

                            Here are my votes (limiting to American freight rolling stock):

                            1. Russel Snow Plow (Jeffrey - I know you built one)

                            2. US-style slag car; I'm about half-done with my prototype, and I may
                            actually get around to producing them:
                            http://www.zscale.org/products/pictures/slag_us.jpg

                            3. Depressed-center flatcar

                            4. 60' centerbeam flat car

                            5. Cylindrical hopper

                            6. Cushion coil car

                            7. Jordan spreader

                            http://www.zscale.org/
                          • rvn20012000@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                              Hey Group,

                              With regards to freight cars, I wouldn't mind seeing some covered
                              hoppers, and some cylindrical hoppers, and some bi-level(see through)
                              covered auto transports from the '60s?

                              I also wouldn't mind seeing some turn of the century passenger cars
                              like Portland Rails did? and some heavyweight '30s passenger cars. A
                              nice open platform observation car would also be nice. I actually
                              tried that in my early days with unsatisfactory results.

                              As always....ENJOY???
                              Thom

                            • rvn20012000@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001

                                --- In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote:
> [...]
                                >
                                > Send your suggestions to the list. I will compile them and later
                                > start a poll to see which ones get the most votes.
                                >
                                > Ok, just to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my favorites:
                                > - 3 bay covered hopper
                                > - depressed center flat car
                                > - cylindrical hopper
                                > - express reefer (52')
                                > - 50' flat
                                >
                                > So jump right in!
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > Jeffrey MacHan
                                > Poll jumper ;-)
                                >

                                > --- In z_scale@y..., pat@m... wrote:
                                > > Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
                                > > freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me
                                in
                                > > the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't
                                been,
                                > > may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a

                              • Edward Scullin
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                                  Write away. The more things we can do to differentiate our cars the
                                  better. If you are developing loads, another might be a single long
                                  mound of coal like I see some times.
                                  Ed Scullin

                                  --- "D. A. Karp" <z@...> wrote:
                                  > There was a thread on this list about 3-bay covered hoppers a few
                                  > months
                                  > ago, and I suggested an add-on top for PennZee hoppers. I haven't
                                  > gotten
                                  > around to this (it's on a very long list of projects
                                  > yet-to-be-completed),
                                  > but I have some ideas of how this could be done easily and cheaply.
                                  > If
                                  > there's interest, I'll write up an article for an upcoming issue of
                                  > ZTrack
                                  > Magazine...
                                  >
                                  > -David
                                  >

                                  > At 05:29 PM 10/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                  > > > - 3 bay covered hopper
                                  > > >
                                  > >That's one that I would very much like. I do the Texas Gulf Coast
                                  > and
                                  > >the chemical plants down here have been using them for a long
                                  > time.

                                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                                • Edward Scullin
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                                    PennZee makes and sells as either made up or kit the older
                                    "heavyweight" passenger cars. Not to bad, but a bit pricey. Would
                                    like to see somebody make real metal sides for them (Micron Arts or
                                    Micro Structures are you listening?)
                                    Ed Scullin

                                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                                  • D. A. Karp
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                                      Ed,

                                      I've heard references to the passenger cars PennZee made/makes, but I've
                                      never seen a photo. Can you provide more information?

                                      Thanks,

                                      -David

                                      http://www.zscale.org/
                                    • ztrack@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                                        Bill,

                                        The cars came from a gentleman named Bob Marrota. He is the same guy making
                                        the Ztrack well cars, transformers and accessories. They are great cars, even
                                        being made from cast resin. Bob is meticulous and his work shows it.

                                        Rob Kluz

                                        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                        Dublin, OH 43016
                                        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                                        www.ztrack.com
                                      • Edward Scullin
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                                          The cars are resin castings. They consist of the floor, two sides ,
                                          two ends, and roof. They have Baggage, Combine, Coach, Diner, and
                                          Pullman. They come unassembled, and without trucks. Bob Olsen
                                          recommends Marklin Passenger Trucks, but I'm using Micro Trains. My
                                          price list a few years old, and at that time the kits were $25 each,
                                          5 for $100. Pre made and painted $60 each and 5 for $280. I wish
                                          they had better detail, and not so much cleanup. One day I will
                                          finish the ones I have started. They look Good so far.
                                          Ed Scullin

                                          --- "D. A. Karp" <z@...> wrote:
                                          > Ed,
                                          >
                                          > I've heard references to the passenger cars PennZee made/makes, but
                                          > I've
                                          > never seen a photo. Can you provide more information?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          >
                                          > -David
                                          >

                                          > At 05:09 PM 10/30/2001 -0800, you wrote:
                                          > >PennZee makes and sells as either made up or kit the older
                                          > >"heavyweight" passenger cars. Not to bad, but a bit pricey.
                                          > Would
                                          > >like to see somebody make real metal sides for them (Micron Arts
                                          > or
                                          > >Micro Structures are you listening?)
                                          > >Ed Scullin

                                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                                        • Scott A. Whitmire
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 30, 2001
                                            At 10/30/01 08:36 AM, you wrote:
                                            >*************************
                                            >Now for the question: What North American rolling stock would you
                                            >like to see on the market?
                                            >*************************
                                            >
                                            >Send your suggestions to the list. I will compile them and later
                                            >start a poll to see which ones get the most votes.
                                            >
                                            >Ok, just to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my favorites:
                                            >- 3 bay covered hopper
                                            >- depressed center flat car
                                            >- cylindrical hopper
                                            >- express reefer (52')
                                            >- 50' flat
                                            >
                                            >So jump right in!
                                            >
                                            >Cheers,
                                            >Jeffrey MacHan

                                            17,000, 23,000 gal tankers
                                            60' 8" Centerbeam flat car (Gunderson or Thrall) (I need about two dozen in
                                            different road numbers :-)
                                            Thrall all-door box cars
                                            60' Bulkhead flat cars
                                            Hi-Cube 50-60' box cars
                                            Autorailers!
                                            A variety of articulated container cars (Husky, etc.)
                                            Containers of all kinds
                                            And the locos to pull them, of course (C44-9W that I can afford, SD70,
                                            SD60Ms, etc.)

                                            Scott Whitmire
                                          • Reynard Wellman
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 31, 2001
                                              Hello Ed,
                                              There's a lot of details that take forever to nail down. Building any kind
                                              of a railroad car requires research and purchasing of research materials. I
                                              use NMRA services for some of these things but most of the time dimensioned
                                              drawings and original paint standards are almost impossible to find. We have
                                              many requests for new products from bridges to freight cars to turnout
                                              motors.

                                              Those guys who are willing to supply detailed information get priority. And
                                              even though we may decide that such a project is not feasible at this time
                                              sometimes an idea does get all the way to production.

                                              "Whadda ya got?"

                                              Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

                                              > PennZee makes and sells as either made up or kit the older
                                              > "heavyweight" passenger cars. Not to bad, but a bit pricey. Would
                                              > like to see somebody make real metal sides for them (Micron Arts or
                                              > Micro Structures are you listening?)
                                              > Ed Scullin
                                              >
                                              > --- rvn20012000@... wrote:
                                              >> Hey Group,
                                              >>
                                              >> With regards to freight cars, I wouldn't mind seeing some covered
                                              >> hoppers, and some cylindrical hoppers, and some bi-level(see
                                              >> through)
                                              >> covered auto transports from the '60s?
                                              >>
                                              >> I also wouldn't mind seeing some turn of the century passenger cars
                                              >>
                                              >> like Portland Rails did? and some heavyweight '30s passenger cars.
                                              >> nice open platform observation car would also be nice. I actually
                                              >> tried that in my early days with unsatisfactory results.
                                              >>
                                              >> As always....ENJOY???
                                              >> Thom
                                              >>

                                              >> --- In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote:
                                              >>> Hi Gang,
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Any time that a prospective Z manufacturer makes a request for a
                                              >>> poll, I'm happy to oblige. Unfortunately, the poll function does
                                              >>
                                              >> not
                                              >>> allow for open ended questions. This is not a problem! We'll
                                              >> simply
                                              >>> ask members to send in their suggestions for new North American
                                              >>> rolling stock.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> As you know, Micro-Trains Line, M?rklin and several small shops
                                              >>> have produced and continue to produce North American style
                                              >> rolling
                                              >>> stock. Here is a list of the body styles currently available
                                              >>> in "plastic" (AFAIK):
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Micro-Trains Line: http://www.micro-trains.com/carstyle.htm
                                              >>> 50' Gondola, Fishbelly Side, w/ Drop Ends
                                              >>> 50' Gondola, Straight Side, w/ Drop Ends
                                              >>> 50' Standard Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
                                              >>> 50' Standard Box Car, Plug Door
                                              >>> 50' Standard Box Car, Double Doors Operating Doors
                                              >>> 40' Despatch Stock Car Operating Door
                                              >>> 40' Double-Sheathed Wood Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
                                              >>> 40' Standard Box Car, Single Door Operating Door
                                              >>> 50' Rib Side Box Car, Single Door, w/o Roofwalk Operating Door
                                              >>> 40' Eight Panel Gondola
                                              >>> 39' Single Dome Tank Car
                                              >>> 40' Flat Car
                                              >>> 40' Bulkhead Flat Car
                                              >>> Caboose
                                              >>> 40' Standard Box Car, Double Doors Operating Doors
                                              >>> 40' Standard Box Car, Plug Door
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Pennzee:
                                              >>> 3 bay hopper
                                              >>> 40' reefer
                                              >>>
                                              >>> M?rklin:
                                              >>> 50' single door steel box
                                              >>> 40' gondola

                                            • ddechamp71@yahoo.fr
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
                                                --- In z_scale@y..., pat@m... wrote:
                                                > Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
                                                > freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me in
                                                > the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't been,
                                                > may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a
                                                thing?
                                                > Thanks,
                                                >
                                                > Pat Lawless

                                                In my case, I would want, in the decreasing order:
                                                1-a covered grain hopper
                                                2-a covered chemical hopper
                                                3-a modern hi capacity tank car
                                                3-a tri-level autorack.
                                                Cheers
                                                Dominique
                                              • grumpy@gbpackers.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 1, 2001
                                                  On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:47:48 -0000 (GMT), ddechamp71@... wrote:
                                                  > --- In z_scale@y..., pat@m... wrote:
                                                  > > Hi All! Has there ever been a survey done of which North American
                                                  > > freight cars are most wanted by modellers? Could anyone point me in
                                                  > > the right direction to the results (if any)? If there hasn't been,
                                                  > > may I respectfully suggest that the moderator consider such a
                                                  > thing?
                                                  > > Thanks,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Pat Lawless
                                                  >
                                                  > In my case, I would want, in the decreasing order:
                                                  > 1-a covered grain hopper
                                                  > 2-a covered chemical hopper
                                                  > 3-a modern hi capacity tank car
                                                  > 3-a tri-level autorack.
                                                  > Cheers
                                                  > Dominique

                                                  Ditto

                                                  Tom
                                                  Oz

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                                  Get your own email account at gbpackers.com today!

                                                  Click here <http://www.packers.com/email/> to open your account.
                                                • Wild Zontar
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 2, 2001
                                                    OK, here are my votes:

                                                    1. Covered grain hoppers
                                                    2. Intermodal - w/North American truck lines
                                                    3. Glass-lined tank cars (or tank cars in any color other than black)
                                                    4. Autoracks (open-sided)

                                                    Greg