New RELCO problem

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2001
      Hi all,

      On the heels of some recent discussions concerning Relcos, my own three
      Relco units have recently and simultaneously developed a new problem which
      has unfortunately rendered them unusable.

      Now, when I switch on my Relcos, the track voltage jumps to about 8 volts
      (it actually wavers between 7.9V and 8.6V), regardless of the throttle
      setting. Granted, I'm not using a standard Marklin throttle, but whether
      it's at 100% or zero, the Relco appears to be powering my trains.

      I'm skeptical that it's merely a Relco failure, as all three starting doing
      this simultaneously. I haven't changed any wiring, and until this
      happened, they had been working fine for several months.

      Has anyone else run into this problem?

      Thanks,

      -David
      http://www.zscale.org/
    • jcubbin@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
        David,

        Did you ever find out what the cause of this problem was? Also, on your site at:

        http://www.zscale.org/articles/cleaning.html#electronic

        You said, " The Relco does tend to occasionally emit a loud, annoying hum when it is active, so I tend to only use it when necessary."

        Is it possible this is a relay clicking on? If that's the case do you think replacing it's internal relay with a reed relay would be possible?

        John
        http://www.ztrains.com
        Exploring Basic Z Scale Ideas

        --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > On the heels of some recent discussions concerning Relcos, my own three
        > Relco units have recently and simultaneously developed a new problem which
        > has unfortunately rendered them unusable.
        >
        > Now, when I switch on my Relcos, the track voltage jumps to about 8 volts
        > (it actually wavers between 7.9V and 8.6V), regardless of the throttle
        > setting. Granted, I'm not using a standard Marklin throttle, but whether
        > it's at 100% or zero, the Relco appears to be powering my trains.
        >
        > I'm skeptical that it's merely a Relco failure, as all three starting doing
        > this simultaneously. I haven't changed any wiring, and until this
        > happened, they had been working fine for several months.
        >
        > Has anyone else run into this problem?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > -David
        > http://www.zscale.org/
      • Helmut Paule
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
          one of mine hummed on day, I took it apart
          and found one the HF-core was loose !

          "Z" Greetings
          Helmut

          PS: stiskas explained earlier on the list how to take it apart!