5 pole or 3 pole?

  • frederick.gordts@advalvas.be
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
      Does anyone know how to check a Marklin Z loc to see whether is the
      old 3 pole or new 5 pole engine?

      Frederick
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
        Frederick,

        Open up your locomotive, and count the motor armature windings. You'll see
        either three or five poles. Full details are here:
        http://www.zscale.org/articles/fivepole.html#tell

        -David

        At 06:12 PM 10/25/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >Does anyone know how to check a Marklin Z loc to see whether is the
        >old 3 pole or new 5 pole engine?
        >
        >Frederick

        http://www.zscale.org/
      • M. Gottschalch
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
          frederick.gordts@... wrote:

          > Does anyone know how to check a Marklin Z loc to see whether is the
          > old 3 pole or new 5 pole engine?
          >
          > Frederick

          Look at the electric motor and count the metal pieces on the commutator.
          See if there are 3 or 5.
          --
          Manfred
          63 E FHC
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
            Thanks for the tip, Manfred. You nudged out David Karp by 2 minutes
            so your answer is now enshrined in the "Z Tricks of Z Trade" database.

            Congratulations!

            Of course, your answer provided a perfect opportunity for me to plug
            the database section of Z_Scale. I hope that members find it
            useful. If you have tips or tricks of Z trade that could be added to
            the db, please send them along to the list or update the db directly.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan
            listMom

            --- In z_scale@y..., "M. Gottschalch" <megott@u...> wrote:
            > frederick.gordts@a... wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know how to check a Marklin Z loc to see whether is
            the
            > > old 3 pole or new 5 pole engine?
            > >
            > > Frederick
            > >
            > Look at the electric motor and count the metal pieces on the
            commutator.
            > See if there are 3 or 5.
            > --
            > Manfred
            > 63 E FHC
            > 86 XJ6
          • D. A. Karp
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
              Jeffrey,

              Why don't you put both answers in the database? My answer contains a link
              to my site with full instructions, photos, and more information...

              (Time for my own plug)

              -David

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                D. A. Karp wrote:

                > Jeffrey,
                >
                > Why don't you put both answers in the database? My answer contains a link
                > to my site with full instructions, photos, and more information...
                >
                > (Time for my own plug)
                >
                > -David

                Sounds like a good idea to me also.
                --
                Manfred
              • D. A. Karp
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                  Frederick,

                  While a locomotive equipped with a 5-pole motor will exhibit better running
                  behavior than a 3-pole unit, the situation you're describing can be caused
                  by a variety of conditions. Here is some more information...

                  To improve the running of any locomotive, see:
                  http://www.zscale.org/articles/revival.html

                  Electronic track cleaners can help reduce this type of stalling:
                  http://www.zscale.org/articles/cleaning.html#electronic

                  To see what advantages 5-pole motors have over 3-pole motors, see:
                  http://www.zscale.org/articles/fivepole.html#need

                  Hope this helps!

                  -David

                  http://www.zscale.org/
                • frederick.gordts@advalvas.be
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                    Thanks!

                    I have 3 non-e locs: a 88921 (5-pole), a 81561 (5-pole, because your
                    list says 3-pole doesn't exist) and a 81780 (3-pole, definitely).
                    When I drive 100, only the 88921 (5-pole) moves at a "normal" speed.
                    Both the 81561 and the 81780 move very, very slowly. If both the 5-
                    pole locs would do the same, then I would understand. I do however
                    notice that the 3-pole loc runs slower, even with a speed of 175.

                    Frederick

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
                      Hey, David, now that's a great idea. I'll update the tip with your
                      new website URL. ;-)

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey

                      --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:
                      > Jeffrey,
                      >
                      > Why don't you put both answers in the database? My answer
                      contains a link
                      > to my site with full instructions, photos, and more information...
                      >
                      > (Time for my own plug)
                      >
                      > -David
                    • D. A. Karp
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 27, 2001
                        Frederick,

                        I rarely see two different models perform exactly the same. The gearing
                        varies, as does the weight, the size of the drivers, the amount of
                        congealed oil, dirt on the wheels, and a few hundred other things. The
                        best thing you can do is to clean and lube your engines so that each runs
                        its best, and then adjust the throttle so that your train is running as
                        fast or as slow as you like.

                        Hint: the numbers on the Marklin power packs don't really mean anything...

                        -David

                        http://www.zscale.org/