Re: [Z_Scale] Z Subways?

  • reynard wellman
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
      Right, Ed! I've been doing that for years now but nobody has
      ever seen it ;>)

      Not really.

      However, there is a wonderful way to do an urban layout using
      such trains. The BART system in the "bay area" is designed for
      trains operating at "Grade", "Aerial" and "Underground". Using such standards
      one can really show off passenger travel in a complex urban setting.
      I have yet to see anyone in the US, no matter what scale, actually tackle this
      kind of a layout but it does make sense. Instead of little choo-choos peeping
      thru a corner tunnel cliche, one could have modern electric trains disappearing
      down into a subway entrance for trains below a significant "Main Street"
      and the reappearing at the other end to run along grade and eventually end up
      climbing up a few risers for an aerial section over all the mid-town traffic. Cool.

      Diesels and steamers would look out of place on such a layout.

      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com

      On Nov 8, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Edward Scullin wrote:

      > You really don't need the trains. Just put some stairways going down on the layout. Tell everybody that they are there, but you can't see them because they are under ground. GRINEd Scullin

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
        The only sets that I know of that might count as subway sets are the 209-500 series of commuter trains put out by Pro-Z of Japan. They are used both above and below ground and run from overhead power not third rail.Of course the pans are plastic so only simulate overhead operation. I doubt you will find this set from Loren at Stonebridge Models or from Anthony at Z scale Monster, but you might be able to pry one set away from me if you contact me off line. The other place you might find it is from a dealer in Japan. Cars have interior and end lighting.If you have a Pro-Z power pack the cars will stay lit even when stopped in a station, and I might be able to provide one of those as well.The only other person who might be able to find a set is Alex in Japan and you might find him on Z Central station in the chat room from time to time.

        regards Garth [garth.a.hamilton at gmail dot com]

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

        > You really don't need the trains.  Just put some stairways going down on the layout.  Tell everybody that they are there, but you can't see them because they are under ground.  GRIN Ed Scullin

      • Lee Barry
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
          Garth, Lee barry here. Do you know if Alex has changed his e-mail. address. I have tried to contact him several times and my e-mial keeps bouncing back. I used to talk him on e-mail after the Tsunami and he would give me updates. Let me know .Thanks

          The only sets that I know of that might count as subway sets are the 209-500 series of commuter trains put out by Pro-Z of Japan. They are used both above and below ground and run from overhead power not third rail.Of course the pans are plastic so only simulate overhead operation. I doubt you will find this set from Loren at Stonebridge Models or from Anthony at Z scale Monster, but you might be able to pry one set away from me if you contact me off line. The other place you might find it is from a dealer in Japan. Cars have interior and end lighting.If you have a Pro-Z power pack the cars will stay lit even when stopped in a station, and I might be able to provide one of those as well.The only other person who might be able to find a set is Alex in Japan and you might find him on Z Central station in the chat room from time to time.

          regards Garth [garth.a.hamilton at gmail dot com]

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

          > You really don't need the trains.  Just put some stairways going down on the layout.  Tell everybody that they are there, but you can't see them because they are under ground.  GRIN Ed Scullin

        • Lee Barry
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
            Hi Reynard, Lee Barry here. I don't know about the steamers and diesels out of place. I just watched and recorded on Trains and Lococmotives on the RFD channel Monday at 6 (oops there go the copyright gestapo at my door again, I figure if I pay for it to come into my house on cable or satellite and once it enters my house it is mine to do as I want). But they had the NYC back in the 20s/30s/40s/ and earlier and there were subways and the trains were running down the center of the main streets, but not as commuters, but as regular freight and passenger trains. If it was done in real time why could it not work on a layout. There would sure be a lot of work to do. I hope whoever tries this is a fairly young person.

[...]

          • John & Sue Bartolotto
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
              Mark,

              Do you mean US style subway cars and for what city style?

              John Bartolotto

              On 11/8/11 3:03 PM, "Don Avila" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

              > *Loren Snyder at <ljsnyder at charter dot net> may carry them and I am
              > pretty sure Anthony at <sales at zscalemonster dot com>
              >
              > Both are EXCELLENT dealers and give good discounts
              >
              > ....don
              > *
              > On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Mark Dewdney <mark@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Hi guys - does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of Z-scale subway
              >> trains?
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> Mark
              >>
              >> mark@...

            • Jack Chase
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
                Same thing here.  I tried to contact Alex earlier today and my email bounced too.
                Jack Chase

                Garth, Lee barry here. Do you know if Alex has changed his e-mail. address. I have tried to contact him several times and my e-mial keeps bouncing back. I used to talk him on e-mail after the Tsunami and he would give me updates. Let me know .Thanks

                The only sets that I know of that might count as subway sets are the 209-500 series of commuter trains put out by Pro-Z of Japan. They are used both above and below ground and run from overhead power not third rail.Of course the pans are plastic so only simulate overhead operation. I doubt you will find this set from Loren at Stonebridge Models or from Anthony at Z scale Monster, but you might be able to pry one set away from me if you contact me off line. The other place you might find it is from a dealer in Japan. Cars have interior and end lighting.If you have a Pro-Z power pack the cars will stay lit even when stopped in a station, and I might be able to provide one of those as well.The only other person who might be able to find a set is Alex in Japan and you might find him on Z Central station in the chat room from time to time.

                regards Garth [garth.a.hamilton at gmail dot com]

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Edward Scullin <sculline@...> wrote:

                > You really don't need the trains.  Just put some stairways going down on the layout.  Tell everybody that they are there, but you can't see them because they are under ground.  GRIN Ed Scullin

              • Alexis
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2011
                  FolkZ... I'm here. Not sure what the e-mail issues are. I'm at...

                  techrepjapan @ hotmail.com

                  (remove the spaces in that address)

                  ProZ sets are still available... although, at the current exchange rates, you might not like the pricing. Please contact me directly... or, at least try again.

                  ThankZ,

                  Alex

                  Tokyo

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@...> wrote:

                  > Same thing here.  I tried to contact Alex earlier today and my email bounced too.
                  > Jack Chase

                • dr strangelove
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 9, 2011
                    Maerklin S-Bahn is exactly those kind of trains..They are above and below ground in Frankfurt. U-bahn does same thing. Both pop in and out of the ground.Not very American looking though. Actually I have seen almost everything in Germany going underground (except steam) someplace or another, including the ICE and even diesels.

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, reynard wellman <micron@...> wrote:

                    > Right, Ed! I've been doing that for years now but nobody has
                    > ever seen it ;>)
                    >
                    > Not really.
                    >
                    > However, there is a wonderful way to do an urban layout using
                    > such trains. The BART system in the "bay area" is designed for
                    > trains operating at "Grade", "Aerial" and "Underground". Using such standards
                    > one can really show off passenger travel in a complex urban setting.
                    > I have yet to see anyone in the US, no matter what scale, actually tackle this
                    > kind of a layout but it does make sense. Instead of little choo-choos peeping
                    > thru a corner tunnel cliche, one could have modern electric trains disappearing
                    > down into a subway entrance for trains below a significant "Main Street"
                    > and the reappearing at the other end to run along grade and eventually end up
                    > climbing up a few risers for an aerial section over all the mid-town traffic. Cool.
                    >
                    > Diesels and steamers would look out of place on such a layout.
                    >
                    > Reynard
                    > http://www.micronart.com
                    >

                    > On Nov 8, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Edward Scullin wrote:
                    >
                    > > You really don't need the trains. Just put some stairways going down on the layout. Tell everybody that they are there, but you can't see them because they are under ground. GRINEd Scullin

                  • Alexis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 9, 2011
                      I can get both the ProZ commuter trains, 7-car sets, and the ProZ controller.

                      I'm away from Tokyo right now, but will return and be taking a hobby store run on November 15. I will confirm pricing of the 7-car sets and the controller.

                      Unfortunately, the sets will not come cheaply, because of the poor exchange rates.

                      For those of you having e-mail issues in contacting me, I'm not sure what the problems might be. I am not filtering anyone's e-mail address. My e-mail is techrepjapan @ hotmail.com (remove the spaces).

                      ThankZ,

                      Alex

                      Hiroshima (but, normally Tokyo)

                      > The only sets that I know of that might count as subway sets are the 209-500 series of commuter trains put out by Pro-Z of Japan. They are used both above and below ground and run from overhead power not third rail.Of course the pans are plastic so only simulate overhead operation. I doubt you will find this set from Loren at Stonebridge Models or from Anthony at Z scale Monster, but you might be able to pry one set away from me if you contact me off line. The other place you might find it is from a dealer in Japan. Cars have interior and end lighting.If you have a Pro-Z power pack the cars will stay lit even when stopped in a station, and I might be able to provide one of those as well.The only other person who might be able to find a set is Alex in Japan and you might find him on Z Central station in the chat room from time to time.
                      >
                      > regards Garth
                    • Rick Saviano
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 9, 2011
                        I used the little red Marklin trains. (I don't remember the item number
                        off hand), painted the tops cream, then wrapped a home-made label that I
                        Photoshopped from some pictures I took of an old EL car (subway cars in
                        Chicago are what we call the El - for El-evated trains, just like New
                        York calling their system subway, even when it is elevated) at a local
                        trolley museum. Since Marklin makes powered and non-powered cars, it
                        worked perfectly for my old and my new layout, which is still in the
                        Styrofoam stage. The only problem I have is that my printer is a
                        coarser resolution than I would like. I'm going to buy a new printer
                        and redo them eventually. At my stage of layout development, "redo" is
                        the last of my priorities.

                        - Rick Saviano

                        > I can get both the ProZ commuter trains, 7-car sets, and the ProZ controller.
                        >
                        > I'm away from Tokyo right now, but will return and be taking a hobby store run on November 15. I will confirm pricing of the 7-car sets and the controller.
                        >
                        > Unfortunately, the sets will not come cheaply, because of the poor exchange rates.
                        >
                        > For those of you having e-mail issues in contacting me, I'm not sure what the problems might be. I am not filtering anyone's e-mail address. My e-mail is techrepjapan @ hotmail.com (remove the spaces).
                        >
                        > ThankZ,
                        >
                        > Alex
                        >
                        > Hiroshima (but, normally Tokyo)
                        >
                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth"<garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
                        >> The only sets that I know of that might count as subway sets are the 209-500 series of commuter trains put out by Pro-Z of Japan. They are used both above and below ground and run from overhead power not third rail.Of course the pans are plastic so only simulate overhead operation. I doubt you will find this set from Loren at Stonebridge Models or from Anthony at Z scale Monster, but you might be able to pry one set away from me if you contact me off line. The other place you might find it is from a dealer in Japan. Cars have interior and end lighting.If you have a Pro-Z power pack the cars will stay lit even when stopped in a station, and I might be able to provide one of those as well.The only other person who might be able to find a set is Alex in Japan and you might find him on Z Central station in the chat room from time to time.
                        >>
                        >> regards Garth

                      • Thomas Creighton Sr
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 10, 2011
                          Hi:  Right now the South Shore Interurban runs from Chicago to Michigan City
                          Indiana going down the center of many town city streets running both passenger
                          and freight trains.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 10, 2011
                            Thomas

                            I believe th C,SS&SB only runs through the streets in Michigan City, IN and they are securing funding to reroute it, if memory serves me right from something I read this last summer.

                            Dave Mummery
                            http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                          • reynard wellman
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 11, 2011
                              Hi Lee,

                              Right. Those were the good olde days, when streetcars as well,
                              once dominated the interurban streets (and still do in some cities here
                              in the US). Charming old Brills & doodlebugs, etc.

                              Some cities today are more fortunate than others. For instance, one of the
                              finest things I'm seeing today in Dallas is the DART system shuffling
                              around the Dallas/Arlington/Ft. Worth areas, as well as smaller
                              trains of streetcars reaching suburban areas. Mostly at grade & aerial,
                              not much "subway" however.

                              Take care.
                              Micron Art is in the Austin "Wizard World- Comic Con" show this
                              weekend, Nov 11 thru Nov 13.

                              Reynard
                              http://www.micronart.com

                            • mark2playz
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 11, 2011
                                Lee, Reynard,
                                Here on the west coast, Western Pacific ran interurban, passenger and freight down the streets of Oakland and Berkeley. While they dropped the interurban around WWII, I can remember freights in Oakland well into the 60s and the Zephyr started from Jack London Square. An interesting side note is that BART runs for the most part over WP RoW in the east bay.
                                BART would be an interesting prototype to model. Around about 1980 there were BART cars that were modelled in HO. The hard part of modelling BART is that they use a non-standard wide gauge track: roughly Z scale on N scale track.

                                Mark

                              • Mark Dewdney
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 11, 2011
                                  Thanks, guys.

                                  I plan to have 2 trains, running on 2 loops.

                                  It's going to take quite some time, but they will run all the way down a
                                  "Main Street" (Brooklyn style) and will stop at 2 "El" stations.

                                  To start, the "front loop" will be the only display, but they'll be on long
                                  & thin ovals (the turns will be hidden at each end) so that, when I've
                                  recovered from doing the "front side", then I can do the back in a
                                  completely different layout (maybe a tunnel cutaway?)

                                  Since I'm a "Z" rookie, of course, any advice and suggestions will be
                                  welcome, and I'll update as things get rolling.

                                  It's an ambitious project, but why go where others have already been, right?

                                  Mark Dewdney

                                  <http://www.markdewdney.com/> www.markdewdney.com

                                • Cliff Smith
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 14, 2011
                                    Mark, Im the rookie here also, if you can search my posts I may have asked the same questions your about to already, and had them answered.

                                    Cliff
                                    SSgt USMC, Retired
                                    '08 TITAN
                                    '86 Yamaha FZX-R