Rokuhan Switch Control

  • rgminutillo
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
      I had read with interest the discussion of Rokuhan switch control and Garth's explanation and drawings seemed clear enough. Tonight I've decided to build a battery-powered switch controller, and I ran into an interesting problem: it doesn't work.

      DC power in one polarity will indeed 'open' the switch to the divergent route, but in the opposite polarity it will only make a little noise, but not move the switch.

      I am very puzzled by this. I had a nice battery box with an on/off switch and 4 AA batteries connected to a correctly wired momentary DPDT switch, wired through a modified Rokuhan switch connector. Only worked in one direction. I started eliminating components. Tried a different DPDT switch. No go. took the switch out of the picture and connected the battery box directly to the switch wires, using quick flicks of the on-off to simulate the DPDT. Same result: power in one polarity 'opens' the switch to the divergent route, but just makes a buzzing sound when the polarity is reversed. And yes, I tries multiple Rokuhan switches, all with the same result. And yes, the same switches plugged back into a Rokuhan controller work just fine.

      So my question is: has anyone actually built a 6V -> DPDT -> Rokuhan switch controller that actually works? Or am I just totally missing something.

      RGM
    • Michael Hilliard
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
        See if this link works and you use a momentary DPDT switch. There's a link to the proper switch and the proper wireing is shown. Sounds like you wired the switch to throw in the same direction, hence the buzz.

        http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_4.htm

        Michael

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
          Thanks for the reply. No, the DPDT is wired correctly ( used the same diagram, and I've wired other DPDT's for direction control; same idea, just not momentaty. Anyway...)

          As I said, even without the DPDT (just touching the leads to the poles of a battery) it works in one direction but not in the other. That's why I was asking if anyone had actually made one of these for a Rokuhan switch and had success.

          RGM

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...> wrote:

          > See if this link works and you use a momentary DPDT switch. There's a link to the proper switch and the proper wireing is shown. Sounds like you wired the switch to throw in the same direction, hence the buzz.
          >
          > http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_4.htm
          >
          > Michael

        • Michael Hilliard
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
            I don't know what the problem you're haveing is. The circuit looks sound to me, but honestly, I chose the push button circuit and after testing, it works just fine and I'm in the process of making a PCB to make a 12 turnout (or pairs of turnouts) control panel. The parts only cost about $25. including shipping for 24 push buttons and 24 diodes and I already have a power source. Sorry.

            Michael

            Thanks for the reply. No, the DPDT is wired correctly ( used the same diagram, and I've wired other DPDT's for direction control; same idea, just not momentaty. Anyway...)

            As I said, even without the DPDT (just touching the leads to the poles of a battery) it works in one direction but not in the other. That's why I was asking if anyone had actually made one of these for a Rokuhan switch and had success.

            RGM

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...> wrote:

            > See if this link works and you use a momentary DPDT switch. There's a link to the proper switch and the proper wireing is shown. Sounds like you wired the switch to throw in the same direction, hence the buzz.
            >
            > http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_4.htm
            >
            > Michael

          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
              *Michael:

              What size wire are you using ??
              What is it's maximum length ??
              Have you figured a way to use a capacitance discharge unit ??
              How are you wiring the package ?? The turnouts are momentary on/off yet the
              LED's are steady state on... [as I envision what you are doing]

              Thanks.

              ...don

              *
              On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I don't know what the problem you're haveing is. The circuit looks sound to
              > me, but honestly, I chose the push button circuit and after testing, it
              > works just fine and I'm in the process of making a PCB to make a 12 turnout
              > (or pairs of turnouts) control panel. The parts only cost about $25.
              > including shipping for 24 push buttons and 24 diodes and I already have a
              > power source. Sorry.
              >
              > Michael

            • Michael Hilliard
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
                Hi Don,

                Wire gauge really dosen't matter with the turnouts for my 30" x 66" layout. Using the same or larger gauge is fine even for long runs for a turnout. It makes a big differance for track power. I put several 24ga. wires for power soldered to this track discretly, but only 8" lengths then to 18ga bus wires that run the perimiter of my layout.

                I spent enough on the Rohuhan track to convert my layout over that I'm just making a simple and cheap control box for now, no leds. The box it will fit in is only 3"x4" with buttons similar in size to Digitrax DDC controlers. Garth has a link I forgot on a CA guy that makes switches for these turnouts with directional leds that stay on and with toggle switches and even supplies in kit form, I'll go that route when my bank account allows. Who was that Garth?

                Michael

                Have you figured a way to use a capacitance discharge unit ??
                How are you wiring the package ?? The turnouts are momentary on/off yet the
                LED's are steady state on... [as I envision what you are doing]

                Thanks.

                ...don

                *
                On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I don't know what the problem you're haveing is. The circuit looks sound to
                > me, but honestly, I chose the push button circuit and after testing, it
                > works just fine and I'm in the process of making a PCB to make a 12 turnout
                > (or pairs of turnouts) control panel. The parts only cost about $25.
                > including shipping for 24 push buttons and 24 diodes and I already have a
                > power source. Sorry.
                >
                > Michael

              • david.davidksmith
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
                  The Gorre & Daphne layout has a power supply using 4 AA batteries and DPDT momentary contact switches, and the Rokuhan turnouts function fine.

                  http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/

                  Regards,
                  David

                  http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the reply. No, the DPDT is wired correctly ( used the same diagram, and I've wired other DPDT's for direction control; same idea, just not momentaty. Anyway...)
                  >
                  > As I said, even without the DPDT (just touching the leads to the poles of a battery) it works in one direction but not in the other. That's why I was asking if anyone had actually made one of these for a Rokuhan switch and had success.
                  >
                  > RGM
                  >

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > See if this link works and you use a momentary DPDT switch. There's a link to the proper switch and the proper wireing is shown. Sounds like you wired the switch to throw in the same direction, hence the buzz.
                  > >
                  > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_4.htm
                  > >
                  > > Michael

                • rgminutillo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 19, 2011
                    Ah, so the batteries and DPDT _should_ work. I guess I'm doing it wrong. Not the first time. I'll start fresh and try again. Thanks

                    RGM

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@...> wrote:

                    > The Gorre & Daphne layout has a power supply using 4 AA batteries and DPDT momentary contact switches, and the Rokuhan turnouts function fine.
                    >
                    > http://ganddinz.blogspot.com/
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > David
                    >
                    > http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm
                    >
                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the reply. No, the DPDT is wired correctly ( used the same diagram, and I've wired other DPDT's for direction control; same idea, just not momentaty. Anyway...)
                    > >
                    > > As I said, even without the DPDT (just touching the leads to the poles of a battery) it works in one direction but not in the other. That's why I was asking if anyone had actually made one of these for a Rokuhan switch and had success.
                    > >
                    > > RGM
                    > >

                    > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > See if this link works and you use a momentary DPDT switch. There's a link to the proper switch and the proper wireing is shown. Sounds like you wired the switch to throw in the same direction, hence the buzz.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_4.htm
                    > > >
                    > > > Michael

                  • rgminutillo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 19, 2011
                      Thanks for the info. I'm encouraged that Davis has a working battery/DPDT setup (although still worried that the doesn't work even by touching leads without a switch.) Anyhow, I'll try again with the DPDT and then, if I screw that up again, I'll try the pushbuttons and diodes.

                      RGM

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...> wrote:

                      > I don't know what the problem you're haveing is. The circuit looks sound to me, but honestly, I chose the push button circuit and after testing, it works just fine and I'm in the process of making a PCB to make a 12 turnout (or pairs of turnouts) control panel. The parts only cost about $25. including shipping for 24 push buttons and 24 diodes and I already have a power source. Sorry.
                      >
                      > Michael

                    • rgminutillo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 20, 2011
                        If at first you don't succeed... Started fresh, rewired everything, and it works as designed. Thanks to all for your encouragement and help.

                        RGM

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the info. I'm encouraged that Davis has a working battery/DPDT setup (although still worried that the doesn't work even by touching leads without a switch.) Anyhow, I'll try again with the DPDT and then, if I screw that up again, I'll try the pushbuttons and diodes.
                        >
                        > RGM
                        >

                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I don't know what the problem you're haveing is. The circuit looks sound to me, but honestly, I chose the push button circuit and after testing, it works just fine and I'm in the process of making a PCB to make a 12 turnout (or pairs of turnouts) control panel. The parts only cost about $25. including shipping for 24 push buttons and 24 diodes and I already have a power source. Sorry.
                        > >
                        > > Michael

                      • Michael Hilliard
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 21, 2011
                          Hi All,

                          I just recieved my first and probably only GP-30 on Friday and would like your opinions, experiences, and feedback about this loco from consumers. I'll share my first impressions after I hear back from some of you. I want to decide if I need to get a replacement or a refund. Details of my own will come over the weekend. Thanks,

                          Michael

                          Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
                          Recent Activity:

                          New Members 1
                          New Photos 1
                          Visit Your Group

                          MARKETPLACE

                          .

                        • ztrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 22, 2011
                            Michael,

                            Feel free to post your concerns. That way we can troubleshoot them. I have
                            no problems sharing this information on the forums. This way we can assist
                            others. The PCB boards are a known problem with them coming loose in
                            shipping. This and an occasional bad coupler are the only two known issues we are
                            working with.

                            Rob

                            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                            Distributor American Z Line
                            Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer
                            www.ztrack.com
                            www.ztrackcenter.com
                            www.ztrackresale.com
                            6142 Northcliff Blvd
                            Dublin OH 43016
                            (614) 764-1703

                          • mark2playz
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 22, 2011
                              Michael,
                              I purchased one the SP GP-30s. It arrived with all the applied hardware attached and the wheels in gauge. It ran well right out of the box (which actually surprised me...usually I find I have to run a new unit for 10-15 minutes before they run well). Good low speed performance. Pulled 5 auto-racks on my test track without problems.
                              I think that the high-end speed is too fast and I find the lighting too bright and too white.
                              I've seen a number of posts related to problems with the seating of the lighting board, but I haven't had those problems myself.

                              Mark

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...> wrote:

                              > Hi All,
                              >
                              > I just recieved my first and probably only GP-30 on Friday and would like your opinions, experiences, and feedback about this loco from consumers. I'll share my first impressions after I hear back from some of you. I want to decide if I need to get a replacement or a refund. Details of my own will come over the weekend. Thanks,
                              >
                              > Michael
                              >

                              > Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
                              > Recent Activity:
                              >
                              > New Members 1
                              > New Photos 1
                              > Visit Your Group
                              > Z-scale:  minimum siZe, MAXIMUM enjoyment!
                              >

                              > MARKETPLACE
                              >

                              > Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

                              > .

                            • Don Fedjur
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 22, 2011
                                Hi Michael,

                                I have 3 GP-30's and they all run just fine. Both DC operation as well
                                as DCC. I have put decoders in several of my friends loco's and they
                                have not indicated any issues with the engine.

                                I think a general consenous from other owners will be that the factory
                                circuit board, control board can come loose in shipping and may come
                                off when you attempt to remove the chassis cover. Not an issue in my
                                mind and once properly pit back in place, it's fine.

                                That's my two cents.

                                Don Fedjur
                                mobile phone; 760-861-5161

                                Sent from my iPhone mobile office.