Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Rokuhan A001 Feeder Cable

  • Ron Bingham
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
      Two things:

      1 ­ Feel the need to underscore and CAPITALIZE that RGM is referring to the Kato/Rokuhan plugs being compatible for the power feeds.

      2 ­ The Rokuhan plugs on the turnout cables and the mating plugs on the Kato turnout control switches (Part #24-840) are NOT compatible. However, one can purchase the Kato-compatible plugs (mini-Tamiya FEMALE) from Pololu (Part #2178) and splice them on the turnout leads. By using the Kato DC converter (Part #24-842) one can feed several turnout control switches from a single 15VAC transformer feed. An added benefit is the Kato switches are, unlike the Rokuhan switches, readily available in the U. S. and actually result in a cheaper approach, even after buying the necessary Pololu plugs.

      Ron

      on 10/4/11 8:31 AM, rgminutillo at rgminutillo@... wrote:

      > I can confirm that the connectors on the Kato gear are compatible with the Rokuhan connectors, but I find them to be a little tight. For the power feed you can also buy loose 'Tamiya EL4.5' connectors, which fit perfectly. They can be had either as kits or prewired. They come in matching sets of 'male' and 'female' although there's an interesting semantic discussion about which is which (the 'male' pin is in the 'female' plastic head and vice versa.)
      >
      > Anyway, the connectors allow you to build whatever splitter, extender or combiner you want. Just heed Garth's point about maintaining the polarity of all connectors, and understand that all tracks connected to a single transformer connection will have trains going in the same direction.
      >
      > A final point about the Kato, There's a nice piece that has the Tamiya on one end and regular 'spade' connectors on the other, so you can use the Rokuhan feeder with any power source. Whether you make them or buy the Kato, I'd recommend having a couple of these around.
      >
      > RGM
    • rebingham32
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
        IMPORTANT!!! DISREGARD AND DEEP-SIX INFORMATION LISTED BELOW FOR ITEM TWO!!!!

        I've made a gross error and don't wish anyone to suffer harm from it. The Kato DC converter supplies 12VDC while the Rokuhan turnouts are designed for 6VDC. I made have fried a few. Things were working fine BEFORE I sent out the earlier message and then things stopped working altogether. So much for cheap, instant gratification.

        Ron

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ron Bingham <rebingham@...> wrote:

        > Two things:
        >
        > 1 ­ Feel the need to underscore and CAPITALIZE that RGM is referring to the Kato/Rokuhan plugs being compatible for the power feeds.
        >
        > 2 ­ The Rokuhan plugs on the turnout cables and the mating plugs on the Kato turnout control switches (Part #24-840) are NOT compatible. However, one can purchase the Kato-compatible plugs (mini-Tamiya FEMALE) from Pololu (Part #2178) and splice them on the turnout leads. By using the Kato DC converter (Part #24-842) one can feed several turnout control switches from a single 15VAC transformer feed. An added benefit is the Kato switches are, unlike the Rokuhan switches, readily available in the U. S. and actually result in a cheaper approach, even after buying the necessary Pololu plugs.
        >
        > Ron
        >
        > on 10/4/11 8:31 AM, rgminutillo at rgminutillo@... wrote:
        >

        > > I can confirm that the connectors on the Kato gear are compatible with the Rokuhan connectors, but I find them to be a little tight. For the power feed you can also buy loose 'Tamiya EL4.5' connectors, which fit perfectly. They can be had either as kits or prewired. They come in matching sets of 'male' and 'female' although there's an interesting semantic discussion about which is which (the 'male' pin is in the 'female' plastic head and vice versa.)
        > >
        > > Anyway, the connectors allow you to build whatever splitter, extender or combiner you want. Just heed Garth's point about maintaining the polarity of all connectors, and understand that all tracks connected to a single transformer connection will have trains going in the same direction.
        > >
        > > A final point about the Kato, There's a nice piece that has the Tamiya on one end and regular 'spade' connectors on the other, so you can use the Rokuhan feeder with any power source. Whether you make them or buy the Kato, I'd recommend having a couple of these around.
        > >
        > > RGM

      • Lee Barry
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
          No one is perfect. Apologies accepted Ron. If it weren't for mistakes along the way to be corrected there would not have been nuttin' invented and made right!!!