Rokuhan A001 Feeder Cable

  • insull_modeler_62
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
      A Happy Sunday All

      Question, I'm about to place an order for more track, turnouts and feeder cables; are the connectors on the feeder cable ends the same?
      I want to cut the cables in half, length wise and connect the non-connector end to a power buss wire, thus making 2 track connectors out of 1.

      Many Thanks

      Dave Mummery
      http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
    • Garth
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
        The track feeder cable has two different ends on it one to slide into the slot in the roadbed track straight sections and the other to plug into the power pack.

        If you want multiple feed points to your track there is a kato (p/n 24-827) unitrack 3 to 1 junction box that will allow you to connect 3 track feeders and then connect the junction box to your power pack.The only caution is you have to be certain that the track feeds are plugged into the same direction so you do not get a short when joined at the junction box. The track feeder can be plugged onto the track from either side so you could get a cross over short if on an oval of track you put one feed in from inside of oval pointing to the outside and another from the outside pointing to the inside of the oval.

        regards Garth

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "insull_modeler_62" <d_mummery@...> wrote:

        > A Happy Sunday All
        >
        > Question, I'm about to place an order for more track, turnouts and feeder cables; are the connectors on the feeder cable ends the same?
        > I want to cut the cables in half, length wise and connect the non-connector end to a power buss wire, thus making 2 track connectors out of 1.
        >
        > Many Thanks
        >
        > Dave Mummery
        > http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/

      • rgminutillo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
          I can confirm that the connectors on the Kato gear are compatible with the Rokuhan connectors, but I find them to be a little tight. For the power feed you can also buy loose 'Tamiya EL4.5' connectors, which fit perfectly. They can be had either as kits or prewired. They come in matching sets of 'male' and 'female' although there's an interesting semantic discussion about which is which (the 'male' pin is in the 'female' plastic head and vice versa.)

          Anyway, the connectors allow you to build whatever splitter, extender or combiner you want. Just heed Garth's point about maintaining the polarity of all connectors, and understand that all tracks connected to a single transformer connection will have trains going in the same direction.

          A final point about the Kato, There's a nice piece that has the Tamiya on one end and regular 'spade' connectors on the other, so you can use the Rokuhan feeder with any power source. Whether you make them or buy the Kato, I'sd recommend having a couple of these around.

          RGM

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "insull_modeler_62" <d_mummery@...> wrote:

          > A Happy Sunday All
          >
          > Question, I'm about to place an order for more track, turnouts and feeder cables; are the connectors on the feeder cable ends the same?
          > I want to cut the cables in half, length wise and connect the non-connector end to a power buss wire, thus making 2 track connectors out of 1.
          >
          > Many Thanks
          >
          > Dave Mummery
          > http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/

        • Ron Bingham
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
            Two things:

            1 ­ Feel the need to underscore and CAPITALIZE that RGM is referring to the Kato/Rokuhan plugs being compatible for the power feeds.

            2 ­ The Rokuhan plugs on the turnout cables and the mating plugs on the Kato turnout control switches (Part #24-840) are NOT compatible. However, one can purchase the Kato-compatible plugs (mini-Tamiya FEMALE) from Pololu (Part #2178) and splice them on the turnout leads. By using the Kato DC converter (Part #24-842) one can feed several turnout control switches from a single 15VAC transformer feed. An added benefit is the Kato switches are, unlike the Rokuhan switches, readily available in the U. S. and actually result in a cheaper approach, even after buying the necessary Pololu plugs.

            Ron

            on 10/4/11 8:31 AM, rgminutillo at rgminutillo@... wrote:

            > I can confirm that the connectors on the Kato gear are compatible with the Rokuhan connectors, but I find them to be a little tight. For the power feed you can also buy loose 'Tamiya EL4.5' connectors, which fit perfectly. They can be had either as kits or prewired. They come in matching sets of 'male' and 'female' although there's an interesting semantic discussion about which is which (the 'male' pin is in the 'female' plastic head and vice versa.)
            >
            > Anyway, the connectors allow you to build whatever splitter, extender or combiner you want. Just heed Garth's point about maintaining the polarity of all connectors, and understand that all tracks connected to a single transformer connection will have trains going in the same direction.
            >
            > A final point about the Kato, There's a nice piece that has the Tamiya on one end and regular 'spade' connectors on the other, so you can use the Rokuhan feeder with any power source. Whether you make them or buy the Kato, I'd recommend having a couple of these around.
            >
            > RGM
          • rebingham32
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
              IMPORTANT!!! DISREGARD AND DEEP-SIX INFORMATION LISTED BELOW FOR ITEM TWO!!!!

              I've made a gross error and don't wish anyone to suffer harm from it. The Kato DC converter supplies 12VDC while the Rokuhan turnouts are designed for 6VDC. I made have fried a few. Things were working fine BEFORE I sent out the earlier message and then things stopped working altogether. So much for cheap, instant gratification.

              Ron

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ron Bingham <rebingham@...> wrote:

              > Two things:
              >
              > 1 ­ Feel the need to underscore and CAPITALIZE that RGM is referring to the Kato/Rokuhan plugs being compatible for the power feeds.
              >
              > 2 ­ The Rokuhan plugs on the turnout cables and the mating plugs on the Kato turnout control switches (Part #24-840) are NOT compatible. However, one can purchase the Kato-compatible plugs (mini-Tamiya FEMALE) from Pololu (Part #2178) and splice them on the turnout leads. By using the Kato DC converter (Part #24-842) one can feed several turnout control switches from a single 15VAC transformer feed. An added benefit is the Kato switches are, unlike the Rokuhan switches, readily available in the U. S. and actually result in a cheaper approach, even after buying the necessary Pololu plugs.
              >
              > Ron
              >
              > on 10/4/11 8:31 AM, rgminutillo at rgminutillo@... wrote:
              >

              > > I can confirm that the connectors on the Kato gear are compatible with the Rokuhan connectors, but I find them to be a little tight. For the power feed you can also buy loose 'Tamiya EL4.5' connectors, which fit perfectly. They can be had either as kits or prewired. They come in matching sets of 'male' and 'female' although there's an interesting semantic discussion about which is which (the 'male' pin is in the 'female' plastic head and vice versa.)
              > >
              > > Anyway, the connectors allow you to build whatever splitter, extender or combiner you want. Just heed Garth's point about maintaining the polarity of all connectors, and understand that all tracks connected to a single transformer connection will have trains going in the same direction.
              > >
              > > A final point about the Kato, There's a nice piece that has the Tamiya on one end and regular 'spade' connectors on the other, so you can use the Rokuhan feeder with any power source. Whether you make them or buy the Kato, I'd recommend having a couple of these around.
              > >
              > > RGM

            • Lee Barry
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
                No one is perfect. Apologies accepted Ron. If it weren't for mistakes along the way to be corrected there would not have been nuttin' invented and made right!!!