Re: Today In History

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 768 , Sep 27 3:05 PM
      Alan,
      Thanks for all the good info. Unfortunately, I find a number of the "In this day..." stories I see are rather incomplete like: "the 1st track in England..." with the "..." details missing. It seems from what I can find refers to the S&D and it seems the story should read: "S&D the first publicly subscribed railroad to haul revenue passengers behind a steam locomotive opened."

      Mark

      > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:13:49 -0700 (PDT)
      > "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:
      >
      > > 1825 Railroad transportation is born with 1st track in England
      >
      > You need to find a better source of data because that I'm afraid is pure
      > nonsense.
      >
      > Waggonways including early use of iron trackwork - 1700s for metal,
      > wooden railed cart tracks disappear into the world of archaeology.
      >
      > First public railway: Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr: 1803
      >
      > [public railway being one not solely owned/operated by a single company
      > for their own internal purposes]
      >
      > First self propelled steam locomotive on rails - 1804
      >
      > Richard Trevithick's Pen-y-darren locomotive which pulled 10 tons of
      > iron, 5 wagons, 70 men along the Merthyr Tydfil tramroad. However it
      > proved too heavy for the iron rails of the time.
      >
      > A year earlier the Puffing Devil by Trevithick and Vivian ran as a first
      > steam road carriage but was also not a success at this point
      >
      > First UK passenger railway 1807 (Swansea & Mumbles)
      >
      > Horse drawn initially
      >

      > First steam hauled passenger trains: 1808 (Catch me Who Can, London)
      >
      > Demonstration circle of track and train ride in the park. Possibly the
      > world's first 'train set' 8)
      >
      > First rack & pinion railway (Middleton Colliery) 1812
      >
      > Puffing Billy 1813
      >
      > World's oldest surviving steam locomotive (and I assure you they didn't
      > wait another 12 years for the track !)
      >
      > Stockton & Darlington: 1825
      >
      > By which time places like Wylam colliery and Middleton had been working
      > steam for 12 or more years.
      >
      > The S&D first is that of a publically subscribed (ie money raised by
      > shares etc) railway.
      >
      > It has some other firsts later on - notably first railway company to
      > number their locomotives. Better yet is the reason recorded in the
      > minutes. It was done so members of the public could identify and report
      > misbehaviour by the drivers. Main offences being - speeding, drunkeness,
      > and allowing girls upon the locomotive. Some things don't change !
      >

      > Alan

    • FT. Dewey
      Message 768 of 768 , Jan 31

        1855 Western railroads blocked by snow
        1874 Jesse James gang robs train at Gads Hill MO
        1932 US railway unions accept 10% wage reduction

        _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`