Z-Scale in Winter

  • ChuckN37@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 1999
      Hi Ole in Denmark --
      Hope things soon start going better in your Z efforts in what's left of 1999,
      and surely in 2000. That winter depression thing can be a killer
      (literally), and should be avoided. I have relatives in one of our more
      northern areas, aka Vermont, who are bothered by it at times. One treatment
      that seems to work (sometimes, I'm told) is to stand in front of a bright
      light periodically... apparently this has an positive affect on the inner
      areas of the brain, such as the pineal gland, which then does (or releases)
      something that at least partially negates the depression. But then you
      probably know all about this already. How about a train (of course) trip to
      the Mediterranean... or even Florida, or Australia ?
      Best for the season -- Charles Nauman, Las Vegas (that's Nevada)
    • Jeff Masiello
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 1999
        I know this is off topic but I'm sorry it is very important.
        Chuck is right. Darkness alone can cause depression. Light Therapy works if you
        have that type of depression! I know 3 people as evidence to the fact. One of
        them brought his light to work, i mean a bright light, and he sits in front of it
        for an hour a day while working. He has more energy, is happier and can
        concentrate better. You're not alone in depression and if you need to chat feel
        free to write me personally or anyone with depression for that matter can write
        me.
        neonflux@... please use this address for yourselves only.
        And besides, what better way to spend the day than with a bajillion watt light
        lighting up all that Z Detail!

        --
        Bertoldo said that the forms had first to be released before they could be
        exalted. Yet a marble contained a myriad of forms; had this not been so, all
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 1999
          Hi Folks,

          I thought that I would help swing this thread back to Z scale.

          Speaking of Gazillion watt lights to bring out the Z scale detail, I had the
          great pleasure last night of participating in the final practicum for
          semester at the British Columbia Institute of Technology, Television
          Production Program.

          I had accepted, along with an HO modular group to bring the Val Ease Central
          to the BCIT TV studio as part of the background imagery for a student
          production of a 15 minute short subject called 'Model Railroading'. Under
          the watchful eyes of their two teachers, the 15 students in the class took
          turns as members of the studio production crew during 4 consecutive tapings
          of the show.

          The 'talent' portion of the show, as they call it, is the live interview
          with Wendy, a local modeling expert, who demonstrates the basics of laying
          track on cork roadbed and ballasting with Woodland Scenics ballast.

          As part of the voice over and the credits segment, the Val Ease Central was
          shown in close up while the trains were running. The sound effects of the
          layout were picked up with a boom microphone. I had the honor of blowing
          the whistle and the horn from time to time to add to the atmoshphere.

          The great thing about all of this is that I got to see the Val Ease Central
          in bright lights on the TV studio monitor. I was astounded at the quality
          of the images. My wife, the teachers and the students all observed that Z
          scale is the perfect scale for TV production. The HO modules were just too
          big to allow easy panning of the cameras and tracking of moving trains in a
          studio environment.

          The second great thing is that I will receive a copy of the videocassette
          some time in January.

          The moral of the story is even though it's rainy, cold and miserable here in
          Vancouver, being in the bright light for 4 hours in a TV studio certainly
          improved my morale.

          Best wishes for the holidays,
          Jeffrey MacHan