AZL Theft

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
      Hans Riddervold, one of the owner's of AZL, has asked that I pass the word
      along. Hans had a suitcase stolen from his rent-a-car in Los Angeles. A
      number of AZL items were in the suitcase including a number of unreleased
      products. The list of stolen items includes:

      GP30s:
      2 x SP (with black fuel tanks)
      1 x SSW
      1 x UP
      1 x DRGW
      2 x WC
      2 x NYC
      2 x GN

      Bay Window Cabooses:
      CSX
      WC
      Milwaukee
      NS
      UP
      RI

      Autoracks (6 units)
      Quite a few (probably 6 singles)

      1x Illinois Central SD70M

      Please keep an eye on auction sites for these items. Also, for our train
      friends in LA, watch for individuals trying to sell these trains. Again, they
      should be easy to spot since most have never been released and are basically
      one-of-a-kind products at the moment.

      Thank you for your help!
      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Don Fedjur
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
        Damn! That is why you never leave a laptop bag or briefcase e posed in
        the back or front seat of your car. Smash and grab. Probably to some
        crackhead. Hopefully it did not get dumpstered.

        Maybe Jeff Thompson can help us out with a bulliten? I'll keep my eyes
        out for it as I travel extensively in the Los Angeles environs.

        Don Fedjur
        mobile phone; 760-861-5161

        Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
          *Rob:

          Consider posting photos. In this case they are worth immensely more than
          words.

          ...don

          *
          On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM, <ztrack@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hans Riddervold, one of the owner's of AZL, has asked that I pass the word
          > along. Hans had a suitcase stolen from his rent-a-car in Los Angeles. A
          > number of AZL items were in the suitcase including a number of unreleased
          > products. The list of stolen items includes:
          >
          > GP30s:
          > 2 x SP (with black fuel tanks)
          > 1 x SSW
          > 1 x UP
          > 1 x DRGW
          > 2 x WC
          > 2 x NYC
          > 2 x GN
          >
          > Bay Window Cabooses:
          > CSX
          > WC
          > Milwaukee
          > NS
          > UP
          > RI
          >
          > Autoracks (6 units)
          > Quite a few (probably 6 singles)
          >
          > 1x Illinois Central SD70M
          >
          > Please keep an eye on auction sites for these items. Also, for our train
          > friends in LA, watch for individuals trying to sell these trains. Again,
          > they
          > should be easy to spot since most have never been released and are
          > basically
          > one-of-a-kind products at the moment.
          >
          > Thank you for your help!
          > Rob Kluz
          >
          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          > Distributor American Z Line
          > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer
          > www.ztrack.com
          > www.ztrackcenter.com
          > www.ztrackresale.com
          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
          > Dublin OH 43016
          > (614) 764-1703

          *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

        • reynard wellman
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
            Hello Rob,
            I feel great pain as to this theft. It is a constant problem
            anywhere in the world. Nasty little people can't produce any goods
            or works of art of any value but they will certainly steal them.
            Akin to rape and other crimes.

            I hope that at least some of Hans' prototypes are returned and this
            thief recants, and even tries to become a human being.

            Reynard

            On Aug 10, 2011, at 5:23 PM, ztrack@... wrote:

            > Hans Riddervold, one of the owner's of AZL, has asked that I pass the word
            > along. Hans had a suitcase stolen from his rent-a-car in Los Angeles. A
            > number of AZL items were in the suitcase including a number of unreleased
            > products. The list of stolen items includes:
            >
            > GP30s:
            > 2 x SP (with black fuel tanks)
            > 1 x SSW
            > 1 x UP
            > 1 x DRGW
            > 2 x WC
            > 2 x NYC
            > 2 x GN
            >
            > Bay Window Cabooses:
            > CSX
            > WC
            > Milwaukee
            > NS
            > UP
            > RI
            >
            > Autoracks (6 units)
            > Quite a few (probably 6 singles)
            >
            > 1x Illinois Central SD70M
            >
            > Please keep an eye on auction sites for these items. Also, for our train
            > friends in LA, watch for individuals trying to sell these trains. Again, they
            > should be easy to spot since most have never been released and are basically
            > one-of-a-kind products at the moment.
            >
            > Thank you for your help!
            > Rob Kluz
            >
            > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            > Distributor American Z Line
            > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer
            > www.ztrack.com
            > www.ztrackcenter.com
            > www.ztrackresale.com
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
            > Dublin OH 43016
            > (614) 764-1703

          • Lancaster David
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
              At least, like a well known painting, these are too rare to just try and sell to a train store. If they deal in any Z at all, they would hopefully know that these are prototypes. I would check out swap meets in the area too. This type of person just wants fast cash for their "addiction". Speaking of addictions, I have to go check out ebay...

              David L.
              ZoCal
              Helping Don F. keep a look out for stolen stuff in ZoCal land.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
                Let's all make it a daily practice to view the ebay auctions more closely.
                Let's catch these low life so and sos.

                Maybe Rob or Hans can post photos on our sites so those who may not know
                exactly what they are looking for will have a visual aid to help them
                identify the missing products.

                Loren

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
                  Reynard,

                  Back in 1986 while living in Denver someone broke my passenger side window
                  of my pickup and made off with a grocery bag full of all my tax papers and
                  info that I was to take to the accountant. I was parked one block from the
                  capitol building at the time. I was of course distraught but on a hunch
                  decided to walk around and check the alleys near by. Low and behold, I
                  found the bag in a trash can only one block from the crime scene. The thief
                  upon opening the sack and realizing he only had paper work ditched the bag,
                  contents and all in the nearest trash can.

                  Very fortunate for me and I was able to have the accountant do my taxes
                  without any trouble.
                  OBTW, I still had to pay the taxes due..........that was the real bummer of
                  the whole incident.

                  Loren

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
                    David,
                    If somehow we collectively or individually are able to help right this wrong
                    then we as a Z family are going to feel like we really won one for a change
                    Every hobby shop, pawn shop, etc etc needs to be alerted. Maybe even a
                    cash reward for the safe return of stolen product.

                    I'm still calling dibs on swatting the horse.....

                    Loren

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
                      What a damn shame to have your property taken, such a sense of being violated.but was the suitcase in plain view or was it in the trunk? were the vehicle doors locked,did peole observe Han's placing the suitcase in the vehicle?
                      I retired from Northwestern University Police 11 years ago as a dispatcher.   Over the years I took many many calls similar to this of property stolen from vehicles in our garages and on the streets in our jurisdiction. Folks you have to pay attention to your surroundings.
                      In our librarys we would receive calls from students about thefts of unattended laptops etc,they would go to  the bathroom and leave their valuable property unguarded and when they returned the property was gone. Folks let me tell you these were America's brighteststudents but in these instances they did not exercise common sense.
                      I feel the same way as Don, that the thief probably was a junkie looking for a fast buck to support his habit and that it probably was a crime of opportunity, somone in the right place at the right time,Moral of this dialogue: 1. Pay attention to your surroundings                                 2. Don't leave valuables in plain sight in a vehicle                                 3. Use common sense (remember common sense is not common)Thanks Harold Grady On Wed, 8/10/11, ztrack@... <ztrack@...> wrote:

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10, 2011
                        Rob, make sure that all the local LA area shops are also aware.

                        > Hans Riddervold, one of the owner's of AZL, has asked that I pass the word
                        > along. Hans had a suitcase stolen from his rent-a-car in Los Angeles. A
                        > number of AZL items were in the suitcase including a number of unreleased
                        > products. The list of stolen items includes:
                        >
                        > GP30s:
                        > 2 x SP (with black fuel tanks)
                        > 1 x SSW
                        > 1 x UP
                        > 1 x DRGW
                        > 2 x WC
                        > 2 x NYC
                        > 2 x GN
                        >
                        > Bay Window Cabooses:
                        > CSX
                        > WC
                        > Milwaukee
                        > NS
                        > UP
                        > RI
                        >
                        > Autoracks (6 units)
                        > Quite a few (probably 6 singles)
                        >
                        > 1x Illinois Central SD70M
                        >
                        > Please keep an eye on auction sites for these items. Also, for our train
                        > friends in LA, watch for individuals trying to sell these trains. Again, they
                        > should be easy to spot since most have never been released and are basically
                        > one-of-a-kind products at the moment.
                        >
                        > Thank you for your help!
                        > Rob Kluz
                        >
                        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        > Distributor American Z Line
                        > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer
                        > www.ztrack.com
                        > www.ztrackcenter.com
                        > www.ztrackresale.com
                        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                        > Dublin OH 43016
                        > (614) 764-1703

                      • soccrdad
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 11, 2011
                          Here is the link to Z Central Station 'AZL Booth' gallery in the 'NTS 2011' folder. You will find several photos of the the stolen items. www.zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&view=category&catid=294&Itemid=178

                          If you see any of the stolen items on any auction site, do not confront the seller, notify Hans or Rob first. The next step would let them contact that auction site for further investigation to recover the stolen products.

                          With Craigslist and any other local 'sales site', still contact Hans or Rob, and let them contact the local authorities.

                          A cool site that I use for a Craigslist search is 'Search Tempest' at www.searchtempest.com/ This allows me to perform a blanket search over any zipcode to whatever distance I want to search to.

                          John Kellett
                          Z Central Station
                        • ztrack@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 11, 2011
                              Rob -
                              Please tell me that Hans at least filed a police report?!? And technically, probably a tweaker (meth addict) did it. Doubt they would know about eBay - local pawn shops would be more likely. With a police report, if someone tries to pawn the items, there is documentation that it is stolen & that helps.

                              If he did file a report, if you can PM me the case number, I can try and talk to the detective & get him to raise it in his/her priorities(no guarantees - in the limited world of Los Angeles law enforcement, if no one is bleeding, it does not get a lot of resources).

                              But that does not mean that we can't try.

                              Jeff Thompson

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

                              > Damn! That is why you never leave a laptop bag or briefcase e posed in
                              > the back or front seat of your car. Smash and grab. Probably to some
                              > crackhead. Hopefully it did not get dumpstered.
                              >
                              > Maybe Jeff Thompson can help us out with a bulliten? I'll keep my eyes
                              > out for it as I travel extensively in the Los Angeles environs.
                              >

                              > Don Fedjur
                              > mobile phone; 760-861-5161
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone mobile office.
                              >

                              > On Aug 10, 2011, at 3:23 PM, ztrack@... wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hans Riddervold, one of the owner's of AZL, has asked that I pass
                              > > the word
                              > > along. Hans had a suitcase stolen from his rent-a-car in Los
                              > > Angeles. A
                              > > number of AZL items were in the suitcase including a number of
                              > > unreleased
                              > > products. The list of stolen items includes:
                              > >
                              > > GP30s:
                              > > 2 x SP (with black fuel tanks)
                              > > 1 x SSW
                              > > 1 x UP
                              > > 1 x DRGW
                              > > 2 x WC
                              > > 2 x NYC
                              > > 2 x GN
                              > >
                              > > Bay Window Cabooses:
                              > > CSX
                              > > WC
                              > > Milwaukee
                              > > NS
                              > > UP
                              > > RI
                              > >
                              > > Autoracks (6 units)
                              > > Quite a few (probably 6 singles)
                              > >
                              > > 1x Illinois Central SD70M
                              > >
                              > > Please keep an eye on auction sites for these items. Also, for our
                              > > train
                              > > friends in LA, watch for individuals trying to sell these trains.
                              > > Again, they
                              > > should be easy to spot since most have never been released and are
                              > > basically
                              > > one-of-a-kind products at the moment.
                              > >
                              > > Thank you for your help!
                              > > Rob Kluz
                              > >
                              > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                              > > Distributor American Z Line
                              > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer
                              > > www.ztrack.com
                              > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                              > > www.ztrackresale.com
                              > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                              > > Dublin OH 43016
                              > > (614) 764-1703

                            • Don Fedjur
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 11, 2011
                                If we know where it was taken...............neighborhood.............we can check the pawns. But...........as may be the case, it could have been dumpstered as indicated earlier.

                                Don

> [...]

                                > > CSX
                                > > WC
                                > > Milwaukee
                                > > NS
                                > > UP
                                > > RI
                                > >
                                > > Autoracks (6 units)
                                > > Quite a few (probably 6 singles)
                                > >
                                > > 1x Illinois Central SD70M
                                > >
                                > > Please keep an eye on auction sites for these items. Also, for our
                                > > train
                                > > friends in LA, watch for individuals trying to sell these trains.
                                > > Again, they
                                > > should be easy to spot since most have never been released and are
                                > > basically
                                > > one-of-a-kind products at the moment.
                                > >
                                > > Thank you for your help!
                                > > Rob Kluz
                                > >
                                > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                > > Distributor American Z Line
                                > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle and Tenshodo dealer

                              • Brian K
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 11, 2011
                                  I think I may need to take up dumpster diving... I can't help but think that
                                  at least we can be thankful that they didn't get the Big Boy.

                                • de Champeaux Dominique
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 12, 2011
                                    These are all the stores in the LA vicinity that appear in Model Railroader:

                                    -Anaheim: Milepost 38 Model Trains Inc, 714-970-3751 http://www.Milepost38ModelTrains.com

                                    -Bellflower: Railmaster Hobbies, 562-867--5627 http://www.railmasterhobbies.com

                                    -Burbank: Burbank's house of Hobbies, 562-848-3674 http://www.houseofhobbies.com

                                    -Burbank: The Train Shack, 800-572-9929 http://www.trainshack.com

                                    -Costa Mesa: The Train Crossing, 714-549-1596 (no indicated website)

                                    -Culver City: Allied Model Trains, 310-313-9353 http://www.alliedmodeltrains.com

                                    -La Mirada: R Hobbies, 562-777-9492 (no indicated website)

                                    -Lakewood: Hobby Warehouse, 562-531-1413 http://www.ahobbywarehouse.com

                                    -North Hollywood: The Roundhouse, 818-769-0403 http://www.roundhouseonline.com/

                                    -Pasadena: The Original Whisttle Stop, 626-796-7791 http://www.thewhistlestop.com

                                    -San Dimas: The Train Stop, 909-599-2602 http://www.trainstop.com

                                    -Tehachapi : Trains, etc, 661-822-7777  http://www.trainsetc.biz

                                    -Thousand Oaks: Marty's Hobbies, 805-497-3664/0346  http://www.martyshobbies.com

                                    -Ventura: Ventura Hobbies, 805-658-8138  http://wwwventurahobbies.com

                                    -Westminster (Orange Cy): Arnies'Trains 714-893-1015  http://www.arniestrains.com

                                    Maybe there are more but here are the main ones. Hope this helps, maybe with a "snowball effect"....

                                    Dom