Re: motorized speeder

  • david.davidksmith
    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 3, 2011
      Loren, you may want to look at nylon chain. It has a smaller pitch than the metal chain you're using, and has more flexibility, allowing some limited degree of vertical curvature. Plus it has the advantage of being much more lightweight and easier to work with.

      I was going to use nylon chain for a vehicle drive system for my James River Branch layout several years ago, but there was not enough clearance between the underside of the streets and the loop of track hidden beneath the town. Later I found a source of nylon chain less than half the size of the other chain, and I ordered two hundred dollars' worth of it from a website that subsequently went out of business before they could deliver any product. Talk about ouch.

      The linear magnetic drive is somewhat promising, but it has its own limitations--like the inability to move the mass of a typical Z Scale automobile. So I won't be having any moving cars on the James River Branch anytime soon.

      Regards,
      David

      http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

      > David,
      >
      > I've used metal roller chain for my moving highway scene on my module. The
      > roller drive chain allows me to make my own highway design with any curves
      > I wish. I make a chain track for gentle turns and small chain sprockets for
      > tight turns. It is basically a mechanical drive system with no electronics
      > involved. It does have its own disadvantages and issues......but it does
      > work.
      >
      > If someone made a metal chain, smaller than the .25 pitch I used, it would
      > allow for much smaller applications.
      >
      > One disadvantage is that the chain only allows movement from side to side so
      > one can't have any hills or 'up and down' motion.
      > We need a drive chain of some sort that allows complete vertical and
      > horizontal movement.
      >
      > I have also been experimenting with using a large diameter ball chain. I've
      > opened up one of the balls and with some difficulty inserted the connecting
      > link into the adjacent ball so now I have a continuous chain with no
      > connecting link.
      >
      > I have then carefully cut almost half of one ball to allow me to cement with
      > CA a magnet like the one you have on the bottom of your vehicle. The
      > resulting ball is the same diameter as the normal chain.
      >
      > To power the chain, I have made two pulleys with O rings that result in a
      > drive pulley and the other pulley acts like a pinch roller that is snugged
      > up against the chain. This system pulls the chain through the pulleys when
      > the drive pulley is attached to a drive motor.
      >
      > This system then allows the drive line, (chain) to have both vertical and
      > horizontal movement.
      >
      > I know this is a short, confusing explanation of a drive system to propel
      > small vehicles, but the theory is sound, I just haven't fully tested it and
      > perfected it yet.
      >
      > One thing I discovered in my initial testing is that if both drive pulleys
      > are motorized, the chain is pulled more consistently through the pulleys.
      >
      > I will take pictures soon and post to show some of the components. It is
      > time we collectively come up with some cool projects to razzle and dazzle
      > the large scale folks.
      >
      > Back to the laboratory for more testing.........ooohhh ha ha ha ha.......
      >
      > Loren

    • D.
      Message 49 of 49 , Aug 6, 2011
        Sorry, but my English is very bad. I must all translate with PROMPT.
        I hope You can forgive me.
        I have had in English nearly 50 years ago at school. Afterwards, however, only on vacation sometimes the breakfast orders.

        Detlev