Re: [Z_Scale] Re: newb question: how to fix an unruly truck on marklin flatbed car.

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
      Hey David,

      I had to laugh when Karin came into the room and said......"boy, did David
      put you in your place"

      When I found out how ignorant I was on the subject of Marklin trucks not
      turning, I thought to myself.......'yeah, she's right.' I spoke before
      looking into the subject. So, I am sitting here wondering what corner I
      should go sit in to wear my dunce cap?

      This proves beyond a shadow of doubt that I am NOT a Marklin product user,
      and don't know a hill of beans about the subject.

      If it had been a MTL car then I would have been right on with my answer.

      Your explanation makes a lot more sense than my well intentioned answer.

      I'll go quietly into the night and recount my coupler springs....:o)

      Scrambled eggs on my face?

      Best,
      Loren

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
        Thanks David,
        I will give this a try. I couldn't find information anywhere on how to service the rolling stock. Do I simply pull on the trucks by grasping either side of it and yanking? I was going to do that but was afraid of breaking the thing.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@...> wrote:

        > That's logical thinking, Loren, except that I don't believe Märklin freight cars have no bolster pins; IIRC, the trucks have retaining clips that snap into holes in the cars.
        >
        > I suspect the truck may need to be pried out of the car (it's a snug fit, so it takes a bit of tugging), and then examined for debris or flashing on the truck clips or the hole in the freight car that may be causing the truck to bind.
        >
        > Regards,
        > David
        >
        > http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Eric,
        > >
        > > Welcome to the wonderful world of Z scale.
        > >
        > > My guess is that the bolster pin is inserted too tight thus causing binding.
        > > The truck should turn freely and no lubrication is needed if the bolster
        > > pin is not too tight. Try inserting a thin X-acto blade between the bolster
        > > pin head and the actual truck and just pry the pin out a little bit. You
        > > also don't want the pin to be too loose. There is a fine line where you
        > > want the pin to be just right. You should have no problem with correct pin
        > > tightness.
        > >
        > > Loren

      • david.davidksmith
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
          You can try brute force--they are made of tough acetal plastic, so they should not break. But it may also help to pry them up with a small screwdriver placed between the truck and the underframe.

          Once the truck is removed, you should be able to see what is preventing the truck from rotating freely. It may require some cleanup with a sharp knife.

          Replacement is simply the reverse of removal: just press the truck into the hole. It may take a fair bit of force. Being it's a flatcar, it should be relatively easy.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "theredone79" <eruby79@...> wrote:

          > Thanks David,
          > I will give this a try. I couldn't find information anywhere on how to service the rolling stock. Do I simply pull on the trucks by grasping either side of it and yanking? I was going to do that but was afraid of breaking the thing.
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "david.davidksmith" <david@> wrote:
          > >
          > > That's logical thinking, Loren, except that I don't believe Märklin freight cars have no bolster pins; IIRC, the trucks have retaining clips that snap into holes in the cars.
          > >
          > > I suspect the truck may need to be pried out of the car (it's a snug fit, so it takes a bit of tugging), and then examined for debris or flashing on the truck clips or the hole in the freight car that may be causing the truck to bind.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > David
          > >
          > > http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm
          > >
          > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Eric,
          > > >
          > > > Welcome to the wonderful world of Z scale.
          > > >
          > > > My guess is that the bolster pin is inserted too tight thus causing binding.
          > > > The truck should turn freely and no lubrication is needed if the bolster
          > > > pin is not too tight. Try inserting a thin X-acto blade between the bolster
          > > > pin head and the actual truck and just pry the pin out a little bit. You
          > > > also don't want the pin to be too loose. There is a fine line where you
          > > > want the pin to be just right. You should have no problem with correct pin
          > > > tightness.
          > > >
          > > > Loren

        • david.davidksmith
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
            Loren, please wipe that egg off your face. It was simply a matter of "right church, wrong pew." Been there myself many times.

            In this case I was lucky enough to have a couple of Märklin tank cars on hand, so I was able to verify their design--at first I wasn't sure myself, until I checked!

            Regards,
            David

            http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

            > Hey David,
            >
            > I had to laugh when Karin came into the room and said......"boy, did David
            > put you in your place"
            >
            > When I found out how ignorant I was on the subject of Marklin trucks not
            > turning, I thought to myself.......'yeah, she's right.' I spoke before
            > looking into the subject. So, I am sitting here wondering what corner I
            > should go sit in to wear my dunce cap?
            >
            > This proves beyond a shadow of doubt that I am NOT a Marklin product user,
            > and don't know a hill of beans about the subject.
            >
            > If it had been a MTL car then I would have been right on with my answer.
            >
            > Your explanation makes a lot more sense than my well intentioned answer.
            >
            > I'll go quietly into the night and recount my coupler springs....:o)
            >
            > Scrambled eggs on my face?
            >
            > Best,
            > Loren

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
              David,
              I just read your reply regarding prying the pin out. Well, I was almost
              right huh?

              Whoopee, this is fun.

              Now go and enjoy the weekend,

              Loren

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
                Hi all,
                Since joining this group and getting a few Z-scale cars across the
                workbench.I have noticed that most,if not all manufactures use the plastic
                'bolster' pin for trucks or boogies in the European jargon.Most are fairly
                loose,which would aid in tracking better(?)
                I would,IMVHO also look for other factor for the truck/boggie not 'flowing'
                as it should.

                Best,Kev

                On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > David,
                > I just read your reply regarding prying the pin out. Well, I was almost
                > right huh?
                >
                > Whoopee, this is fun.
                >
                > Now go and enjoy the weekend,
                >
                > Loren

                Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

              • david.davidksmith
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
                  Loren, if you're embarrassed by your Micro-Trains-style bolster pin answer, I'm downright mortified by the English in my reply...

                  "I don't believe Märklin freight cars have no bolster pins"

                  We're Märklin; we don't need no skinkin' bolster pins!

                  Regards,
                  David

                  http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

                  > David,
                  > I just read your reply regarding prying the pin out. Well, I was almost
                  > right huh?
                  >
                  > Whoopee, this is fun.
                  >
                  > Now go and enjoy the weekend,
                  >
                  > Loren

                • david.davidksmith
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
                    Kev, most manufacturers do indeed use bolster pins to hold the trucks (bogies) in place. Märklin is the odd man out. They use a retainer clip shaped like a mushroom that's molded right onto the top of the truck. This snaps into a cone-shaped hole molded onto the undercarriage of the rolling stock, as seen in this image:

                    http://jamesriverbranch.net/images/IMG_0614.JPG

                    The fit is quite tight; it takes a fair bit of effort to pry the truck off of the car.

                    On occasion you may find flash on one or both of the mating parts. Also, debris can get lodged in the joint. Anything out of the ordinary can cause the truck to not move freely. Sometimes just a very gentle shave around the opening with a sharp knife can improve performance.

                    Lubrication, however, is *not* recommended.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
                      David,

                      This is indeed your lucky day. I just happen to have an extra dunce cap I
                      ll let you use. Let's sit together in the corner over by the window and
                      watch the local roll by. That or count coupler springs together.

                      Dummy #1,
                      Loren

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 29, 2011
                        David,
                        you were correct. It looks like there is some flashing on the mushroom part. Now I need to get a sharper (smaller) knife. My woodworking chisels are a little too big to get at this thing.

                        Thanks for your help.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 30, 2011
                          Michael's craft stores and Lowe's home improvement stores carry X-Acto knives. Just get a standard #1 handle and a pack of #11 blades. I wouldn't bother with a whole kit--you won't use 80% of what comes with it.

                          Some more recommendations are here: http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_5a.htm

                          And if you want more guidance on tools for the model railroader's workbench, start here: http://jamesriverbranch.net/clinic_5.htm

                        • mark2playz
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 30, 2011
                            You might want to try a bit of folded over 600 grit sand papper. Its really cheap and less of a chance of a tool slip damaging the car.
                            Mark

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "theredone79" <eruby79@...> wrote:

                            > David,
                            > you were correct. It looks like there is some flashing on the mushroom part. Now I need to get a sharper (smaller) knife. My woodworking chisels are a little too big to get at this thing.
                            >
                            > Thanks for your help.

                          • W.R.Dixon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 30, 2011
                              On 2011-07-29 11:46 AM, Loren Snyder wrote:
                              > Hey David,
                              >

                              > I had to laugh when Karin came into the room and said......"boy, did David
                              >
                              > put you in your place"
                              >

                              > When I found out how ignorant I was on the subject of Marklin trucks not
                              > turning, I thought to myself.......'yeah, she's right.' I spoke before
                              > looking into the subject. So, I am sitting here wondering what corner I
                              > should go sit in to wear my dunce cap?

                              The corner that has the comfy chair and fridge full of beer of course.

                              Bill Dixon
                            • theredone79
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 31, 2011
                                Mark,
                                I took your idea and tried some 600 grit sandpaper (mostly because I had some lying around and still dont have an x-acto knife). It didn't get the truck moving as free as the rest of my set but it seems to be good enough. I have been running the set forwards and backwards for a few minutes now and have had no derailments. This is a huge improvement considering I couldn't get the flat car to make it around the track at all before (and all I have is a 16" x 21" oval).

                                I would like to thank everyone for their help and ideas.

                                David your site looks very interesting and I will be visiting it frequently. I will need to get a few more sections of track because the layouts on your page are much more interesting than my simple oval.

                                V/R

                                Eric