Z scale track

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
      Folks,

      When MTL announced that they were going to come out with new roadbed
      track, I urged them to do it with code 40 rail because it looked so much
      better than the grossly oversize code 55. Of course, code 40 is oversize,
      but not nearly as noticeably. So you're stuck with code 55 if you want
      RTR track with American tie spacing.

      The only way to get code 40 track on a layout now is handlaying, despite
      the fact that code 40 looks very much better than code 55. That's a real
      shame.

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hi Malcolm,all,
        Airbrush+compressor+ roof brown+ ;-)))

        Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

      • david.davidksmith
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2011
          The problem with switching rail size is that their new sectional track would be incompatible with their original track, which could create quite a lot of havoc for modelers wishing to expand an existing layout, or those who have a stockpile of old track. And for those who don't understand the issue of rail height, it would also create quite a lot of confusion, with a stream of pleas for help on the message boards. The most practical path forward is to stick with the current rail, even if it's not aesthetically ideal.

          Regards,
          David

          http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > When MTL announced that they were going to come out with new roadbed
          > track, I urged them to do it with code 40 rail because it looked so much
          > better than the grossly oversize code 55. Of course, code 40 is oversize,
          > but not nearly as noticeably. So you're stuck with code 55 if you want
          > RTR track with American tie spacing.
          >
          > The only way to get code 40 track on a layout now is handlaying, despite
          > the fact that code 40 looks very much better than code 55. That's a real
          > shame.
          >
          > CheerZ,
          > -- Malcolm Z

        • cnwtrainman
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 18, 2014

            Whats the sharpest curve available in either Micro Trains or Rokuhan track?

          • John Kellett
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 18, 2014
              Pre-formed small radius track would be Rokuhan.  But both companies make a flex track:

              John

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 18, 2014
                Rokuhan offers track that is 70mm This is very tight. The track is package R018. Here is a link:

                I would caution using such tight radius track since so few Z scale locomotives will be able to negotiate it smoothly.

                Rob

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                Distributor for American Z Line
                Full Throttle & Rokuhan
                Authorized MTL, InterMountain
                and Tenshodo dealer.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd
                Dublin OH 43016
                (614) 764-1703

              • cnwtrainman
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 18, 2014
                  Thanks Rob. Here's what im thinking about.  I am using T-track modules they are about 13 1/2 inches wide.  Probably have to use two. I want to make something portable we never see Z scale in Kansas City area I might build the layout so I can take it to train shows.
                  I have three of the four numbers of Milwaukee Road GP-38s and I have to get something up to run them on.

                  David Lindquist

                  Sent from my Galaxy S®III

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 18, 2014
                    Rob, what Z scale engines would operate smoothly (if any) on that size radius?

                    Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 18, 2014
                      A 2'x4' module would be very portable and give you plenty of room for a minimum 10" radius which would look and work much better IMO.

                      V/R
                      Larry P. Card
                      Franklinton NC
                         _________
                      ./__________\.
                      (]]]___o___[[[)
                      |\_o______o_/|
                      |__|..........|__|

                      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 19, 2014
                        Maybe but I really live these modules. They come expertly built. I am using them on my N scale shelf layout. They are made of very high quality wood and are inexpensive when you look at the craftsmanship.

                        Does anyone on the board actively participate in z- track or some ither modular club? What do you guys use?

                        Dave

                        Sent from my Galaxy S®III

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 19, 2014
                          Dave these are a great size, but I am trying to figure out what track can be used. I think for the GP38s, 145mm is going to be probably the tightest. You may want to consider a balloon modules on each end. That way it can be wider for the return loop.

                          I would play a bit and set up different curves and test with the 38s to see how small they will go. Part of the problem is the length of the locos and couplers. Even if they negotiate the curve, the couplers may overhand the curve to the point you won’t be able to pull anything.

                          One to try is AZL’s Budd RDC. This loco has quite a lot of truck swing and looks great running as a single unit. It may be an option.

                          Rob

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 19, 2014
                            I love my GP38 s Ill go with a wider curve.
                            Bob do you ever envision Micro Trains or anyone else ever coming out with a pilot conversion for z scale locomotives? It would be nice to fill in the rather wide gaps.  Even if they don't I really love these feels. Never thought when I got my first Z set in 1998 that we'd have all this cool stuff.

                            David Lindquist

                            Sent from my Galaxy S®III

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 19, 2014
                                In my testing when Rokuhan first came out I put up several videos on you tube. Micro Trains GP9 and GP35  with truck mounted coupler operated fine on R 120mm and on R 145 mm. Micro Trains SD40-2 with pilot mounted couplers ran on R 145mm but it was very tight and you need to have a 50 box car behind ther engine to make it work so I say R 170mm is smallest radius that most things will operate on including early AZL SD70's  with either truck mounted coupler or pilot mounted coupler. If you pilot mount your couplers on the Micro Trains GP35 and GP9 then R145 was smallest radius it would operate on with no problems. I also have a Rogue GP38 and it ran well on R 145 mm curves with pilot mounted couplers.  However I decided for my own requirements that R 170mm was smallest radius I would sue for freight with 40 and 50 ft cars and R 270 mm and R 245 mm for passenger and modern freight such as double stacks, They will run on R 220 and R 195 mm curves but they look believable on the 270mm and 245mm, rather than toy train trapped on a small table.  both 270 and 245 as s doulble track main will turn inside 2 ft wide module or shelf.  Here are some videos links of a variety of engines on various radii of Rokuhan Track. Shoul give you some perspective on what might work for you, based on what youwant to run.  The R70 video is really Nn3 or n scale narrow gauge and all couplers are body mounted.  In Z scale it would work for an industrial or mine railroad, but not for yard or main line operations.  Micro trains 40 ft and 50ft  cars with couplers mounted on their trucks will operate on these small radii but those with body mounted couplers need R 120 or larger radii to operate reliably.
                                regards Garth Hamilton VE3HO

                                z scale Rokuhan throttle-r70 curves-marklin 5pole 0-6-0.mov

                              • Lee Barry
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 19, 2014
                                  Rob and all, when Jim O'Connell built my layout in 2010 and I asked him what would be the best engines to run on it as per the radius of the curves. He said he used an F7 to test the track and said IF I could find any that would be the best thing to use. He was right about finding any, there were none out there to be had, until MTL started building them again, too bad they didn't make them right, instead of having people ship them back to their dealers or to MTL  themselves. If you can get them to run in after a GOODLY amount of time on your "break-in" track, and it took mine about 10-12 hours each direction to run without a hitch. These are just some of my thoughts. I tried using SD40-2s and they just cleared the tunnel portal as the came out, of course as Jim O'Connell told me when I asked him about it he said,"a miss is as good as a mile". Lee Barry,CEO LZPMRR

[...]

                                • rgminutillo
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 20, 2014
                                    I have a lot of RDC's and they really do not do well on tight curves. I have had a lot of success with Marklin F7's running in very tight layouts, and MTL  F7's as well, as long as you remove the front coupler or widen the box in the cront pilot. But Marklin F7's unmodified to very very well. I have a video up on You Tube, somewhere...RGM
                                  • flyerbait
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 21, 2014

                                      o0 F3s and E8s???? SLURP! when is the estimates on when those are going to be run (especially the E8s) will there be "B" units as well?.. O.K I will calm down now. : )

                                      Leigh

                                    • Lee Barry
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 21, 2014
                                        MTL has been running them now for awhile. What road are you looking for? Go to Micro Trains Line .com and look to see what F7's they are makling and still have in stock. If you are into Sante Fe silver "Warbonnets" I have 2 A units and 2 B units. unfortunitly they have the same road numbers this is the way MTL made them. I am not too interested in parting with them but to "Ease Your Pain" I will, but first ask Rob Klutz does he have any or can he gte any. If you are into NS he or MTL may still have some F7s in that livery. Right now MTL is making F7s A&Bs. Don't how long or what roads they are planning on making. If you want to discuss the F7's I have contact me at Z_SCALE2@....
                                        ps: I am not trying to sell my F7's but trying to keep another Z Scaler from leaving us for N or God help us into that awful junky HO scale ( I hate them). Lee Barry, CEO LZPMRR

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 21, 2014
                                            Please do a run of Milwaukee Road orange and black F7s

                                            Sent from my Galaxy S®III