Réf.: Re: Re : Réf.: [Z_Scale] Re: Z Ops was Frustrated, Discouraged, and Disill

  • Ellen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
      Loren....it was Thom's yard that inspired me to put the sidings on my module so I could change trains easily as well as keep a train running as I put another on the track. I also take requests to run a train parked on a siding and I'm usually happy to oblige. It does make our modules more interesting for us and the public

      Ellen
      Indianapolis

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rvn20012000" <rvn20012000@...> wrote:

      > Loren,
      >
      > > For a winning combination whether at home or at a show one would need good
      > > track work and perfectly running locos and rolling stock.
      > > Show attendees would enjoy watching trains being made up and put onto the
      > > main line
      >
      > Attendees do enjoy watching Bruce make up a small train in his time-saver module yard to include into the longer train running on the main line or just switching different cars in the time-saver yard. Or me assembling a train in my yard while running the longer train on the mainline, stopping and backing into the yard to pick up the additional cars from the yard and pulling the whole train back out onto the mainline. I also have assembled passenger trains that I swap out by pulling one train into a passing siding while pulling another one out onto the mainline. Ellen has a passing siding and 2 stub-end yard leads on her module where she swaps out trains to run on the oval on her module. We've even swapped passenger trains at attendees' requests.
      >
      > > This is an area that is totally lacking at shows, but the day is coming when
      > > some group like BAZ or ZoCal will have a functional yard and one club member
      > > will have the task of making up trains to be run by the rest of the club
      > > members.
      >
      > Maybe a yard is lacking on the west coast but not in the midweZt. The MidweZt HaulerZ have been doing it for several years now. We do all of this with old fashioned block wiring and toggle switches.
      >

      > > There is still the problem of being able to uncouple trains anywhere one
      > > wishes.
      > > I guess having LOTS of uncoupling magnets in the track work is the only
      > > answer to having uncoupling option flexibility.
      >
      > I have magnets at both ends of my passing sidings and just past the switch for the stub-end tracks. I have 2 passing sidings for each mainline and 6 stub-end tracks for the outside mainline and 2 stub-end tracks for the inside mainline. One of the inside stub-end tracks can be connected to Bruce's module to create an even larger yard. We've even run the mainline trains through his yard and mine and back onto the mainline.
      >

      > > There will be somewhat that situation at NTS, but I think there will be a
      > > bit more 'hands on' involved than your you tube shows.
      > > Your operational smoothness is the goal to be achieved by any group at shows
      > >

      > > There's nothing quite like smooth operations.......
      > >
      > > Loren
      >
      > Maybe you should come to the midweZt some time to see how we do it.
      > Thom Welsch
      > MidweZt HaulerZ

    • Ell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011

        > For a winning combination whether at home or at a show one would need good
        > track work and perfectly running locos and rolling stock. Show attendees would enjoy > > watching trains being made up and put onto the main line.
        >
        > This is an area that is totally lacking at shows, but the day is coming when
        > some group like BAZ or ZoCal will have a functional yard and one club member
        > will have the task of making up trains to be run by the rest of the club members.
        >
        > There is still the problem of being able to uncouple trains anywhere one wishes.
        > I guess having LOTS of uncoupling magnets in the track work is the only
        > answer to having uncoupling option flexibility.
        >
        > There will be somewhat that situation at NTS, but I think there will be a
        > bit more 'hands on' involved than your you tube shows.
        > Your operational smoothness is the goal to be achieved by any group at shows
        >

        > There's nothing quite like smooth operations.......
        >
        > Loren

        Loren,

        As pointed out by Thom and Ellen, a key to including switching operations at a show is to make sure there are other trains running. Motion draws the public. That is one constant I have seen in over 20 years of doing shows. When the trains stop, the public wanders away to other layouts. Switching a train into a siding or a yard and replacing it with another is basically an operation where trains keep moving. Making up a train in a yard will not keep the attention of most of the public for very long. Other trains need to be operating at the same time.

        Ell Geib