Réf.: [Z_Scale] Re: Z Ops was Frustrated, Discouraged, and Disillusioned

  • Ron Bingham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      I'll look forward to watching your video, Dom. In the meantime, what brand of turnouts are you using and have you made any modifications to achieve reliability? Why power-routing turnouts?

      My layout has 15 MTL turnouts and there is zero chance my loco will go through all 15 consecutively without either stalling or derailing. This after taking up and reinstalling the trackwork after my first SOS a week ago. I'm sending one turnout back to MTL after I discovered it was assembled with two diverging route rails for the points. Some work fine most of the time; others are hit-and-miss, and others are habitual offenders who may or may not be brought to justice.

      I'm not the first with this problem: http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=129921

      After spending around $500 on MTL track, I kinda feel like I've been sold the Brooklyn Bridge. And I'm really skeptical about shelling out another $300 bucks for the newest turnouts on the block even if they are hailed as The Second Coming.

      So I really hope your genesis of a layout remains in the Garden of Eden.

      Ron

    • gbs46@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
        Look forward to the video. Please let us know when you post it.

        What method do you use to uncouple cars?

        > Yes, mine. My layout is still in its genesis, it's'rather small (140 x 90 cm, total run 7 meters and only 5 turnouts) but using Passmann power pack, power-routing turnouts and electromagnets I can assert that I reached my goal which is mainly switching. Tomorrow I will try to remember to put a Youtube link.
        > Dom
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
          I put a link for my video today. Please look at my 2nd previous post (otherwise I'll put it again tomorrow). My rolling stock is equiped with Micro-Trains couplers. To uncouple I use permanent magnets on spur and electro-magnets on main line.
          Dom