RE: PAYPAL SCAM OT THREAD

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
      On Thur June 30, 2011 6:14 pm (PDT) rgminutillo wrote:
      > Isn't it interesting that one person falls for a 'PayPal' scam, posts a
      > warning about it <snipped>

      First, I'd like to thank all the helpful posts from people who actually
      read my post, containing excellent advice. The suggestion that it is a
      precaution against money laundering makes sense. I did not "fall" for it
      and never suggested it was a "scam", as a rereading of my post by
      rgminutillo will find.

      Before my first post, I logged into my account and found a request from
      PayPal that I do verification, so I knew it was not a scam. In fact, this
      was not the first time the request has appeared as both an e-mail and in
      my account as I have approached their "limit".

      Second, while my question might be technically "OT", it should be of
      interest to the great majority of Z-scalers, who are forced to use the
      internet to pursue their hobby more than the more populous scales who can
      usually go the brick and mortar route when they want something.

      Third, there is a work-around. You can select payment with a credit
      card, which makes you a "PayPal Guest". PayPal will tell you that you
      have a valid account and ask you if you want to continue with the credit
      card. Say yes and provide credit card info. It is not as convenient as
      using your PayPal account, but it will get your money to the merchant. I
      wish more dealers accepted checks. I'm willing to wait for the mail to
      get the check to the dealer and the delay in shipping until the check
      clears.

      I received an e-mail from one merchant who said he no longer accepts
      PayPal, but does accept major credit cards because it is cheaper. The
      credit cards take a smaller percentage of the transaction than PayPal. So
      "poor PayPal"? Don't think so. They're making big bucks.

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
        Malcolm,
        I have always accepted checks to save me the pay pal seller fees and also so
        as to save having to pass on pay pal fees to the customers. Those wanting
        to use a check are welcome to contact me. Once as an established customer,
        I don't hold checks for clearance.

        The customer is the one who may ultimately lose out if they rip off an
        dealer. The dealer merrily has to tell the entire Z world that so and so is
        a rip off and he will have his name black listed in the Z community.

        We Z scalers are supposed to be an honorable group in the first place,......
        ...right?

        Loren

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hi Loren, Malcolm Z,

          I love to get checks, but only if they have a real routing
          number along the bottom. A fella in the Netherlands sent
          me a very fancy looking check that was bogus. So checks
          from overseas now have to wait until the check clears
          before I send the product. That hurts the balance of trade.
          It was my mistake to ship before my bank examined
          the check.

          I love PayPal. Even with the fees, they perform a good
          service that saves me a lot time. Transactions business
          to business can be time consuming but PayPal makes
          it so much easier.

          How much is a person's time worth anyway?

          Keep Zeeing and railroading! ;>)

          Reynard
          On Jul 1, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:

          > Malcolm,
          > I have always accepted checks to save me the pay pal seller fees and also so
          > as to save having to pass on pay pal fees to the customers. Those wanting
          > to use a check are welcome to contact me. Once as an established customer,
          > I don't hold checks for clearance.
          >
          > The customer is the one who may ultimately lose out if they rip off an
          > dealer. The dealer merrily has to tell the entire Z world that so and so is
          > a rip off and he will have his name black listed in the Z community.
          >
          > We Z scalers are supposed to be an honorable group in the first place,......
          > ...right?
          >
          > Loren

        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
            Hmmmmmmmmm, if you charge for consulting or *PAY* for consulting you will
            find time costs a LOT more than the minimum hourly wage. ...and that is
            what time is worth.

            ...don a

            On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, reynard wellman <micron@...>wrote:

            > How much is a person's time worth anyway?
            >
            > Keep Zeeing and railroading! ;>)
            >
            > Reynard

          • david.davidksmith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
              Be wary of the overly simplistic views some people have of the fees charged for transactions. The per-transaction fee may be more through PayPal, but banks charge a pretty hefty setup fee to establish an account to accept credit card payments. Plus, most banks expect you to meet a minimum total transaction dollar amount per month, and if this is not met, they slap you with additional fees.

              Furthermore, PayPal offers a fully-integrated system for storefronts, with payment acceptance, bookkeeping, shipping and even inventory control. This is a boon to very small businesses since it consolidates several services into one, and avoids minimum monthly transaction fees charged by many banks as well as the need to manage inventory, shipping, and everything else yourself.

              Bottom line, one must look at the whole picture before writing PayPal off as some greedy website looking to gouge us at every turn. Depending on the size and type of business one runs, they may represent the better value.

              Regards,
              David

              http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm