PayPal demand for access to banking information

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
      Folks,

      I believe that enough of us use PayPal that this should be of interest
      to this list. PayPal is demanding that I give them access to my banking
      information because I "am nearing the limit" of money transferred (almost
      all sent to internet merchants). This is an arbitrary limit. They will
      then fiddle with my bank account and I have to tell them exactly what
      fiddling they've been doing. At no time have I failed to have the funds
      available, nor has there been any irregularity in my transactions. On the
      contrary, once I was defrauded by an individual, Robert Dressel.

      I am highly reluctant to provide this information for several reasons.
      First, I fail to see any justification for this. Second, in the wake of
      numerous security breaches at financial institutions leading to fraud or
      identity theft, I am reluctant to give any unnecessary financial
      information to a remote party such as PayPal. I worry about them having
      my credit card information as it is.

      Am I just being paranoid? What do others think about this intrusive
      requirement?

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
        > Am I just being paranoid? What do others think about this intrusive
        > requirement?

        Its an anti money laundering requirement courtesy of the US government
        (and similar legislation elsewhere). I imagine real money launderers,
        drug dealers, and 'terrorists' just open new accounts with a
        different email address and name of course.

        Alan
      • Mark H.
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
          I gave them information to an empty account I opened at my local
          credit union for just this purpose.

          That way if someone gets the info, whether they are an ebay/paypal
          employee or a hacker or whatever, they can have all of the $1 I keep
          in that account.

          I transfer money in to that account when I make a paypal payment.

          I have also grown to dislike ebay/paypal requirements of other types
          over the pat few years. For example, all ebay listings now REQUIRE you
          accept PayPal. Huh?!?!? What if I don't want to ?!?!?!

          I am very surprised (as far as I know) that ebay/paypal is not
          regulated like any other bank for the amount of money that passes thru
          their paws.

          - Mark H.

          On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:59, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > I believe that enough of us use PayPal that this should be of interest
          > to this list. PayPal is demanding that I give them access to my banking
          > information because I "am nearing the limit" of money transferred (almost

          [...]
        • Lee Barry
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
            Malcolm, Lee Barry here. I also have had problems with paypal. All of my "Z" stuff come from Loren Snyder. When I ordered some things awhile back I told paypal that I no longer wanted to use my bank debit card to use paypal, that I would prefer to use one of my credit cards. PayPal is one of the damnedest hardheaded places I've ever dealt with. They went ahead and used my debit card to charge my acct. If you are "QUICK" enough and the VP of the bank you use is a close friend then you can get your bank to refuse the charge, and if you have never used that option before then more than likely they will not charge you for this. Boy PayPal went ballistic, they sent me dozens of threatening e-mails and phone calls. When I knew it was phone cakll from them I would answer it then immediately hang up. I put their number in my do not call list. After that incidence I told Loren I'd more than likely go back to using PO MO. Thios works out better as Loren can take a
            PO MO to the PO and get it cashed, and I know he got his money. Until PP did me that way I was happy using them. It made it so much easier. I don't think they shoud keep my card numbers on file. I think it would be much better for one to use any card they want. Don't think I'll be using them anymore. I too never did not have the funds to cover the amt.  Lee Barry

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mark H." <markh3326@...> wrote:

              > I gave them information to an empty account I opened at my local
              > credit union for just this purpose.
              >
              > That way if someone gets the info, whether they are an ebay/paypal
              > employee or a hacker or whatever, they can have all of the $1 I keep
              > in that account.
              >
              > I transfer money in to that account when I make a paypal payment.
              >
              > I have also grown to dislike ebay/paypal requirements of other types
              > over the pat few years. For example, all ebay listings now REQUIRE you
              > accept PayPal. Huh?!?!? What if I don't want to ?!?!?!

              I've quit using ebay because of that. I used to spend too much on ebay anyway. This saves me money to buy what I really want and need not get into a bidding war.
              Bob

              > I am very surprised (as far as I know) that ebay/paypal is not
              > regulated like any other bank for the amount of money that passes thru
              > their paws.
              >
              > - Mark H.
              >
              > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:59, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Folks,
              > >
              > > I believe that enough of us use PayPal that this should be of interest
              > > to this list. PayPal is demanding that I give them access to my banking
              > > information because I "am nearing the limit" of money transferred (almost
              >
              > [...]
            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                Malcolm,
                Could this be a scam? I get notices once in a while from ebay and others
                telling me I have to do so and so and when I call the institution, they
                inform me they did not send out any notices to change things. This sounds
                very fishy to me.

                Make sure you check with Ebay and pay pal before you give out any info.

                Loren

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                  Mark H,
                  Boy did you open a can of worms!
                  I'm retired from the financial sector and one of the resounding complaints is how the hell does EBay/PayPal get away with this.
                  The only answer is that they have every regulator in there pocket.
                  No one complains because its a dollar here a quarter there and so on and so forth. What everyone fails to realize is all that chump change adds up to BILLIONS of dollar; just read Ebay's year end or quarterly reports and see how PayPal is there 'Golden Goose'.
                  This along with not having any other option for clean money transfers and other stuff are the reasons I avoid them at all costs.
                  That's more then two cents worth so enough from me.
                  Dave M

                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                    Don't do anything for a while and see what happens. If it is legit, PayPal
                    will contact you again. They will NOT shut you down because you did not
                    answer a single Email.

                    ...don

                    --
                    *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                  • Thomas Creighton Sr
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                      I dropped paypal as long as checks are available that is the form I use. I don't
                      own a credit card and I only use a debit card with a preloaded give amount. Over
                      the years E--- and paypal has become a giant ripoff as they are only interested
                      in the money not the quality of vendors!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                        Greetingz Malcolm,

                        I would suggest to not respond to this email nor use any imbedded links from the email. I have received hoax emails in the past, hoping to gather more banking information. Remember for your paypal account you had to apply a bank account and/or credit card #, and those are stored in your paypal account profile. So in reality, they already know that information regardless of the extent of your monthly transfers. Remember the free personal version of paypal allows up to $500 that can be transfered in 30 days, so what does it matter?

                        The only time paypal contacts you is when a credit card # is due to expire and needs replacing. If you wish, you should log in to your paypal account by logging into the site directly, then check your funds. From there you can then contact paypal support via email with any other concerns. I would have that email ready to attach, so they can see what is happening.

                        John Kellett
                      • Alan Cox
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                          On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:42:01 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
                          "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                          > Malcolm,
                          > Could this be a scam? I get notices once in a while from ebay and others
                          > telling me I have to do so and so and when I call the institution, they
                          > inform me they did not send out any notices to change things. This sounds
                          > very fishy to me.

                          They do it genuinely but it'll show up in your paypal account as an
                          action needing doing, not just in email if its genuine.
                        • Garth
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                            YOu can also forward the message to spoof at paypal.com and they will tell you if it is relevant or not.

                            Basicaly all institutions including Paypal and Ebay plus your bank will address you by name and they do not need you to to access to confirm your account number or a password as they already know your information. Anything coming to your e-mail address addressed dear customer or that part of your e-mail address before he at sign is simply a phishing expedition to dangle the bait to see if you will bite and let them skim your accounts.When in doubt call using a telephone number you find in your records and not one you received in an e-mail to verify whether the message is bogus or not. If it smells even a little bit it is probably not legit.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                              On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:57:13 -0000
                              "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

                              > YOu can also forward the message to spoof at paypal.com and they will tell you if it is relevant or not.

                              I've had them report real mails as spoofs, in fact I sometimes wonder if
                              its an address that automatically reports anything ever sent to it as a
                              spoof ?
                            • rvn20012000
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                Malcolm,
                                I agree with Garth. I get these types of e-mails frequently, sometimes to e-mail addresses that Paypal and eBay don't know about. I say forward it to spoof@.... They have always let me know when it was a phishing scam. I would also check my Paypal account by logging in directly from my link to see if they've left a message there.
                                Thom

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

                                > Folks,
                                >
                                > I believe that enough of us use PayPal that this should be of interest
                                > to this list. PayPal is demanding that I give them access to my banking
                                > information because I "am nearing the limit" of money transferred (almost
                                > all sent to internet merchants). This is an arbitrary limit. They will
                                > then fiddle with my bank account and I have to tell them exactly what
                                > fiddling they've been doing. At no time have I failed to have the funds
                                > available, nor has there been any irregularity in my transactions. On the
                                > contrary, once I was defrauded by an individual, Robert Dressel.
                                >
                                > I am highly reluctant to provide this information for several reasons.
                                > First, I fail to see any justification for this. Second, in the wake of
                                > numerous security breaches at financial institutions leading to fraud or
                                > identity theft, I am reluctant to give any unnecessary financial
                                > information to a remote party such as PayPal. I worry about them having
                                > my credit card information as it is.
                                >
                                > Am I just being paranoid? What do others think about this intrusive
                                > requirement?
                                >
                                > CheerZ,
                                > -- Malcolm Z

                              • mark2playz
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                  I'm not a big user of PayPal. Because of the way I run my mail server, I get to see patterns in Spam and phishing emails. I get about a dozen emails a month from "paypal" instructing email adddresses that have never touched PayPal to send banking or credit info. And about twice that from banks I don't do business with. While I haven't seen Malcolm's email and Alan's comment my be correct, I'd assume it is SPAM.

                                  Mark

                                  > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:57:13 -0000
                                  > "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > YOu can also forward the message to spoof at paypal.com and they will tell you if it is relevant or not.
                                  >
                                  > I've had them report real mails as spoofs, in fact I sometimes wonder if
                                  > its an address that automatically reports anything ever sent to it as a
                                  > spoof ?

                                • reynard wellman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                    HI Garth,
                                    You are absolutely correct. The email is a scam. Any
                                    demand for bank account info via email is ALWAYS that.

                                    These nasty little scammers are a danger to folks who
                                    are trusting and trustworthy. This is just another
                                    phishing scam.

                                    PayPal is very good at spotting this filthy stuff.
                                    They never send emails asking for account information.

                                    Reynard
                                    On Jun 30, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Garth wrote:

                                    > YOu can also forward the message to spoof at paypal.com and they will tell you if it is relevant or not.
                                    >
                                    > Basicaly all institutions including Paypal and Ebay plus your bank will address you by name and they do not need you to to access to confirm your account number or a password as they already know your information. Anything coming to your e-mail address addressed dear customer or that part of your e-mail address before he at sign is simply a phishing expedition to dangle the bait to see if you will bite and let them skim your accounts.When in doubt call using a telephone number you find in your records and not one you received in an e-mail to verify whether the message is bogus or not. If it smells even a little bit it is probably not legit.
                                    >
                                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:42:01 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
                                    > > "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Malcolm,
                                    > > > Could this be a scam? I get notices once in a while from ebay and others
                                    > > > telling me I have to do so and so and when I call the institution, they
                                    > > > inform me they did not send out any notices to change things. This sounds
                                    > > > very fishy to me.
                                    > >
                                    > > They do it genuinely but it'll show up in your paypal account as an
                                    > > action needing doing, not just in email if its genuine.

                                  • david.davidksmith
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                      Some general guidelines for online safety, especially when it comes to financial issues...

                                      As a rule, PayPal, eBay and banks will never ask for information from you via email. They will instead provide instructions on how to give them the information they need, if they need any (which is rare). If the email is asking for *any* personal information--addresses, bank account numbers, social security numbers--automatically be suspicious. The likelihood of the email being a scam is extremely high.

                                      If the message is asking for you to take some kind of action, *never* use links that are provided in email messages, even if it looks perfectly legitimate. Instead, only use bookmarks you have created yourself while using the website.

                                      Always pay close attention to the web address displayed in the browser's address bar. If you do not see or recognize the address (for example, paypal does not appear somewhere in the address, even though the page displays their logo), immediately close your browser. Only use your own bookmarks to access these websites.

                                      If you receive a suspicious email, immediately forward it to the institution from which it claims to be; PayPal, banks, etc., all provide special email addresses for this purpose, and they all take these threats *very* seriously. They will usually respond within hours with information on the legitimacy of any message. They will never complain if you forward them a legitimate message, and they will be very thankful for receiving bogus messages, because it allows them to take action against the scammers.

                                      Regards,
                                      David

                                      http://davidksmith.com/modeling.htm

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, reynard wellman <micron@...> wrote:

                                      > HI Garth,
                                      > You are absolutely correct. The email is a scam. Any
                                      > demand for bank account info via email is ALWAYS that.
                                      >
                                      > These nasty little scammers are a danger to folks who
                                      > are trusting and trustworthy. This is just another
                                      > phishing scam.
                                      >
                                      > PayPal is very good at spotting this filthy stuff.
                                      > They never send emails asking for account information.
                                      >
                                      > Reynard
                                      > On Jun 30, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Garth wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > YOu can also forward the message to spoof at paypal.com and they will tell you if it is relevant or not.
                                      > >
                                      > > Basicaly all institutions including Paypal and Ebay plus your bank will address you by name and they do not need you to to access to confirm your account number or a password as they already know your information. Anything coming to your e-mail address addressed dear customer or that part of your e-mail address before he at sign is simply a phishing expedition to dangle the bait to see if you will bite and let them skim your accounts.When in doubt call using a telephone number you find in your records and not one you received in an e-mail to verify whether the message is bogus or not. If it smells even a little bit it is probably not legit.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:

                                      > > > They do it genuinely but it'll show up in your paypal account as an
                                      > > > action needing doing, not just in email if its genuine.

                                    • rgminutillo
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                        Isn't it interesting that one person falls for a 'PayPal' scam, posts a warning about it, and then lots of folks jump on the bandwagon attacking PayPal and claiming this scam is 'typical' behavior. Typical it might be, but not of PayPal.

                                        Even the subject of this thread maintained the false impression. Poor PayPal: scammers love it; users hate it. I'm not sure I'd want to do without it, though.
                                      • FT. Dewey
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 1 7:42 AM
                                          I always e-mail the vendor and ask if they will accept a personal check (I say they can hold the item until the check clears). No problem.               DEWEY

                                          Sent from my old, used, second hand desk top computer.

                                          o _____ || |
                                          .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                                          _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 1 7:56 AM
                                            I get these once in a while, and I don't even HAVE a paypal account.            DEWEY

                                            Sent from my old, second hand used desktop computer.

                                            o _____ || |
                                            .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                                            _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 3 5:24 AM
                                              On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:54:00 +0000
                                              "David Mummery " <d_mummery@...> wrote:

                                              > Mark H,
                                              > Boy did you open a can of worms!
                                              > I'm retired from the financial sector and one of the resounding complaints is how the hell does EBay/PayPal get away with this.
                                              > The only answer is that they have every regulator in there pocket.

                                              *US* regulator maybe. The are regulated here thankfully.

                                              Alan
                                            • Garth
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 3 6:16 AM
                                                Well I use Paypal for collection agency for the sales of my n-scale stuff. It is cheaper than a money order.You can ship by mail with either USPS or Canada Post at a reduced rate and tracking is there for the customer and proof of shipping. Since I am in Canada there is always the issue of exchange no matter whether I use a bank or paypal. The cost of an NSF check in our banking system makes it a poor choice. One bad cheque costs me $20.00 before I have even collected any money.You may have your goods but that 20.00 bucks is a big dent in your sales and you seldom get to collect back on it. So I have a bank account I use for Paypal and they dump money into it and I remove it and if I want to pay for something from someone I put money into it so they don't have control of much and it is not any different from pre authorized debits at your bank for e your mortgage or utility bills and such. SO you have to manage your exposure in any financial tranaction and the banks are not any friendlier than paypal.Then there are credit card charges on un paid balances. I wish people knew hoe much they are paying for stuff on credit card interest instead of a line of credit at their bank. enough I'll get off the soap box

                                                Garth