NTS 2011 - Sacramento

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
      The National Train Show will be held Friday, July 8th through Sunday, July
      10th. It will be held at the Sacramento Convention Center in Sacramento,
      California. Z scale will have a very large presence during the show.

      The Z scale layout section is in area 811. It is a 60' x 40' space.
      This will be an impressive module display that is set to show the crowd the
      true potential of Z scale! The BAZ, SOZ and ZoCal clubs will be making up the
      core of the the groups connecting modules. Jerry Craig of the Cascade Z Club
      is planning on attending with a number of modules. The BAZ Boys will be
      unveiling their new yard modules.

      Mister Dave George will have his amazing Z display at the show. Dave will
      be in area
      874. It is a must see!

      Many noted Z scale manufacturers will be in attendance. Look for these
      popular names at the following booths:

      172, 173 - American Z_Line
      274 - Aztec Manufacturing
      364, 374 - BLMA
      280, 290 - Bowser Manufacturing
      140, 150 - Fast Tracks
      281 - Fox Valley Models
      184, 194 - Intermountain Railway
      121, 122 - Märklin Inc.
      350, 351 - Micro-Trains Line
      620 - Norm's Train World
      900 - RSLaser Kits
      190 - Searails
      493 - Stonebridge Models

      If attending the show, please make sure to come by and say hello. I will be
      assisting in the American Z Line booths.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
        Hi Rob,all,
        Excellent!Will somebody be posting photos?
        Another question: are there different module standards?What I mean is US vs
        European?

        Kev

        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
          Kev,

          I will be planning a show report in an upcoming issue of Ztrack. I am sure
          others will be posting images online. The West Coast module clubs do
          incredible work. I always look forward to seeing the layouts in person.

          The Z-Bend Track module concept is the one we have adopted as the official
          standard for Z scale. Most, if not all clubs, use this standard including
          many in Europe. There is a different standard in Europe, but it is close to
          Z-Bend Track.

          We have posted the Z-Bend Track standards on our website. You can find them
          at:

          http://www.ztrack.com/resources/index.html

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor American Z Line
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          www.ztrackresale.com
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • David Mummery
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
            Hey Rob

            WOW, quite the line-up!

            Sounds as if there is a SPECIAL EDITION of ZTrack in the making.

            Only wish I could attend.

            Dave Mummery

          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
              Kevin:

              There are module standards which a lot of module builders follow. Mr Dave
              does NOT follow those standards. His layout, which has appeared at the last
              10 or more NMRA National shows, winning a number of 1st places, is built
              quite close to the ground. Much of the layout is about 30 inches off the
              floor and some parts are less than 18 inches. You may wonder why.

              Two reasons: A] This layout about 20 feet square is designed for the
              viewing by handicapped people such as someone in a wheel chair and B] KIDS
              !! Mr Dave really enjoys working with kids. We are always on the lookout
              for some youngster who is about 7 years old or older who seems interested in
              the layout. We will ask the parents if it is O.K. for their child to run
              the trains and then ask the child. No interested child has ever said "No".
              After a half hour of operation we have them hooked on Z. I hate to think
              the financial damage we do come the following Christmas. :)

              ...don a

              *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

            • Lee Barry
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
                I have a 37x27 layout that Jim O'Connell built for me last July thru Oct. I took it to a show in Bluefield,Va./WVa. the second weekend in Nov. last year. I have been to this show numerous times in the past. On Sat. afternoon there was an older man with a N layout and he kept having trouble with it. I told my wife just to watch it and I am going to see if I can help him with it. When I got back my wife told me there was a woman and a 10-12 year old boy came to look at my layout. My wife said he put his hand on the top of the layout and asked "What is this?" The woman told him "Don't touch, it was a train layout using real small engines and cars, and was extremely nice." She told my wife that he only had about 20% of his sight left and by this time next year he would be blind. Never know how fortunate we are. So I say let the little ones see and touch and always answer their questions, they will be the model railroaders of tomorow. Lee Barry, Bristol,Va.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
                  Don A, your horrible, LOL

                • John Duino
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
                    One of the things that I personally enjoy when showing the modules is interacting with the non-modelers (or not-yet modelers), and I know several of my cohorts-in-crime here in ZoCal do, too. While our modules are a bit high for the diminutive of stature (young and old) we always have some step stools around. It's also why we don't put rope stanchions around the layouts...we want people to get up close. Bill Hoshiko and those of us who spend time at the tables encourage people to touch, hold, and in Bill's case, even drop (to show that they aren't fragile little eggs) some stuff. I do a lot of building at shows, but I spend more time talking and showing than I actually get done building. We also reach out TO people who are wandering thru; we don't wait for them to ask a question. It's a simple thing, and makes me feel like a commission-based salesman at times, but it elicits more questions than awkward "who is this freak" stares.

                    Guess what I'm trying to say in my sleep-deprived-cuz-I-have-one-week-to-do-two-months-work-on-my-modules way: I've found that the vast majority of Z folks at the shows are very encouraging and enthusiastic about the scale, the layouts, and enlightening people about our beautiful little gems. MUCH more so than the other scales a groups (maybe because we are OUTSIDE out layouts rather than "in the box" of a square'ish layout.

                    BTW, Mr Dave (and his entire cast and crew) deserves all of the kudos he gets and more for his wonderful layout and for all of the years of campaigning long before most of us were even actively involved in Z.

                    So by a show of hands, who all is ready to have some fun in Sacramento next week!?! Z is going to be making a showing in a HUGE way!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
                        Well Rob,
                        I'm not sure exactly where we are, but it seems I gave you the wrong number
                        again. I believe? We are actually in 483 instead of 463 or 493. LOL I
                        know there is a 3 in there somewhere. Matters not, we are close to the Z
                        layouts so we can't be too far off.

                        Look for us in one of the 3s :o)

                        Loren