Undertable switch machines

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2011
      Dom,
      Could you expand on your opinion on undertable switch machines? I recently purchased a Tortoise machine to experiment with for my new layout and I'm having a hard time finding the advantages of spending $50 for a pound of hardware to control a $25 2 oz. turnout.

      Mark

      >>4. Would you be happy with external switch machines like on Marlin and
      >>Micro Trains to get three wire control and twin coil turnout motors?

      >In my case, definitly NO. In my opinion, undertable machines are the >only way to
      >go.

      >Dom
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2011
        Hi Mark, I find difficult to understand why you spent $ 50....The normal price for a single Tortoise is ~$20, a 6-sample pack ~$115 and a 12-sample pack ~$220... My opinion is simply my absolute preference for non roadbedded track & turnout system and turnouts without the ugly side mechanism. That's why my current layout is only equipped with MTL flextrack and Wright turnouts, that are indeed unpowered and need a spare mechanism. To that extent the choice of Tortoises was the evidence for me.
        Dom

        Could you expand on your opinion on undertable switch machines? I recently purchased a Tortoise machine to experiment with for my new layout and I'm having a hard time finding the advantages of spending $50 for a pound of hardware to control a $25 2 oz. turnout.

        Mark

        >>4. Would you be happy with external switch machines like on Marlin and
        >>Micro Trains to get three wire control and twin coil turnout motors?

        >In my case, definitly NO. In my opinion, undertable machines are the >only way to
        >go.

        >Dom

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2011
          Dom,
          We are both MTL flex and Peter Wright turnout men. Hard combo to beat.

          The only down side is all the tedious ballasting, but what else am I going
          to do with all my spare time? LOL

          Loren

          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2011
            Dom,
            From your layout description I understand your preference for undertable machines. I've been looking at using MTL turnouts, but I want to have the above table to look at prototypical as possible. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in the Rokuhan turnouts: they look prototypical without modification or an additional switch machine.
            BTW, my machine was $39.95 plus 10% California & local sales tax at the local train store.

            Mark

            > Hi Mark, I find difficult to understand why you spent $ 50....The normal price for a single Tortoise is ~$20, a 6-sample pack ~$115 and a 12-sample pack ~$220... My opinion is simply my absolute preference for non roadbedded track & turnout system and turnouts without the ugly side mechanism. That's why my current layout is only equipped with MTL flextrack and Wright turnouts, that are indeed unpowered and need a spare mechanism. To that extent the choice of Tortoises was the evidence for me.
            > Dom

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2011
              >Dom,
              >We are both MTL flex and Peter Wright turnout men. Hard combo to beat.
              >
              >The only down side is all the tedious ballasting, but what else am I going
              >to do with all my spare time? LOL
              >
              >Loren

              Loren you're right but unless you consider sufficient the "ballasting" on roadbedded turnouts you'll have to ballast them as well, .... with the same issues.

              >Dom,
              >From your layout description I understand your preference for undertable >machines. I've been looking at using MTL turnouts, but I want to have the >above table to look at prototypical as possible. That's one of the >reasons I'm interested in the Rokuhan turnouts: they look prototypical >without modification or an additional switch machine.
              >BTW, my machine was $39.95 plus 10% California & local sales tax at the >local train store.

              Mark, which kind of machine were you charged of $50? I continue to find this pretty odd given Tortoise listed prices.

              Dom
            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2011
                Dom,
                The Tortoise was recommended to me as an alternative for use on the MTL turnouts, which with a bit of work works well. However at the time all my usual sources (at about $20) were all backordered, so the local shop was "supply and demmand" pricing. While I like the unit and will probably use it for some trackside annimation, I don't see a definitive advantage with the MTL turnouts.

                Mark

                > >Dom,
                > >BTW, my machine was $39.95 plus 10% California & local sales tax at the >local train store.
                >
                > Mark, which kind of machine were you charged of $50? I continue to find this pretty odd given Tortoise listed prices.
                >
                > Dom

              • FT. Dewey
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
                  "but what else am I going

                  to do with all my spare time?  LOL"

                     Um...Pay some attention to Karen??                           DEWEY

                  _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                  We are both MTL flex and Peter Wright turnout men.   Hard combo to beat.

                  The only down side is all the tedious ballasting, but what else am I going
                  to do with all my spare time?  LOL

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
                    or Karin, as the case may be...