Re: Rokuhan suitcase layout idea is introduced in a video and your input is requested.

  • ronaldjhurley
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2011
      Garth,
      It is truly interesting that somebody would market a reasonably priced briefcase kit and probably a good marketing idea for a new company trying to gain a foothold. I still have some problems with the tie spacing issue but this is no problem with a stand alone layout that many would do on the side.
      ron

      > The briefcase layout is being upgraded to be suitable for R145 curves and case will be 70 x 70cm and the height remains the same. THis will mean that just about anything you currently run will work on the layout.It will certainly be usable with MTL F7 and GP9 or 35 and 40 ft cars. Not sure if it will be offered with the enw smaller switch and there is a new controller to be released later this year. I will have samples of most of this new stuff later this summer and while I won't make the Anational in Sacramento I might make it to Houston for the big train show in October with some samples of the new stuff.

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 13 , May 12, 2011
        Anyone who has a problem with tie spacing on the Rokuhan or even Marklin, and Peco track should read this blog entry from David K Smith on the topic
        http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/05/why-correct-tie-spacing-isnt-important.html
        Now I now why I have no problem with the tie spacing. As David says it is in the eye. The rail is over sized and the Rokuhan engineers who designed this product maintained the perspective and balanced the tie size and spacing to match the over sized rail so when viewed in a picture it looks to be normal or in balance. Once the track is down and in use on a layout it does look great and when additional ballast and painting of the track it truly pops out.

        cheers Garth

      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 12, 2011
          Garth, I have no problem with tie spacing. It is perfect for Nn3. :)

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor American Z Line
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          www.ztrackresale.com
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • rgminutillo
          Message 4 of 13 , May 16, 2011
            Hi Garth,

            I've got a layout idea that would require the 95mm (3 3/4" radius) curves. Have you tested them?

            RGM

            > I hve been doing some testing with R120mm curves and found that I had very few engines that would operate without problems on this radius.

          • Garth
            Message 5 of 13 , May 17, 2011
              With the current power units and rolling stock I found R145mm to be the smallest curve that engines and cars would operate on reliably. R95mm works for diesels with 2 or 3 axles and cars with two axles like Japanese rolling stock or some European and British 4 wheeled cars or 0-6-0 steamers, but I believe that Rokuhan's DD51 will be able to operate on these tight radii as can the pro-Z Electric.
              cheerz Garth