1 Amp or 5 Amp

  • rgminutillo
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2011
      I'm in the market for another automatic reversing circuit (using diodes and not sensors) and, alas, Lajos' are off the market.

      Dallee makes varieties in 1-Amp and 5-Amp flavors. Dallee is closed for vacation now, so I'm asking if anyone on the list would venture an opinion as to which would be best for a small back-n-forth Z scale layout powering 2 locos. I'm thinking 1-Amp.

      RGM
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2011
        On Tue, 10 May 2011 17:15:56 -0000
        "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

        > I'm in the market for another automatic reversing circuit (using diodes and not sensors) and, alas, Lajos' are off the market.
        >
        > Dallee makes varieties in 1-Amp and 5-Amp flavors. Dallee is closed for vacation now, so I'm asking if anyone on the list would venture an opinion as to which would be best for a small back-n-forth Z scale layout powering 2 locos. I'm thinking 1-Amp.

        1 Amp is probably excessive. Five is totally OTT
      • John Duino
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2011
          I agree with Alan, 1A is more than sufficient for a couple loc's....for a several couple, in fact (if they are running properly :) )

          > I'm in the market for another automatic reversing circuit (using diodes and not sensors) and, alas, Lajos' are off the market.
          >
          > Dallee makes varieties in 1-Amp and 5-Amp flavors. Dallee is closed for vacation now, so I'm asking if anyone on the list would venture an opinion as to which would be best for a small back-n-forth Z scale layout powering 2 locos. I'm thinking 1-Amp.

          1 Amp is probably excessive. Five is totally OTT
        • Don Fedjur
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2011
            RGM

            Here is the hot set-up, compact, muli-fuctional, and the price is right. Go to TamValleyDepot.com

            You want the "Dual" model version, Frog Juicer & Reversing Curcuit. http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/dccpowerfrogjuicers.html

            Described as;

            DCC Dual Frog Juicer/Auto-Reverser/Circuit Breaker

            This board can be configured to use as an automatic polarity reverser for two frogs, a reversing loop, a turntable, a wye, or a crossing. It can also be used as a circuit breaker to control a power district (with the bonus it will reverse polarity if needed). It uses the same basic design as the hex frog juicer but has 33 Amp transistors so it can be used with multi-unit lashups and 10 Amp boosters. Setup is simple, connect the input to the DCC track bus, and connect the output wires either to two frogs or two rails. A jumper controls whether the two outputs act as a pair (i.e. an auto-reverser) or independently (i.e. a pair of frog juicers). Another pair of jumpers controls the current set point for switching, either 2 Amps or 4 Amps. When used for frogs or crossings generally 2 Amps work best and for an auto-reversing application, 4 Amps generally works best.

            Item; DFJ001 $29.95 each

            Don Fedjur
            Carlsbad, CA 92009

            I'm in the market for another automatic reversing circuit (using diodes and not sensors) and, alas, Lajos' are off the market.

            Dallee makes varieties in 1-Amp and 5-Amp flavors. Dallee is closed for vacation now, so I'm asking if anyone on the list would venture an opinion as to which would be best for a small back-n-forth Z scale layout powering 2 locos. I'm thinking 1-Amp.

            RGM

            =

          • rgminutillo
            Message 5 of 9 , May 10, 2011
              John (and Alan)

              Thanks, 1 Amp it is...

              RGM

              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2011
                Interesting product but I'm not doing DCC....

                RGM

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

                > RGM
                >
                > Here is the hot set-up, compact, muli-fuctional, and the price is right. Go to TamValleyDepot.com
                >
                > You want the "Dual" model version, Frog Juicer & Reversing Curcuit. http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/dccpowerfrogjuicers.html
                >
                > Described as;
                >
                > DCC Dual Frog Juicer/Auto-Reverser/Circuit Breaker
                >
                > This board can be configured to use as an automatic polarity reverser for two frogs, a reversing loop, a turntable, a wye, or a crossing. It can also be used as a circuit breaker to control a power district (with the bonus it will reverse polarity if needed). It uses the same basic design as the hex frog juicer but has 33 Amp transistors so it can be used with multi-unit lashups and 10 Amp boosters. Setup is simple, connect the input to the DCC track bus, and connect the output wires either to two frogs or two rails. A jumper controls whether the two outputs act as a pair (i.e. an auto-reverser) or independently (i.e. a pair of frog juicers). Another pair of jumpers controls the current set point for switching, either 2 Amps or 4 Amps. When used for frogs or crossings generally 2 Amps work best and for an auto-reversing application, 4 Amps generally works best.
                >
                > Item; DFJ001 $29.95 each
                >

                > Don Fedjur
                > Carlsbad, CA 92009

              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2011
                  *WOW -- I have a bunch [ like 10 or 12 ] DCC engines on the track at any
                  given time. No matter how many are moving I don't think I have ever seen
                  more than 0.75 amp on the meter.

                  ...d
                  *

                  --
                  *...don a* * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                • Don Fedjur
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2011
                    It is a "multi-function product".............that's the beauty of it.

                    Don

                    Interesting product but I'm not doing DCC....

                    RGM

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

                    > RGM
                    >
                    > Here is the hot set-up, compact, muli-fuctional, and the price is right. Go to TamValleyDepot.com
                    >
                    > You want the "Dual" model version, Frog Juicer & Reversing Curcuit. http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/dccpowerfrogjuicers.html
                    >
                    > Described as;
                    >
                    > DCC Dual Frog Juicer/Auto-Reverser/Circuit Breaker
                    >
                    > This board can be configured to use as an automatic polarity reverser for two frogs, a reversing loop, a turntable, a wye, or a crossing. It can also be used as a circuit breaker to control a power district (with the bonus it will reverse polarity if needed). It uses the same basic design as the hex frog juicer but has 33 Amp transistors so it can be used with multi-unit lashups and 10 Amp boosters. Setup is simple, connect the input to the DCC track bus, and connect the output wires either to two frogs or two rails. A jumper controls whether the two outputs act as a pair (i.e. an auto-reverser) or independently (i.e. a pair of frog juicers). Another pair of jumpers controls the current set point for switching, either 2 Amps or 4 Amps. When used for frogs or crossings generally 2 Amps work best and for an auto-reversing application, 4 Amps generally works best.
                    >
                    > Item; DFJ001 $29.95 each
                    >

                    > Don Fedjur
                    > Carlsbad, CA 92009

                  • Michael Hilliard