Re: [Z_Scale] Rokuhan suitcase layout idea is introduced in a video and your input is requested.

  • Paul Murphy
    Message 1 of 13 , May 7 4:35 PM
      I would buy it!

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 7, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

      > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2011/05/movie-for-trunk-layout-minimum-support-kit.html
      >
      > or
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQHpsjUZ2Q&feature=player_embedded
      >
      > This is a porposed entry level suitcase layout with case base track
      > and you do the scenery
      > comments to support@...
      > Cheers Garth

    • ckuttner
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9 7:50 PM
        I gave Rokuhan some positive words on this, and asked how much it would cost...proposed price is $100.

        It's actually intriguing, especially since I'm considering building my second Z layout.

        Anyone have an idea of what % grade this has? Other thoughts?

        chas
        Col. Cornelius Kuttner
        Proprietor and Psychopathist
        The Oakville & Poorfarm RR

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

        > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2011/05/movie-for-trunk-layout-minimum-support-kit.html
        >
        > or
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQHpsjUZ2Q&feature=player_embedded
        >
        > This is a porposed entry level suitcase layout with case base track
        > and you do the scenery
        > comments to support@...
        > Cheers Garth

      • Garth
        Message 3 of 13 , May 10 5:26 AM
          Since the heart of the layout is a loop of R120mm it is going to be steep probably 6% give or take1%. I think you might get R145 to work on this form in which case the climb would be a bit less.

          cheers Garth
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ckuttner" <ckuttner@...> wrote:

          > I gave Rokuhan some positive words on this, and asked how much it would cost...proposed price is $100.
          >
          > It's actually intriguing, especially since I'm considering building my second Z layout.
          >
          > Anyone have an idea of what % grade this has? Other thoughts?
          >
          > chas
          > Col. Cornelius Kuttner
          > Proprietor and Psychopathist
          > The Oakville & Poorfarm RR
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2011/05/movie-for-trunk-layout-minimum-support-kit.html
          > >
          > > or
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQHpsjUZ2Q&feature=player_embedded
          > >
          > > This is a porposed entry level suitcase layout with case base track
          > > and you do the scenery
          > > comments to support@
          > > Cheers Garth

        • Dan Swartling
          Message 4 of 13 , May 10 1:51 PM
            I so want to do this, only built it to be solar powered as well. Is there
            anything special I need to do to regulate the power from the solar panel?

            Dan Swartling

            ________________________________
            I gave Rokuhan some positive words on this, and asked how much it would
            cost...proposed price is $100.

            It's actually intriguing, especially since I'm considering building my second Z
            layout.

            Anyone have an idea of what % grade this has? Other thoughts?

            chas
            Col. Cornelius Kuttner
            Proprietor and Psychopathist
            The Oakville & Poorfarm RR

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

            >http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2011/05/movie-for-trunk-layout-minimum-support-kit.html
            >
            > or
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQHpsjUZ2Q&feature=player_embedded
            >
            > This is a porposed entry level suitcase layout with case base track
            > and you do the scenery
            > comments to support@...
            > Cheers Garth

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 13 , May 10 6:55 PM
              Dan,
              For solar power make sure your panel can supply at least 9V at about 400 mA full sun. Make sure you have an inline fuse of about 500mA and you can use a potentiometer to control the track voltage.
              The output of a solar panel itself can vary quit a bit and I would suggest one that has built-in regulation, or go to an electronic regulator over just the potentiometer for train control.
              Mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Dan Swartling <dswartling@...> wrote:

              > I so want to do this, only built it to be solar powered as well. Is there
              > anything special I need to do to regulate the power from the solar panel?
              >
              > Dan Swartling

            • Garth
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11 11:17 AM
                I hve been doing some testing with R120mm curves and found that I had very few engines that would operate without problems on this radius.

                Thw MTL F7 and GP9 will run on it but it only takes one rail joint slightly misaligned and it will send a truck up and over the rail and even 40 ft box cars can have problems on this tight a radius. THe 0-6-0 engines of marklin had no problems and the small 4 axle BB center cab diesel will run on R120. SO we have passed this information on to Rokuhan and the word back is they are going to look into a redesign with R145m curves for this briefcase basic bare bones kit. It means a redesign of the vacuum formed base and they are not sure if the current case size can be maintained or not.

                cheers Garth

                > Since the heart of the layout is a loop of R120mm it is going to be steep probably 6% give or take1%. I think you might get R145 to work on this form in which case the climb would be a bit less.
                >
                > cheers Garth
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ckuttner" <ckuttner@> wrote:
                > >

                > > I gave Rokuhan some positive words on this, and asked how much it would cost...proposed price is $100.
                > >
                > > It's actually intriguing, especially since I'm considering building my second Z layout.
                > >
                > > Anyone have an idea of what % grade this has? Other thoughts?
                > >
                > > chas
                > > Col. Cornelius Kuttner
                > > Proprietor and Psychopathist
                > > The Oakville & Poorfarm RR
                > >
                > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2011/05/movie-for-trunk-layout-minimum-support-kit.html
                > > >
                > > > or
                > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQHpsjUZ2Q&feature=player_embedded
                > > >
                > > > This is a porposed entry level suitcase layout with case base track
                > > > and you do the scenery
                > > > comments to support@
                > > > Cheers Garth

              • Garth
                Message 7 of 13 , May 11 7:34 PM
                  The briefcase layout is being upgraded to be suitable for R145 curves and case will be 70 x 70cm and the height remains the same. THis will mean that just about anything you currently run will work on the layout.It will certainly be usable with MTL F7 and GP9 or 35 and 40 ft cars. Not sure if it will be offered with the enw smaller switch and there is a new controller to be released later this year. I will have samples of most of this new stuff later this summer and while I won't make the Anational in Sacramento I might make it to Houston for the big train show in October with some samples of the new stuff.

                  cheers Garth
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

                  > http://www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2011/05/movie-for-trunk-layout-minimum-support-kit.html
                  >
                  > or
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQHpsjUZ2Q&feature=player_embedded
                  >
                  > This is a porposed entry level suitcase layout with case base track
                  > and you do the scenery
                  > comments to support@...
                  > Cheers Garth

                • ronaldjhurley
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 11 8:00 PM
                    Garth,
                    It is truly interesting that somebody would market a reasonably priced briefcase kit and probably a good marketing idea for a new company trying to gain a foothold. I still have some problems with the tie spacing issue but this is no problem with a stand alone layout that many would do on the side.
                    ron

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 12 5:36 AM
                      Anyone who has a problem with tie spacing on the Rokuhan or even Marklin, and Peco track should read this blog entry from David K Smith on the topic
                      http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/05/why-correct-tie-spacing-isnt-important.html
                      Now I now why I have no problem with the tie spacing. As David says it is in the eye. The rail is over sized and the Rokuhan engineers who designed this product maintained the perspective and balanced the tie size and spacing to match the over sized rail so when viewed in a picture it looks to be normal or in balance. Once the track is down and in use on a layout it does look great and when additional ballast and painting of the track it truly pops out.

                      cheers Garth

                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 12 5:37 AM
                        Garth, I have no problem with tie spacing. It is perfect for Nn3. :)

                        Rob

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        Distributor American Z Line
                        www.ztrack.com
                        www.ztrackcenter.com
                        www.ztrackresale.com
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd
                        Dublin OH 43016
                        (614) 764-1703

                      • rgminutillo
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 16 1:10 PM
                          Hi Garth,

                          I've got a layout idea that would require the 95mm (3 3/4" radius) curves. Have you tested them?

                          RGM

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 17 7:56 AM
                            With the current power units and rolling stock I found R145mm to be the smallest curve that engines and cars would operate on reliably. R95mm works for diesels with 2 or 3 axles and cars with two axles like Japanese rolling stock or some European and British 4 wheeled cars or 0-6-0 steamers, but I believe that Rokuhan's DD51 will be able to operate on these tight radii as can the pro-Z Electric.
                            cheerz Garth