Re: [Z_Scale] Train Rules .............OK

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 2:51 AM
      > The consequences of officialdom.....

      Or not in fact. Read the actual reports from the time instead of
      believing the internutters.

      By the time the crew discovered the source of the smoke and walked the
      half mile down the stopped train to see why - it had all gone up in
      flames.

      There are certainly cases where rules made things worse, but the reverse
      is more usually true.

      Incidentally -the minutes of the Stockton & Darlington record both that
      the main problems were intoxication, speeding (including drivers racing
      trains against each other to get to a single line section first), and
      "unauthorized people on the locomotive including girls". Some things
      don't change 8)

      Even funnier is that minutes identify what is probably the first painting
      of locomotive numbers onto locomotives - and the reason was to allow
      members of the public to identify trains and thus ensure complaints from
      the public could be identified to a specific locomotive and thus driver.

      So "Am I driving safely" stickers are not it seems a modern idea

      Alan
    • Ell
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3 7:33 PM
        A good summation and pictures can be found here:

        http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/trainfire.asp

        It also reproduces the false e-mail you are quoting.

        Ell Geib