Train Rules .............OK

  • FT. Dewey
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2011
      Not Z-Scale. but what can happen when rules are rules... (scroll down)
      o _____ || |
      .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
      _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

       Another fine example of misguided and thoughtless leadership.

      The consequences of officialdom.....

      It was a normal day in Sharon Springs, KS when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to Salina.

       Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail.

      The Good news: A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.
       The Bad news: The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses.

      The crew tried to explain to higher-ups but were instructed not to move the train!

      They were instructed that "Rules   prohibit moving the train when a part is defective" !!

      RULES IS RULES!

      (Don't let common sense get in the way of a   good disaster!)

      ?

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2011
        > The consequences of officialdom.....

        Or not in fact. Read the actual reports from the time instead of
        believing the internutters.

        By the time the crew discovered the source of the smoke and walked the
        half mile down the stopped train to see why - it had all gone up in
        flames.

        There are certainly cases where rules made things worse, but the reverse
        is more usually true.

        Incidentally -the minutes of the Stockton & Darlington record both that
        the main problems were intoxication, speeding (including drivers racing
        trains against each other to get to a single line section first), and
        "unauthorized people on the locomotive including girls". Some things
        don't change 8)

        Even funnier is that minutes identify what is probably the first painting
        of locomotive numbers onto locomotives - and the reason was to allow
        members of the public to identify trains and thus ensure complaints from
        the public could be identified to a specific locomotive and thus driver.

        So "Am I driving safely" stickers are not it seems a modern idea

        Alan
      • Ell
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2011
          A good summation and pictures can be found here:

          http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/trainfire.asp

          It also reproduces the false e-mail you are quoting.

          Ell Geib