Off Topic - Secret London Underground

  • LoadToad
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24 7:52 PM
      This is not Z scale or about model trains.
      I came upon a article about the abandon Royal Mail Railway.

      Check out these links, it is very interesting.

      http://www.mailrail.co.uk/

      and

      http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/London-Underground-Mail-Rail-Discovered/ss/events/wl/042211ldnmailrail/im:/ydownload/20110422/photos_net_web_wl/1303511465/#photoViewer=/ydownload/20110422/photos_net_web_wl/1303511465

      and finally a journey through the tube.

      http://www.silentuk.com/?p=2792#more-2792

      Hope you enjoy this.

      Robert
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2011
        Hello Robert,

        > I came upon a article about the abandon Royal Mail Railway.

        oh my...
        ...I should have known this about 10 days earlier. I've been in London
        from April 16 to 19 and had a lot of fun riding the tube (besides
        lots of other things too... ;-) ), I would have liked to have a look
        myself on this too.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2011
          Are there any subays in Hamburg or just commuter lines?
          I'm hoping to visit there next year and check out MinaturWunderland.

          Rob

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2011
            Hello Robert,

            > Are there any subays in Hamburg or just commuter lines?

            Hamburg has a great subway net. It is also used for commuting, but
            when go to Hamburg for shopping or for entertainment I often park my
            car in a suburb and use the subway system. I buy a day ticket even if
            I only have a few trips on the system because it is cheaper. Included
            in the system are also all buses and ferrys:

            http://www.hvv.de/en/index.php

            The HVV net expands also out of the city of Hamburg itself:

            http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/geoplan_kreise.pdf

            Here you can use the trains of the DB too with the HVV ticket.

            Besides the subways are often not underground but on a high level over
            the streets. So you can use it for sightseeing too.

            http://www.hvv.de/en/all-you-need-to-know/for-visitors-to-hamburg/

            > I'm hoping to visit there next year and check out MinaturWunderland.

            For the MiWuLa you take the U3 (yellow line) and exit at the station
            Baumwall (lower left corner of the yellow line). Besides this line is
            on a high level in the area and between Baumwall and Landungsbrücken
            you have a great view over the harbor.

            http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/usar/USAR-Plan.pdf

            Let me know when you know your timetable and if I'm free from work we
            can meet.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe