RE: [Z_Scale] Looking for UK Dealers

  • Karin Snyder
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
      As both a manufacturer and dealer for other Z scale companies we sell quite
      a bit to overseas customers and everything we make/sell is North American
      style rolling stock, structures, and accessories. Its amazing how many
      modelers in UK love N.A. train modeling and many have expressed both delight
      in getting their latest issue of ztrack or are frustrated because it hasn't
      gotten there soon enough. As for the covers, well, its what's inside the
      magazine that counts. I certainly see no reason for ztrack to give up their
      pursuit of a trustworthy dealer in UK. I would think any z scale modeler
      would be most eager to find a magazine dedicated to the scale on a rack at
      their LHS. Think positive?
      K. Snyder
      www.stonebridgemodels.com

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
        I stand corrected but its difficult to see the covers clearly on the web
        site and all have some usa stock on which surprisingly is easier to see also
        there isn't really a clear description of the articles so maybe you need to
        look at the website presentation . I still don't see you as a viable eu
        publication as there are few articles that are interest which is why I turn
        to the continental rail mags which may not have a lot of z are actually more
        relevant to the area and some ideas can be adapted. I don't think that your
        appeal for articles is going to help as the audience your trying to reach
        doesn't read it so therefore would not read the appeal.

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
          I am thinking positive its just not well publicised whats in it for the eu
          modeller I certainly would not subscribe as what I see at the moment is less
          than 10% is of use or interest to me

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
            And this is a valid point -for you, and no one is saying your feelings aren
            t considered. The point here is better distribution to those who do
            subscribe to, and enjoy this publication and those who will in the future. I
            m not really sure how this discussion got turned into a debate on whether or
            not ztrack magazine is of use to the eu market.

            From: z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com>
            Not entirely true. We are published in the US, but cover ALL Z scale,
            including European and Japanese. At least one issue a year features a
            European
            layout on our cover and we are actively working on getting more European
            article in the magazine.

            At the end of the day, Z is Z, no matter what the prototype and many of our
            articles are not specific to one continent or the other.

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            Distributor American Z Line
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            www.ztrackresale.com
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Thomas Creighton Sr
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
              I can go to my local Barnes and Noble or Borders book store and buy over 50+
              British Publications so why doesn't this work for American Publications? Just
              ask Tom Creighton Sr

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
                How about contributing with some positive suggestions? This forum is
                about learning all things Z-Scale. It's great to have a publication
                dedicated to our mutual interests. Although it has to try and appeal
                to a broad audience, we are all charged with being ambasadors if we
                want to see our hobby grow.

                And though the publication is U.S. Based, I know that it's intent is
                to give it's readers why they want in all things Z. I preach on a
                regular basis what I like to see in Z, and in a positive way, we
                should all do the same. It is in the end to your benefit to do so.

                Glad to see the pasion is growing in Z

                Don, Carlsbad, CA USA

                Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                  > would be most eager to find a magazine dedicated to the scale on a rack at
                  > their LHS. Think positive?

                  There are almost no UK model shops that stock any Z. It's a specialist
                  market, especially after Märklin changed all their supply setups - the
                  few who carried it dumped Z.

                  The reality is that most UK folks don't have a "local model shop"
                  certainly not one that does Z. Most of the market is held by a small
                  number of big mail order suppliers (who are very much model rail people)
                  and to be honest most of the small model shops are dying out.

                  You don't go into your model shop and pick up Z scale bits, you mail
                  order them from the rest of the EU.

                  Alan
                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                    In a message dated 4/7/11 11:26:24 PM, ahellary@... writes:

                    > I still don't see you as a viable eu
                    > publication

                    Ztrack is not trying to be a viable eu publication. We are a Z scale
                    publication, period. If you are truly passionate about Z, then we are for you. If
                    you are looking for a publication the caters to European modeling, the
                    publications such as Continental Modeler are good options. CM is very Z friendly,
                    and I am a subscriber. But, on the Z level, CM still does not compare to
                    Ztrack in the number of Z articles and Z information featured.

                    But on the other hand, the editors of CM are very good to work with. Last
                    year, Ztrack struck a deal with CM to republish Z scale articles that appear
                    in their issues. The first one we ran was David Dawes California Coast
                    layout. But we hope to share additional layouts including providing Z layout
                    articles to CM.

                    The fact is, Ztrack is looking to expand Z scales presence in the UK. We
                    are willing to invest money to do so. We believe in Z that strongly. I have
                    made many very good Z fiends in the UK including a few our of our best
                    customers. I think we have an opportunity to grow the scale. But it wll be a
                    challenge based on the current distribution issues with Marklin and Z products.

                    To Don's credit, he really hit the nail on the head. Ztrack is what you
                    make of it. We want articles of all prototypes and counties. We want to share
                    your interests and experiences. It is very easy to sit on ones hands and
                    complain or criticize. It is another to actually rise up and be part of the
                    solution.

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    Distributor American Z Line
                    www.ztrack.com
                    www.ztrackcenter.com
                    www.ztrackresale.com
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    Dublin OH 43016
                    (614) 764-1703

                  • ronaldjhurley
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                      Rob,

                      Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad. I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I would think.

                      ron
                    • Lee Barry
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                        Ron,
                        If Z Track mag. was made in a disc or other electronic fashion, what would
                        happen if an electrical mishap ,ie. overloaded power company circuit caused
                        everything to short out, and electrically burn up your comp; ect. I prefer to
                        have mine in a print fashion so in case I need to look something up in it it is
                        always there, unless I have a fire or flood. Then my ins. will replace it. The
                        only thing that can't be replaced might be my layout. It was fab. by Jim
                        O'Connell. Lee Barry

                        ________________________________
                        Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few
                        paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of
                        magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad.
                        I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an
                        electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm
                        not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I
                        would think.

                        ron

                      • Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                          I, for one, would love to get Ztrack in an electronic form. I would think that a simple PDF version could be made available with little or no extra cost to Rob.

                          Geoff.

                          Sent from my iPad

                          On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:39 AM, "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> wrote:

                          > Rob,
                          >
                          > Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad. I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I would think.
                          >
                          > ron

                        • ronaldjhurley
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                            Hi Lee,
                            Backups! Your most precious records (of course, Ztrack would be included) should be backed up which is very easy to do automatically. I know, I still love paper too but time to move on.
                            ron

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                            > Ron,
                            > If Z Track mag. was made in a disc or other electronic fashion, what would
                            > happen if an electrical mishap ,ie. overloaded power company circuit caused
                            > everything to short out, and electrically burn up your comp; ect. I prefer to
                            > have mine in a print fashion so in case I need to look something up in it it is
                            > always there, unless I have a fire or flood. Then my ins. will replace it. The
                            > only thing that can't be replaced might be my layout. It was fab. by Jim
                            > O'Connell. Lee Barry
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Don
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                              "N-Scale Magazine" already makes ALL of their old issues available in PDF format on CD disks, Each disk covers 5 years, although I think they could put the complete library from inception to date on one disk. Gotta make money, so break it up. You can search text only, not old ads - but you computer savvy guys would know how to be able to search for 99.999% of anything on a disk.

                              Our local railroad model group gives you the choice of PDF format or a US Snailmail letter every month. A few folks still opt for the mail. Maybe Rob should send every subscriber a printed copy AND a PDF. After all postage on PDF emails is "pretty low" :)

                              ...don

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen <mail@...> wrote:

                              > I, for one, would love to get Ztrack in an electronic form. I would think that a simple PDF version could be made available with little or no extra cost to Rob.
                              >
                              > Geoff.
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPad
                              >
                              > On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:39 AM, "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > Rob,
                              > >
                              > > Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad. I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I would think.
                              > >
                              > > ron

                            • Alan Cox
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                                > If Z Track mag. was made in a disc or other electronic fashion, what would
                                > happen if an electrical mishap ,ie. overloaded power company circuit caused
                                > everything to short out, and electrically burn up your comp; ect. I prefer to

                                You restore the backup (or get another copy off the creator). What
                                happens if your paper copy gets burned - you get another copy off the
                                creator !

                                I doubt anyone is suggesting abolishing paper copies !
                              • Alan Cox
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                                  On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 20:59:46 -0000
                                  "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                                  > "N-Scale Magazine" already makes ALL of their old issues available in PDF format on CD disks

                                  Same with the 2mmSA and the N gauge society here while several magazines
                                  (eg Railway Herald) are PDF only. The latter is a bit different in some
                                  ways as its entirely advertising supported so they want people to share
                                  copies !

                                  Alan