Re: [Z_Scale] Looking for UK Dealers

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
      One in three years? Look again! There were four European themed covers in
      the past three years (not counting 2011).

      Sepetmber/October 2010 - Volume 16#5

      http://www.ztrack.com/issues/issues_10.html

      September/October 2009 - Volume 15#5

      http://www.ztrack.com/issues/issues_09.html

      July/August 2008 - Volume 14#4
      March/April 2008 - Volume 14#3

      http://www.ztrack.com/issues/issues_08.html

      Also, don't cut us short. In 2010 we featured some amazing articles on
      European shows and themes including new European items from FR, Luetke kit line,
      show report Zedex 2009, Pillings Springtime Mountain Farm and more!

      Don't be too quick to judge just because we are printed in the US. We again
      are a global Z publication. Want to see more European layouts in Ztrack?
      Then send us articles! We are looking for them.

      By the way, I am not disappointed in UK sales. I just want to provide a
      more reliable approach to get issues in the hands of Z scalers in the UK.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Karin Snyder
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
        As both a manufacturer and dealer for other Z scale companies we sell quite
        a bit to overseas customers and everything we make/sell is North American
        style rolling stock, structures, and accessories. Its amazing how many
        modelers in UK love N.A. train modeling and many have expressed both delight
        in getting their latest issue of ztrack or are frustrated because it hasn't
        gotten there soon enough. As for the covers, well, its what's inside the
        magazine that counts. I certainly see no reason for ztrack to give up their
        pursuit of a trustworthy dealer in UK. I would think any z scale modeler
        would be most eager to find a magazine dedicated to the scale on a rack at
        their LHS. Think positive?
        K. Snyder
        www.stonebridgemodels.com

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
          I stand corrected but its difficult to see the covers clearly on the web
          site and all have some usa stock on which surprisingly is easier to see also
          there isn't really a clear description of the articles so maybe you need to
          look at the website presentation . I still don't see you as a viable eu
          publication as there are few articles that are interest which is why I turn
          to the continental rail mags which may not have a lot of z are actually more
          relevant to the area and some ideas can be adapted. I don't think that your
          appeal for articles is going to help as the audience your trying to reach
          doesn't read it so therefore would not read the appeal.

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
            I am thinking positive its just not well publicised whats in it for the eu
            modeller I certainly would not subscribe as what I see at the moment is less
            than 10% is of use or interest to me

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
              And this is a valid point -for you, and no one is saying your feelings aren
              t considered. The point here is better distribution to those who do
              subscribe to, and enjoy this publication and those who will in the future. I
              m not really sure how this discussion got turned into a debate on whether or
              not ztrack magazine is of use to the eu market.

              From: z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com>
              Not entirely true. We are published in the US, but cover ALL Z scale,
              including European and Japanese. At least one issue a year features a
              European
              layout on our cover and we are actively working on getting more European
              article in the magazine.

              At the end of the day, Z is Z, no matter what the prototype and many of our
              articles are not specific to one continent or the other.

              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              Distributor American Z Line
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703

            • Thomas Creighton Sr
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
                I can go to my local Barnes and Noble or Borders book store and buy over 50+
                British Publications so why doesn't this work for American Publications? Just
                ask Tom Creighton Sr

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 7, 2011
                  How about contributing with some positive suggestions? This forum is
                  about learning all things Z-Scale. It's great to have a publication
                  dedicated to our mutual interests. Although it has to try and appeal
                  to a broad audience, we are all charged with being ambasadors if we
                  want to see our hobby grow.

                  And though the publication is U.S. Based, I know that it's intent is
                  to give it's readers why they want in all things Z. I preach on a
                  regular basis what I like to see in Z, and in a positive way, we
                  should all do the same. It is in the end to your benefit to do so.

                  Glad to see the pasion is growing in Z

                  Don, Carlsbad, CA USA

                  Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

                • Alan Cox
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                    > would be most eager to find a magazine dedicated to the scale on a rack at
                    > their LHS. Think positive?

                    There are almost no UK model shops that stock any Z. It's a specialist
                    market, especially after Märklin changed all their supply setups - the
                    few who carried it dumped Z.

                    The reality is that most UK folks don't have a "local model shop"
                    certainly not one that does Z. Most of the market is held by a small
                    number of big mail order suppliers (who are very much model rail people)
                    and to be honest most of the small model shops are dying out.

                    You don't go into your model shop and pick up Z scale bits, you mail
                    order them from the rest of the EU.

                    Alan
                  • ztrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                      In a message dated 4/7/11 11:26:24 PM, ahellary@... writes:

                      > I still don't see you as a viable eu
                      > publication

                      Ztrack is not trying to be a viable eu publication. We are a Z scale
                      publication, period. If you are truly passionate about Z, then we are for you. If
                      you are looking for a publication the caters to European modeling, the
                      publications such as Continental Modeler are good options. CM is very Z friendly,
                      and I am a subscriber. But, on the Z level, CM still does not compare to
                      Ztrack in the number of Z articles and Z information featured.

                      But on the other hand, the editors of CM are very good to work with. Last
                      year, Ztrack struck a deal with CM to republish Z scale articles that appear
                      in their issues. The first one we ran was David Dawes California Coast
                      layout. But we hope to share additional layouts including providing Z layout
                      articles to CM.

                      The fact is, Ztrack is looking to expand Z scales presence in the UK. We
                      are willing to invest money to do so. We believe in Z that strongly. I have
                      made many very good Z fiends in the UK including a few our of our best
                      customers. I think we have an opportunity to grow the scale. But it wll be a
                      challenge based on the current distribution issues with Marklin and Z products.

                      To Don's credit, he really hit the nail on the head. Ztrack is what you
                      make of it. We want articles of all prototypes and counties. We want to share
                      your interests and experiences. It is very easy to sit on ones hands and
                      complain or criticize. It is another to actually rise up and be part of the
                      solution.

                      Rob

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      Distributor American Z Line
                      www.ztrack.com
                      www.ztrackcenter.com
                      www.ztrackresale.com
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd
                      Dublin OH 43016
                      (614) 764-1703

                    • ronaldjhurley
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                        Rob,

                        Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad. I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I would think.

                        ron
                      • Lee Barry
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                          Ron,
                          If Z Track mag. was made in a disc or other electronic fashion, what would
                          happen if an electrical mishap ,ie. overloaded power company circuit caused
                          everything to short out, and electrically burn up your comp; ect. I prefer to
                          have mine in a print fashion so in case I need to look something up in it it is
                          always there, unless I have a fire or flood. Then my ins. will replace it. The
                          only thing that can't be replaced might be my layout. It was fab. by Jim
                          O'Connell. Lee Barry

                          ________________________________
                          Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few
                          paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of
                          magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad.
                          I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an
                          electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm
                          not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I
                          would think.

                          ron

                        • Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                            I, for one, would love to get Ztrack in an electronic form. I would think that a simple PDF version could be made available with little or no extra cost to Rob.

                            Geoff.

                            Sent from my iPad

                            On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:39 AM, "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> wrote:

                            > Rob,
                            >
                            > Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad. I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I would think.
                            >
                            > ron

                          • ronaldjhurley
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                              Hi Lee,
                              Backups! Your most precious records (of course, Ztrack would be included) should be backed up which is very easy to do automatically. I know, I still love paper too but time to move on.
                              ron

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                              > Ron,
                              > If Z Track mag. was made in a disc or other electronic fashion, what would
                              > happen if an electrical mishap ,ie. overloaded power company circuit caused
                              > everything to short out, and electrically burn up your comp; ect. I prefer to
                              > have mine in a print fashion so in case I need to look something up in it it is
                              > always there, unless I have a fire or flood. Then my ins. will replace it. The
                              > only thing that can't be replaced might be my layout. It was fab. by Jim
                              > O'Connell. Lee Barry
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Don
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                                "N-Scale Magazine" already makes ALL of their old issues available in PDF format on CD disks, Each disk covers 5 years, although I think they could put the complete library from inception to date on one disk. Gotta make money, so break it up. You can search text only, not old ads - but you computer savvy guys would know how to be able to search for 99.999% of anything on a disk.

                                Our local railroad model group gives you the choice of PDF format or a US Snailmail letter every month. A few folks still opt for the mail. Maybe Rob should send every subscriber a printed copy AND a PDF. After all postage on PDF emails is "pretty low" :)

                                ...don

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen <mail@...> wrote:

                                > I, for one, would love to get Ztrack in an electronic form. I would think that a simple PDF version could be made available with little or no extra cost to Rob.
                                >
                                > Geoff.
                                >
                                > Sent from my iPad
                                >
                                > On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:39 AM, "ronaldjhurley" <rhurley@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Rob,
                                > >
                                > > Talking about the subscriptions made me realize the Ztrack is one of the few paper periodicals that I read anymore. Both daily newspapers, a couple of magazine, and 90% of books are all electronic and read on laptop, phone or iPad. I would love to have all my Ztracks on my computer and maybe indexed! Is an electronic iPad compatible version just too expensive for a small player? I'm not looking for a bargain. I would pay the same but you would save a lot I would think.
                                > >
                                > > ron

                              • Alan Cox
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                                  > If Z Track mag. was made in a disc or other electronic fashion, what would
                                  > happen if an electrical mishap ,ie. overloaded power company circuit caused
                                  > everything to short out, and electrically burn up your comp; ect. I prefer to

                                  You restore the backup (or get another copy off the creator). What
                                  happens if your paper copy gets burned - you get another copy off the
                                  creator !

                                  I doubt anyone is suggesting abolishing paper copies !
                                • Alan Cox
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 8, 2011
                                    On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 20:59:46 -0000
                                    "Don" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                                    > "N-Scale Magazine" already makes ALL of their old issues available in PDF format on CD disks

                                    Same with the 2mmSA and the N gauge society here while several magazines
                                    (eg Railway Herald) are PDF only. The latter is a bit different in some
                                    ways as its entirely advertising supported so they want people to share
                                    copies !

                                    Alan