Rail-it

  • martin soll
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
      Who makes a ramp to ease the chore of getting z scale rolling stock onto the
      tracks (similar to the N Scale products Kato 24000  and Rix Rail-It both shown
      in Walthers 2011 N-Z catalog pages 109 & 113)?

      Marty in Estacada, Oregon

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
        Mary,

        Both Marklin and Micro-Trains offer ramps. The MTL ramps are very
        inexpensive and available through any MTL dealer. It is item #988 00 222. List price
        is $2.05.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        Distributor American Z Line
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Garth
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
          David K Smith pointed out an error I made in my information on the Rokuhan switch. The toggle is a momentary contact variety and he has details on his web site. Here is the link http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/02/remarkable-product.html

          cheers Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > switches are prepared for the plug and play connections they were
          > designed to use and so do not understand this new method of
          > controlling turnouts which Rokuhan developed and patented. The
          > Rokuhan switches are not snap switches, like Atlas, Kato, Peco,
          > Marklin and many others in that you are not applying power to a coil
          > which then repels or attracts a metal core that operates the turnout.
          > This is a new way of operating turnouts and it uses a coil and a
          > magnet and the changing of the polarity of the DC supply voltage
          > changes to the two control wires of the turnout determines the
          > position of the turnout. The easiest way I can describe it's operation
          > is if you took track power and connected the turnout control leads to
          > track power terminals and open the throttle to 10vdc to the turnout
          > and now use the direction forward reverse switch to control the
          > turnout back and forth. So no push buttons but a toggle or slide
          > switch will control these turnouts. I found they would work with the
          > voltage from the power supply set as low as 6 vdc but the Rokuhan
          > Controller specification states it supplies 10vdc to the rurnouts. The
          > internal switch configuration cuts power to the turnout motor once it
          > has reached it's destination at either end of travel preventing burn
          > out. so you don't need to turn off the power to the switch once it
          > reaches is destination. So just a toggle or slide switch that
          > reverses the polarity supplied to the two control wires is needed. It
          > has to be wired like a reversing train/track direction switch in the
          > track power circuit. These turnouts use very little current. When I
          > discovered the hoq the switch operated I suggested To Rokuhan that
          > they needed to develope a module that would take accessory or
          > auxiliary power from just about any power pack or controller and to
          > control their turnouts. So it is being designed to connect to AC or DC
          > aux power from your controller and to put out the required voltage to
          > the turnouts controllers that then snap onto the body of the module or
          > to the side of the Rokuhan controller for a true plug and play system.
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGqxMnj8g3E&feature=player_embedded#at=20
          > here is a video of the outboard switch that can be added to the C001
          > Rokuhan controller and eventually will snap onto the aux power module
          > for for turnout control. The position of the turnout control lever
          > tells you what it's position is, towards you is straight thru and away
          > from you is the diverging route. In the mean time remember these
          > turnouts are both remote and manual types combined in one so they will
          > work manually until you get the power module or develop your own
          > turnout supply and switch controls. Anyone who need aditional help can
          > connect to me by e-amail direct if you wish. and I will cover this on
          > my nn3.ca web site also with diagrams plus I will ask Rokuhan to
          > supply an English instruction sheet with this information as well and

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
            Marty,
            I can get you one. Like Rob said, they work pretty decently and are not
            expensive.
            Loren

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
              Loren, "...they work pretty decently..." sounds far and away better than my fat
              fingers.

              I'd like to purchase 3.
              1. How would you like payment (I can use PayPal, credit card, or send you a USPS
              Money Order.

              2. Please let me know how much including postage.

              MARTIN  SOLL
              22791  S  REID  RD
              ESTACADA  OR  97023-9418

              Thanks for the response, Marty

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
                martin soll <solldesign@...> wrote:

                > Who makes a ramp to ease the chore of getting z scale rolling stock onto the
                > tracks

                Märklin for one, but another handy way to do this is a straight section
                of track offscene which has plastic sheet or similar butted up to the
                rail edge on the outsides. You can then just slide stock across and it
                drops onto the rails
              • Lee Barry
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                  Micro Trains makes one that they pack with their train sets. The problem I had
                  with mine was the height it is. I do not have a long enough straight place on my
                  layout so I cannot use it. The cars come off of it too fast. They also will sell
                  yo one, but be sure you have enough straight track. You wrote of Kato. The MT is
                  twice the height of a Kato or even greater. I have been thinking bout cutting
                  mine down, but will need to be able to hold it while I cut. I suggest you buy at
                  least two of these or more, "one to play with and the others to use'!!!
                  Sometimes I wish Kato would come out with Z products, but I shudder to think of
                  what they would cost. You know Z is right now where N was about 1994. Look at N
                  now. When I first got into N the people in our club would kinda snicker about
                  them until they could see what they could do. Lee Barry

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                    Hey Alan
                    You happen top have a pix of it?

                    Ray

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                      Hi Marty,

                      Email me at ljsnyder@... and I'll fix you right up.

                      Loren

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                        Lee,
                        You might want to try the Marklin rerailer. It's shorter and will work with just one 110mm straight section, while the MTL version needs more space. The disadvantage with the Marklin unit is that it's too short to work for the 80-90 ft proto rolling stock. For the big boys you need the MTL rerailer.

                        Mark
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                        > Micro Trains makes one that they pack with their train sets. The problem I had
                        > with mine was the height it is. I do not have a long enough straight place on my
                        > layout so I cannot use it. The cars come off of it too fast. They also will sell
                        > yo one, but be sure you have enough straight track. You wrote of Kato. The MT is
                        > twice the height of a Kato or even greater. I have been thinking bout cutting
                        > mine down, but will need to be able to hold it while I cut. I suggest you buy at
                        > least two of these or more, "one to play with and the others to use'!!!
                        > Sometimes I wish Kato would come out with Z products, but I shudder to think of
                        > what they would cost. You know Z is right now where N was about 1994. Look at N
                        > now. When I first got into N the people in our club would kinda snicker about
                        > them until they could see what they could do. Lee Barry
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Lee Barry
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                          Thanks. How long in inches is 110mm. I'm not sure if the only place on my layout
                          has a straight or almost straight I can get to. Thanks for the info. Lee

                          ________________________________
                          You might want to try the Marklin rerailer. It's shorter and will work with just
                          one 110mm straight section, while the MTL version needs more space. The
                          disadvantage with the Marklin unit is that it's too short to work for the 80-90
                          ft proto rolling stock. For the big boys you need the MTL rerailer.

                          Mark
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                          > Micro Trains makes one that they pack with their train sets. The problem I had

                          > with mine was the height it is. I do not have a long enough straight place on
                          >my
                          >
                          > layout so I cannot use it. The cars come off of it too fast. They also will
                          >sell
                          >
                          > yo one, but be sure you have enough straight track. You wrote of Kato. The MT
                          >is
                          >
                          > twice the height of a Kato or even greater. I have been thinking bout cutting
                          > mine down, but will need to be able to hold it while I cut. I suggest you buy
                          >at
                          >
                          > least two of these or more, "one to play with and the others to use'!!!
                          > Sometimes I wish Kato would come out with Z products, but I shudder to think of
                          >
                          > what they would cost. You know Z is right now where N was about 1994. Look at N
                          >
                          > now. When I first got into N the people in our club would kinda snicker about
                          > them until they could see what they could do. Lee Barry
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Loren Snyder
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                            4.33 inches plus a sneeze........

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                              Thanks Loren. I have been trying to get my e-mail straight. Right now I'm having
                              to login everytime I go to my e-mail. I'll get with you on my stuff.You know
                              basically how my layout is. There's not many places to put cars on the track,
                              every time I put an engine on it I almost mess up a tree. Lee

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                                Trees are a good thing........especially if I am selling them to folks.

                                Watch out for spotted owls though, they like to bomb you when you walk under
                                them.

                                Now, if you happen to cut one down with a tree hugger perched in the top
                                branches.....well, now that is a whole different story.....one with a happy
                                ending....except for the tree hugger.. :o)

                                Loren

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
                                  Marty,
                                  Reynard posted a link to some Rokuhan information:
                                  http://intermountain-railway.com/distrib/rokuhan/rokuhanz.htm
                                  and they have an interesting re-railer as well.

                                  Mark

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, martin soll <solldesign@...> wrote:

                                  > Who makes a ramp to ease the chore of getting z scale rolling stock onto the
                                  > tracks (similar to the N Scale products Kato 24000  and Rix Rail-It both shown
                                  > in Walthers 2011 N-Z catalog pages 109 & 113)?
                                  >
                                  > Marty in Estacada, Oregon

                                • martin soll
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                    Another rather zimple question from a newbie to Z Zcale:

                                    Comparing 2 brand new locos right out of the box--Marklin F7 #88603 and
                                    Micro-Trains Line (MTL) GP35 #981 01 520
                                    Observations:
                                    Both have been run more than 20 minutes.
                                    Marklin runs mush faster around a simple level oval at a lower voltage and
                                    higher current draw (lower wattage).
                                    Marklin:--10 seconds, 4 VDC, 44 mA (calculated 176 milliwatts)
                                    MTL:------15 seconds, 8 VDC, 24 mA (calculated 192 milliwatts)

                                    QUESTION:
                                    Do you think there is something wrong with the MTL (e.g. dry or insufficient
                                    lube, binding somewhere in the drive train, etc.)?

                                    TIA for your time to consider this situation,
                                    Marty Zoll
                                    EZtacada, OR

                                  • Lindley Ruddick
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                      Totally different motors with totally different characteristics. All seems normal.
                                      Marklins are often real screamers with regards to speed. Some Marklin locos are either off or full speed ahead. MTL's will creep.
                                      Lindley

                                      > Another rather zimple question from a newbie to Z Zcale:
                                      >
                                      > Comparing 2 brand new locos right out of the box--Marklin F7 #88603 and
                                      > Micro-Trains Line (MTL) GP35 #981 01 520
                                      > Observations:
                                      > Both have been run more than 20 minutes.
                                      > Marklin runs mush faster around a simple level oval at a lower voltage and
                                      > higher current draw (lower wattage).
                                      > Marklin:--10 seconds, 4 VDC, 44 mA (calculated 176 milliwatts)
                                      > MTL:------15 seconds, 8 VDC, 24 mA (calculated 192 milliwatts)
                                      >
                                      > QUESTION:
                                      > Do you think there is something wrong with the MTL (e.g. dry or insufficient
                                      > lube, binding somewhere in the drive train, etc.)?
                                      >
                                      > TIA for your time to consider this situation,
                                      > Marty Zoll
                                      > EZtacada, OR

                                    • John Duino
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                        I agree with Lindley.

                                        Marklins also, as you observed, draw significantly more amperage. I'm actually surprised the GP35 is pulling 22ma as I've seen many in the low 10's. Might just be needing more break-in. 40'ish doesn't seem out of character for the Marklin.

                                        John

                                        Totally different motors with totally different characteristics. All seems normal.
                                        Marklins are often real screamers with regards to speed. Some Marklin locos are either off or full speed ahead. MTL's will creep.
                                        Lindley

                                        > Another rather zimple question from a newbie to Z Zcale:
                                        >
                                        > Comparing 2 brand new locos right out of the box--Marklin F7 #88603 and
                                        > Micro-Trains Line (MTL) GP35 #981 01 520
                                        > Observations:
                                        > Both have been run more than 20 minutes.
                                        > Marklin runs mush faster around a simple level oval at a lower voltage and
                                        > higher current draw (lower wattage).
                                        > Marklin:--10 seconds, 4 VDC, 44 mA (calculated 176 milliwatts)
                                        > MTL:------15 seconds, 8 VDC, 24 mA (calculated 192 milliwatts)
                                        >
                                        > QUESTION:
                                        > Do you think there is something wrong with the MTL (e.g. dry or insufficient
                                        > lube, binding somewhere in the drive train, etc.)?
                                        >
                                        > TIA for your time to consider this situation,
                                        > Marty Zoll
                                        > EZtacada, OR

                                      • mark2playz
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                          Marty,
                                          I agree they are different motors. Your GP35 seems to be a bit slow compared to my GP9s (same motor and chassis). But if you are refering to the 20" x 15" loop from the MTL set, 10-15 seconds at 6 to 8V isn't abnormal for my fleet.
                                          If you are still concerned, I asked a question to the effect of "how do you know if your loco is running right". I got a good response of tips for tweaks and issues to look for. I'd point you there but I'm on dial-up right now.