how to control the Rokuhan Turnouts

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
      THis message is addressed to the three groups that are most likely to
      us these turnouts. If that is not you then just delete it now. It has
      come to my attention that very few people who are getting these new
      switches are prepared for the plug and play connections they were
      designed to use and so do not understand this new method of
      controlling turnouts which Rokuhan developed and patented. The
      Rokuhan switches are not snap switches, like Atlas, Kato, Peco,
      Marklin and many others in that you are not applying power to a coil
      which then repels or attracts a metal core that operates the turnout.
      This is a new way of operating turnouts and it uses a coil and a
      magnet and the changing of the polarity of the DC supply voltage
      changes to the two control wires of the turnout determines the
      position of the turnout. The easiest way I can describe it's operation
      is if you took track power and connected the turnout control leads to
      track power terminals and open the throttle to 10vdc to the turnout
      and now use the direction forward reverse switch to control the
      turnout back and forth. So no push buttons but a toggle or slide
      switch will control these turnouts. I found they would work with the
      voltage from the power supply set as low as 6 vdc but the Rokuhan
      Controller specification states it supplies 10vdc to the rurnouts. The
      internal switch configuration cuts power to the turnout motor once it
      has reached it's destination at either end of travel preventing burn
      out. so you don't need to turn off the power to the switch once it
      reaches is destination. So just a toggle or slide switch that
      reverses the polarity supplied to the two control wires is needed. It
      has to be wired like a reversing train/track direction switch in the
      track power circuit. These turnouts use very little current. When I
      discovered the hoq the switch operated I suggested To Rokuhan that
      they needed to develope a module that would take accessory or
      auxiliary power from just about any power pack or controller and to
      control their turnouts. So it is being designed to connect to AC or DC
      aux power from your controller and to put out the required voltage to
      the turnouts controllers that then snap onto the body of the module or
      to the side of the Rokuhan controller for a true plug and play system.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGqxMnj8g3E&feature=player_embedded#at=20
      here is a video of the outboard switch that can be added to the C001
      Rokuhan controller and eventually will snap onto the aux power module
      for for turnout control. The position of the turnout control lever
      tells you what it's position is, towards you is straight thru and away
      from you is the diverging route. In the mean time remember these
      turnouts are both remote and manual types combined in one so they will
      work manually until you get the power module or develop your own
      turnout supply and switch controls. Anyone who need aditional help can
      connect to me by e-amail direct if you wish. and I will cover this on
      my nn3.ca web site also with diagrams plus I will ask Rokuhan to
      supply an English instruction sheet with this information as well and
      add it to the web site.
      best regards Garth
    • martin soll
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
        Who makes a ramp to ease the chore of getting z scale rolling stock onto the
        tracks (similar to the N Scale products Kato 24000  and Rix Rail-It both shown
        in Walthers 2011 N-Z catalog pages 109 & 113)?

        Marty in Estacada, Oregon

      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
          Mary,

          Both Marklin and Micro-Trains offer ramps. The MTL ramps are very
          inexpensive and available through any MTL dealer. It is item #988 00 222. List price
          is $2.05.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor American Z Line
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          www.ztrackresale.com
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
            David K Smith pointed out an error I made in my information on the Rokuhan switch. The toggle is a momentary contact variety and he has details on his web site. Here is the link http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/02/remarkable-product.html

            cheers Garth

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGqxMnj8g3E&feature=player_embedded#at=20
            > here is a video of the outboard switch that can be added to the C001
            > Rokuhan controller and eventually will snap onto the aux power module
            > for for turnout control. The position of the turnout control lever
            > tells you what it's position is, towards you is straight thru and away
            > from you is the diverging route. In the mean time remember these
            > turnouts are both remote and manual types combined in one so they will
            > work manually until you get the power module or develop your own
            > turnout supply and switch controls. Anyone who need aditional help can
            > connect to me by e-amail direct if you wish. and I will cover this on
            > my nn3.ca web site also with diagrams plus I will ask Rokuhan to
            > supply an English instruction sheet with this information as well and

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
              Marty,
              I can get you one. Like Rob said, they work pretty decently and are not
              expensive.
              Loren

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                Loren, "...they work pretty decently..." sounds far and away better than my fat
                fingers.

                I'd like to purchase 3.
                1. How would you like payment (I can use PayPal, credit card, or send you a USPS
                Money Order.

                2. Please let me know how much including postage.

                MARTIN  SOLL
                22791  S  REID  RD
                ESTACADA  OR  97023-9418

                Thanks for the response, Marty

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                  On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
                  martin soll <solldesign@...> wrote:

                  > Who makes a ramp to ease the chore of getting z scale rolling stock onto the
                  > tracks

                  Märklin for one, but another handy way to do this is a straight section
                  of track offscene which has plastic sheet or similar butted up to the
                  rail edge on the outsides. You can then just slide stock across and it
                  drops onto the rails
                • Lee Barry
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                    Micro Trains makes one that they pack with their train sets. The problem I had
                    with mine was the height it is. I do not have a long enough straight place on my
                    layout so I cannot use it. The cars come off of it too fast. They also will sell
                    yo one, but be sure you have enough straight track. You wrote of Kato. The MT is
                    twice the height of a Kato or even greater. I have been thinking bout cutting
                    mine down, but will need to be able to hold it while I cut. I suggest you buy at
                    least two of these or more, "one to play with and the others to use'!!!
                    Sometimes I wish Kato would come out with Z products, but I shudder to think of
                    what they would cost. You know Z is right now where N was about 1994. Look at N
                    now. When I first got into N the people in our club would kinda snicker about
                    them until they could see what they could do. Lee Barry

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                      Hey Alan
                      You happen top have a pix of it?

                      Ray

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                        Hi Marty,

                        Email me at ljsnyder@... and I'll fix you right up.

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                          Lee,
                          You might want to try the Marklin rerailer. It's shorter and will work with just one 110mm straight section, while the MTL version needs more space. The disadvantage with the Marklin unit is that it's too short to work for the 80-90 ft proto rolling stock. For the big boys you need the MTL rerailer.

                          Mark
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                          > Micro Trains makes one that they pack with their train sets. The problem I had
                          > with mine was the height it is. I do not have a long enough straight place on my
                          > layout so I cannot use it. The cars come off of it too fast. They also will sell
                          > yo one, but be sure you have enough straight track. You wrote of Kato. The MT is
                          > twice the height of a Kato or even greater. I have been thinking bout cutting
                          > mine down, but will need to be able to hold it while I cut. I suggest you buy at
                          > least two of these or more, "one to play with and the others to use'!!!
                          > Sometimes I wish Kato would come out with Z products, but I shudder to think of
                          > what they would cost. You know Z is right now where N was about 1994. Look at N
                          > now. When I first got into N the people in our club would kinda snicker about
                          > them until they could see what they could do. Lee Barry
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Lee Barry
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                            Thanks. How long in inches is 110mm. I'm not sure if the only place on my layout
                            has a straight or almost straight I can get to. Thanks for the info. Lee

                            ________________________________
                            You might want to try the Marklin rerailer. It's shorter and will work with just
                            one 110mm straight section, while the MTL version needs more space. The
                            disadvantage with the Marklin unit is that it's too short to work for the 80-90
                            ft proto rolling stock. For the big boys you need the MTL rerailer.

                            Mark
                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

                            > Micro Trains makes one that they pack with their train sets. The problem I had

                            > with mine was the height it is. I do not have a long enough straight place on
                            >my
                            >
                            > layout so I cannot use it. The cars come off of it too fast. They also will
                            >sell
                            >
                            > yo one, but be sure you have enough straight track. You wrote of Kato. The MT
                            >is
                            >
                            > twice the height of a Kato or even greater. I have been thinking bout cutting
                            > mine down, but will need to be able to hold it while I cut. I suggest you buy
                            >at
                            >
                            > least two of these or more, "one to play with and the others to use'!!!
                            > Sometimes I wish Kato would come out with Z products, but I shudder to think of
                            >
                            > what they would cost. You know Z is right now where N was about 1994. Look at N
                            >
                            > now. When I first got into N the people in our club would kinda snicker about
                            > them until they could see what they could do. Lee Barry
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Loren Snyder
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                              4.33 inches plus a sneeze........

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                                Thanks Loren. I have been trying to get my e-mail straight. Right now I'm having
                                to login everytime I go to my e-mail. I'll get with you on my stuff.You know
                                basically how my layout is. There's not many places to put cars on the track,
                                every time I put an engine on it I almost mess up a tree. Lee

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
                                  Trees are a good thing........especially if I am selling them to folks.

                                  Watch out for spotted owls though, they like to bomb you when you walk under
                                  them.

                                  Now, if you happen to cut one down with a tree hugger perched in the top
                                  branches.....well, now that is a whole different story.....one with a happy
                                  ending....except for the tree hugger.. :o)

                                  Loren

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
                                    Marty,
                                    Reynard posted a link to some Rokuhan information:
                                    http://intermountain-railway.com/distrib/rokuhan/rokuhanz.htm
                                    and they have an interesting re-railer as well.

                                    Mark

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, martin soll <solldesign@...> wrote:

                                    > Who makes a ramp to ease the chore of getting z scale rolling stock onto the
                                    > tracks (similar to the N Scale products Kato 24000  and Rix Rail-It both shown
                                    > in Walthers 2011 N-Z catalog pages 109 & 113)?
                                    >
                                    > Marty in Estacada, Oregon

                                  • martin soll
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                      Another rather zimple question from a newbie to Z Zcale:

                                      Comparing 2 brand new locos right out of the box--Marklin F7 #88603 and
                                      Micro-Trains Line (MTL) GP35 #981 01 520
                                      Observations:
                                      Both have been run more than 20 minutes.
                                      Marklin runs mush faster around a simple level oval at a lower voltage and
                                      higher current draw (lower wattage).
                                      Marklin:--10 seconds, 4 VDC, 44 mA (calculated 176 milliwatts)
                                      MTL:------15 seconds, 8 VDC, 24 mA (calculated 192 milliwatts)

                                      QUESTION:
                                      Do you think there is something wrong with the MTL (e.g. dry or insufficient
                                      lube, binding somewhere in the drive train, etc.)?

                                      TIA for your time to consider this situation,
                                      Marty Zoll
                                      EZtacada, OR

                                    • Lindley Ruddick
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                        Totally different motors with totally different characteristics. All seems normal.
                                        Marklins are often real screamers with regards to speed. Some Marklin locos are either off or full speed ahead. MTL's will creep.
                                        Lindley

                                        > Another rather zimple question from a newbie to Z Zcale:
                                        >
                                        > Comparing 2 brand new locos right out of the box--Marklin F7 #88603 and
                                        > Micro-Trains Line (MTL) GP35 #981 01 520
                                        > Observations:
                                        > Both have been run more than 20 minutes.
                                        > Marklin runs mush faster around a simple level oval at a lower voltage and
                                        > higher current draw (lower wattage).
                                        > Marklin:--10 seconds, 4 VDC, 44 mA (calculated 176 milliwatts)
                                        > MTL:------15 seconds, 8 VDC, 24 mA (calculated 192 milliwatts)
                                        >
                                        > QUESTION:
                                        > Do you think there is something wrong with the MTL (e.g. dry or insufficient
                                        > lube, binding somewhere in the drive train, etc.)?
                                        >
                                        > TIA for your time to consider this situation,
                                        > Marty Zoll
                                        > EZtacada, OR

                                      • John Duino
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                          I agree with Lindley.

                                          Marklins also, as you observed, draw significantly more amperage. I'm actually surprised the GP35 is pulling 22ma as I've seen many in the low 10's. Might just be needing more break-in. 40'ish doesn't seem out of character for the Marklin.

                                          John

                                          Totally different motors with totally different characteristics. All seems normal.
                                          Marklins are often real screamers with regards to speed. Some Marklin locos are either off or full speed ahead. MTL's will creep.
                                          Lindley

                                          > Another rather zimple question from a newbie to Z Zcale:
                                          >
                                          > Comparing 2 brand new locos right out of the box--Marklin F7 #88603 and
                                          > Micro-Trains Line (MTL) GP35 #981 01 520
                                          > Observations:
                                          > Both have been run more than 20 minutes.
                                          > Marklin runs mush faster around a simple level oval at a lower voltage and
                                          > higher current draw (lower wattage).
                                          > Marklin:--10 seconds, 4 VDC, 44 mA (calculated 176 milliwatts)
                                          > MTL:------15 seconds, 8 VDC, 24 mA (calculated 192 milliwatts)
                                          >
                                          > QUESTION:
                                          > Do you think there is something wrong with the MTL (e.g. dry or insufficient
                                          > lube, binding somewhere in the drive train, etc.)?
                                          >
                                          > TIA for your time to consider this situation,
                                          > Marty Zoll
                                          > EZtacada, OR

                                        • mark2playz
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                                            Marty,
                                            I agree they are different motors. Your GP35 seems to be a bit slow compared to my GP9s (same motor and chassis). But if you are refering to the 20" x 15" loop from the MTL set, 10-15 seconds at 6 to 8V isn't abnormal for my fleet.
                                            If you are still concerned, I asked a question to the effect of "how do you know if your loco is running right". I got a good response of tips for tweaks and issues to look for. I'd point you there but I'm on dial-up right now.