Re: [Z_Scale] Bullfrog Snot?

  • Don Fedjur
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
      I think that I can speak for many on this subject. At least for where it has been applied in Z-Scale. Simply put, do not use it for Z-Scale. Maybe the only exception is if you loose your traction tire such as are equipped on AZL products, you can "fill" the machine groove in the wheel with BS.

      It is not that this product does not work, it just does not work for Z-Scale. I do engine repair, cleaning, trouble shooting and DCC. I have come across engines that their owners decided to apply BS. It causes more trouble then it is worth including a rocky effect depending upon the amount applied to the wheel. Also, power pickup is critical to Z-Scale, so when applying what is effectively an insulator to create traction, causes a new problem with power pick up. As far as maintenance, the BS is a nightmare if you get even the smallest amount into the gearing etc.

      Pretty straight forward. If you still insist on trying it out, make sure the wheel you are coating is spinning by applying power to the trucks, off the track of course. The smallest amount as possible. Too much and you have a rocky engine with poor pickup.

      Don

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
        Try using Auto Trasmission fluid. See the article in the May 2011 issue of Model
        Rail Roader magazine by Kalmbach. Some one used it on his HO scale layout. It
        seems to improve traction as per the article. It was not an advertisement. Lee
        Barry

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
          Hello Jeff & Don,
          Thank you for sharing your experience with this product.
          I've known better than to fool with the critical pickup of any
          locomotive from the days when I tried to run N scale steamers.
          Traction tires on some of them caused them never
          to perform right out of the box! In fact, my Marklin
          Z scale steamers were a delight to watch running around
          without a hitch when I first got into Z.

          Shelf sleepers can only be used for still photography.

          regardZ,
          Reynard

          On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Don Fedjur wrote:

          > I think that I can speak for many on this subject. At least for where it has been applied in Z-Scale. Simply put, do not use it for Z-Scale. Maybe the only exception is if you loose your traction tire such as are equipped on AZL products, you can "fill" the machine groove in the wheel with BS.
          >
          > It is not that this product does not work, it just does not work for Z-Scale. I do engine repair, cleaning, trouble shooting and DCC. I have come across engines that their owners decided to apply BS. It causes more trouble then it is worth including a rocky effect depending upon the amount applied to the wheel. Also, power pickup is critical to Z-Scale, so when applying what is effectively an insulator to create traction, causes a new problem with power pick up. As far as maintenance, the BS is a nightmare if you get even the smallest amount into the gearing etc.
          >
          > Pretty straight forward. If you still insist on trying it out, make sure the wheel you are coating is spinning by applying power to the trucks, off the track of course. The smallest amount as possible. Too much and you have a rocky engine with poor pickup.
          >
          > Don

        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
            *I asked several Z Scalers AND some HO folks who probably know more about Z
            or HO than anyone else about running model trains. They DO NOT agree with
            the May 2010 Model RR article and STRONGLY suggest that you stay a long way
            away from Transmission Fluid.

            FWIW.

            ...don

            *
            On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Lee Barry <z_scale2@...> wrote:

            > Try using Auto Trasmission fluid. See the article in the May 2011 issue of
            > Model
            > Rail Roader magazine by Kalmbach. Some one used it on his HO scale layout.
            > It
            > seems to improve traction as per the article. It was not an advertisement.
            > Lee
            > Barry
            >
            > ________________________________

            *...don a* * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

          • Don Fedjur
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
              If you want better traction, it's like Jeff stated, use weight, replace plastic wheels with metal wheels such as Fox Valley for better rolling and possibly consider making your train shorter. Measure your grades, anything above 2% is gonna be a challenge. If you can get your hands on Tungsten powder (heavier than lead) mix it with a thinned PVA or solvent thinned epoxy and make yourself some weights. You can push the mixture into the open cavities that don't interfere with any running gear, motor, etc. of your engine. Use some cling wrap as a slip mold so the Tungsten mixture Epoxy or PVA does not stick to your valuable chassis cover/shell. Once cured or dried, take out, sand or file finish to fit and viola, you have a heavy weighted traction addition to your motive power.

              Don

              While it may work great in HO scale, getting it thin enough in Z so as to
              not
              lift other wheels, being non-uniform in thickness so as to create an
              eccentric
              wobbling wheel and loosing an additional electrical pickup is not worth it.

              Either add a bit more weight (in Märklin locos), use another loco in a
              consist,
              reduce the grades (<2%), shorten the train or best, use metal wheels in
              place of
              MTL's plastic wheels.

              Jeff M
              SF Bay Araa Z
              (a.k.a. The BAZ BoyZ)

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mmgpsych" <mmgpsych@...> wrote:

              > Who here has any experience with Bullfrog Snot? How much does it help
              with
              >traction, if at all? Are there any dangers in applying it? (Can you muck
              up a
              >loco beyond repair if you get it wrong?) Also, must your loco's wheels be
              >powered and spinning when you apply it? Thanks in advance.

              ...don a* * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
                > challenge. If you can get your hands on Tungsten powder (heavier than lead) mix it with a thinned PVA or solvent thinned
                > epoxy and make yourself some weights.

                Be very very careful how you do that. Some mixes of metals and solvents
                react and expand over time, including (as many modellers discovered the
                catastrophic way) lead + pva.
              • rvn20012000
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
                  Contrary to what others here have said, I have applied Bullfrog Snot to some of my locos with positive results. I had 3 AZL SD70s that had trouble after a while and just spun their wheels. I applied the Bullfrog Snot to the appropriate wheels and they now run like they used to. I have also applied it to the wheels of steam engines from Marklin and Tenshodo with positive results. You will need to turn the loco upside down and run the wheels while applying it. You should also pay attention to apply it to powered wheels that aren't responsible for electrical pick-up where possible. I use a pin or needle point to apply it sparingly to the wheels on one axle. You should be careful while applying it but I've never caused any problems for any of my locos.

                  Thom Welsch

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mmgpsych" <mmgpsych@...> wrote:

                  > Who here has any experience with Bullfrog Snot? How much does it help with traction, if at all? Are there any dangers in applying it? (Can you muck up a loco beyond repair if you get it wrong?) Also, must your loco's wheels be powered and spinning when you apply it? Thanks in advance.

                • Michael Gindi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Thanks so much for all the answers. It appears almost unanimous that BS
                    is BS for Z. Thanks again.
                    mmg