Rokuhan Turnout Test

  • reynard wellman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2011
      Hello Fellow Zeds,

      I am happy to report that I received some Rokuhan
      turnouts a couple of days ago and have spent a little
      time this Saturday morning running locomotives back
      and forth. I am using a mix of MTL roadbed track
      and one Rokuhan turnout. One universal thing I can
      state about this turnout performance; I did not experience
      one single derailment with this turnout. It should be
      noted that no Z locomotive will perform very well until
      it has been sufficiently warmed up. Here is each
      loco performance in detail:

      1] MTL GP35 - smooth, no bouncing, no stalls.
      Can be stopped anywhere in the frog and will
      startup again without taps or pushes. Slow runs OK.

      2] MTL F7 Santa Fe- this loco is old and while the motor will
      pick up juice, the gears are not meshing. Test is meaningless
      since the power is not transferred to the wheels on any track.

      3] MTL F7 SP - this loco has always rocked like a jitterbug until it
      warms up. Once warmed up and with about 20 runs back
      and forth, it only stalled once in the turnout. Slow runs chancy.

      3] Marklin Pacific (US type) - runs ok, back and forth thru
      the turnout however since the model is so light weight, it
      will bounce a bit while passing thru the frog. Some tapping
      required. (Tenders of Marklin steamers need to have
      electrical pickup BeCu installed.)

      4} MTL GP9 PRR - Very nice performance. No stalls.
      Slow runs OK.

      5] AZL UPC44W-9W - this heavy brass diesel has always
      been a performance jewel. No stalls, no rocking, slow runs
      thru the turnout as if it weren't there.

      6] AZL GS-4 "Daylight"- heavy brass steam engine. Runs great thru
      the turnout, no rocking, no stalls and very nice to watch.
      Elegant drive rods.

      7] AZL Cab Forward - light weight brass steam engine. This
      is the biggest surprise of them all. It runs flawlessly thru the
      turnout, both directions. Once I figure out how to weigh down
      the alternate unpowered drive wheel set with some tungsten so that
      those idle driver wheels will rotate as well, it will be the most interesting
      of all my locos to watch on the layout.

      8] Tenshodo D50 Mikado - Takes a while to warm up, but
      performs fairly well at a moderate speed. Great advantage with
      power-pick-up tender. Will take more time to evaluate electrical
      relationship to the turnout. Never bounces. Cute loco.

      Tie Spacing: I can understand why some Z folks do not
      like the ties. I am not bothered about it.

      Roadbed Appearance: Blends fine with MTL roadbed color and rock size.

      Roadbed Height: about .02" higher than the MTL. The MTL roadbed
      needs to be shimmed up with chipboard where it meets Rokuhan roadbed.
      Rokuhan roadbed is higher to accommodate hidden solenoid actuation.

      Frog & Points: Although the Rokuhan turnouts appear to be made
      with the same materials as the MTL turnouts, they are entirely
      different. Close examination will reveal that much of the engineering
      concepts have been evolved for smooth performance.

      That's all I can say about it for now.

      regardZ,
      Reynard

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
        Hmmm... I wonder where and how you got those Rokuhan turn-outs?

        Alex
      • reynard wellman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
          Hi Alex and Z folks,
          I got the turnouts from you, Alex, and thank you!
          So far, this first experience with them has been very positive.

          I have put together MTL roadbed straight track
          with Rokuhan roadbed turnouts successfully but with
          modifications to make them fit.

          When I have the time, I will post "how to" HTML with
          pictures of this.

          warm regardZ,
          Reynard
          http://www.micronart.com
          On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:03 AM, Alex wrote:

          > Hmmm... I wonder where and how you got those Rokuhan turn-outs?
          >
          > Alex

        • rvn20012000
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
            Reynard,

            Thanks for the report. It sounds like this new track will be a good alternative. I'll have to try some once I get a job.

            Thom Welsch