F7 running hot

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
      I was running my Z layout at a train show. I decided to run a new F7
      that I'd run before for about 20 minutes to "break it in". I ran it for
      about an hour and a half (it ran well) and decided to replace it with
      other motive power. When I picked it up, I was shocked to find that it
      was hot. Not too hot to hold, but definitely more than warm. I only have
      2 F7s and don't run them much. Is this normal?

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • reynard wellman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
        Hi Malcolm,

        Yes, my MTL F7s have always run hot.
        Maybe I overloaded them with the weight
        of too many cars which is tempting to do.
        They look so cool, especially the Santa Fe
        Warbonnet.

        But don't be surprised if one day they no longer run.

        best regardZ,
        Reynard
        http://www.micronart.com
        On Mar 28, 2011, at 9:07 AM, Malcolm Cleaveland wrote:

        > I was running my Z layout at a train show. I decided to run a new F7
        > that I'd run before for about 20 minutes to "break it in". I ran it for
        > about an hour and a half (it ran well) and decided to replace it with
        > other motive power. When I picked it up, I was shocked to find that it
        > was hot. Not too hot to hold, but definitely more than warm. I only have
        > 2 F7s and don't run them much. Is this normal?
        >
        > CheerZ,
        > -- Malcolm Z

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2011
          Which power supply do you run it with? No pulse power? Another field of investigation could be the lubricant becoming thick, especially if the loco is not run oftenly. In that case it's a matter of dissasembling the loco, cleaning the moving parts from the old lubricant, reassembling the loco again and relubricating.
          Dom