Traction Tire Info

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2011
      First, for all the people who knew what they where talking about on and off this group that helped me with my question.

      THANK YOU

      Now for what I learned and what I did with it.
      This is for all the people who hate traction tires.

      I got an SD70 truck without traction tires from an AZL dealer.
      This gave me 2 axles to use

      YES, the SD70 geared axle / wheel is the same as the GP7
      and YES, it can be easily changed

      I changed my GP7 and it worked great and kept on working the same for quite a while before needing to do any cleaning of the wheels

      Then I got an SD70 which I ran with the traction tires and it didn't seem to have the same problems as the GP7 did after running it for a short while (I'm assuming because it has 5 other wheels for pick up). I still went out and changed out the traction tire so I wouldn't have to deal with it later and it still runs great without it.
    • john mui
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2011
        Kevn, I am glad it work out for you. While I dont like traction tires on the
        geeps, I do like it on the SD's. While the axle with traction tires do not
        pick up electricity as well, they do pick up some from the flanges. I did
        test traction tires on my GP35. It ran well on the mainline, but it stalled
        often on switching duties.

        Also, I am interested in trading some of my regular axles for your axles
        with traction tires. Let me know if you are interested.

        John