Re: [Z_Scale] tie spacing

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2011
      > In my humble opinion, Marklin track tie spacing doesn't match heavy european mainline railroad. It looks more like spur or siding style track.

      There is a difference in spacing between steel, concrete and wooden
      sleepering and the Märklin is wooden sleeper style. I can't speak for
      France these days but it's certainly bang on for wooden sleepers in
      Germany in the 1970s, which shouldn't a surprise I guess.

      Some of the high speed lines are concrete sleepers (or slab track in
      places) at closer spacings but the MTL track models wooden sleepers as
      well.

      Real spacing is more complex anyway, sleepers are usually closer together
      at the track joints on joined track for example. So if you are really
      fussy you need to make your own track (and given the thick and high toy
      train rail most Z uses the sleepers are far from the only reason to do
      that). Much N gauge rail is actually finer and lower in height than Z !

      Alan