Re: Re : MTL turnouts (was Re: [Z_Scale] Ztrains.com :60 Interview With Rokuhan)

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 12, 2011
      Of course you're right. I don't want to argue against nobody, but please simply imagine that I want to remain on one brand. As my track is MTL flex, on my current layout as well as on my future work, I simply want to keep the same tie spacing for all my right of way, track and turnouts. That's as simple as that, but that's my point of view and I defend it....
      Best,
      Dom

      De: Garth <garth.a.hamilton@...>
      À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Jeudi 10 mars 2011, 16h08

      Dom Reynard; There is no question that there are alternatives to Rokuhan and
      Micro Trains Roadbed track. I have Fast Tracks jigs and quite a bit of code 40
      hand layed and use Peter Wright and Fast Tracks jig built switches. It takes a
      bit of work to get it all working nicley but with my 2 x 4 foot test layout of
      Rokuhan I learned very quickly that it is as bullet proof as it can get from a
      plug and play track system to up and running. I have now run 4 shows of 6 hours
      each show and no derailments that were not man made. One case a child reached
      for a car and parent was not quick enough. and another when someone bumped the
      table with a stroller and toddler. I have been running a mix of Japanese and
      North American Z on 5 loops of track and one N-scale train on the outside loop.
      On two loops there is a cross over in both directions and the trains run through
      that with out a problem. The track is spiked down on a piece of homosote which
      is 2 x 4 feet so it
      just gets placed on top of the stuff in the back seat of my car with a sheet of
      cardboard on top as a bit of protection and I just set it down on a table top to
      run trains. Track goes to-gether easily with no hassle connecting of one piece
      of track to another and not rails climbing up over the rail joiners even the
      first time you try and connect them and no rail joiners left in place when
      disconnecting the track pieces. Yes with the tie spacing it is not prototypical
      looking for North American standard gauge track and it is more typical of Narrow
      gauge track for Nn3 than standard gauge for Z. but once in operation most people
      don't see it they just see trains running. DO you have to decide just what you
      want your track to do. I have a Micro Trains road bed track layout at home and a
      hand laid code 40 Nn3 layout at home but neither would stand up to
      transportation like this 2 x 4ft Rokuhan test layout does and the ones in my
      basement run fine but do
      require some maintenance from time to time and they run fine in the temperature
      controlled atmosphere of my basement. On the other hand the Rokuhan ones runs
      fine despite the rough handling it get and the trains running round and round
      with no derailments are what attracts the crowds and keep them there mesmerized.
      So Rokuhan may not be the bees knees for everyone but for me it is to Z scale as
      Kato Unitrack is to n-scale, so as bullet proof as it gets and the fastest route
      to up and running in this scale that I have seen to date. coming in the future
      are 30 degree curves and wider radius curves of 245 and 270mm with curved
      turnouts and flex track with road bed cross overs sections of track with
      isolation gaps already in place for reverse loops etc. Even shorter straights
      than the L55mm to help plug and play build micro layouts with curves down to R
      70mm.

      cheerz Garth

    • john_ztrains
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 12, 2011
        Though I haven't seen much on this, I'd think the Nn3 guys would like this IF they choose to go sectional. Of course a lot of Nn3 guys really pride themselves, rightfully so, on their handlaid track.

        Might be interesting to see Rokuhan really pitch their new track in N publications as a ready-to-run Nn3 alternative to handlaid.

        It is kind of interesting to see... for years folks complained about Marklin tie spacing for NA use. Then MTL came out with their sectional and that was applauded for the spacing.

        It almost seems now that many are willing for overlook the spacing for NA Z use in exchange for the number of unique track pieces Rokuhan looks to deliver as well as the concealed turnout motors.

        Until it's available for sale it's a lot of speculation of course, but it will be interesting to see how readily the Rokuhan is accepted and more importantly, purchased, by Z scalers.

        John
        http://www.ztrains.com
      • reynard wellman
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 12, 2011
          Hi John,
          I for one, will be obtaining some of these track pieces,
          especially the turnouts. As long as they meet the gauge
          required, hide the actuation under the roadbed and provide
          easy wiring control, it all looks good to me.

          Thanks,
          Reynard
          On Mar 12, 2011, at 6:38 PM, john_ztrains wrote:

          > Though I haven't seen much on this, I'd think the Nn3 guys would like this IF they choose to go sectional. Of course a lot of Nn3 guys really pride themselves, rightfully so, on their handlaid track.
          >
          > Might be interesting to see Rokuhan really pitch their new track in N publications as a ready-to-run Nn3 alternative to handlaid.
          >
          > It is kind of interesting to see... for years folks complained about Marklin tie spacing for NA use. Then MTL came out with their sectional and that was applauded for the spacing.
          >
          > It almost seems now that many are willing for overlook the spacing for NA Z use in exchange for the number of unique track pieces Rokuhan looks to deliver as well as the concealed turnout motors.
          >
          > Until it's available for sale it's a lot of speculation of course, but it will be interesting to see how readily the Rokuhan is accepted and more importantly, purchased, by Z scalers.
          >
          > John
          > http://www.ztrains.com

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 12, 2011
            Reynard,

            I can get any Rokuhan track pieces you want... now. I have already done so for many folks.

            Alex

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, reynard wellman <micron@...> wrote:

            > Hi John,
            > I for one, will be obtaining some of these track pieces,
            > especially the turnouts. As long as they meet the gauge
            > required, hide the actuation under the roadbed and provide
            > easy wiring control, it all looks good to me.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Reynard
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 12, 2011
              For those interested... Rokuhan track is available NOW!

              As I have already done for members of Z Central Station... if you are interested in getting your hands on Rokuhan track sooner than later, please contact me.
              I can get all the current available pieces, plus the Rokuhan controller, and all the associated Rokuhan wiring.

              I'm not charging a premium or a fee... I'm doing this as a "Z favor" for whomever is interested. I have a local source that is well stocked. Just ask Zcratchman or DKS or Stony. All I ask is, you pay for what you order, plus postage. I can ship by USPS Priority Service for U.S. addresses or Japan Post EMS for world-wide delivery.

              Please contact me directly for details and pricing of the pieces. The 55mm turn-outs, both crossings, and the flex track pieces are NOT available... yet. I have no idea when they will become available.

              Just to clarify... I am NOT making a profit or doing this as a business. I am using Rokuhan track now. I'm very pleased with it.

              Alex

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "john_ztrains" <john@...> wrote:

              > I spoke with Tony Ichikawa, Chairman of Rokuhan, this evening about the new Rokuhan track system and plans to release it here in the US. You can read this interview now at Ztrains.
              >
              > http://www.ztrains.com/z-scale-news/...z-scale-track/
              >
              > John Cubbin
              > Ztrains.com
              > http://www.ztrains.com
            • reynard wellman
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 13, 2011
                Hello Alex,
                That's amazing and thank you!

                Here is what I would like:

                1] 6 R007, right hand turnouts
                2] 6 R007, left hand turnouts
                3] 2 Crossover tracks, and if available (2 each of 13�)
                4] 2 R013 Bumper Track pieces (2 per pack)

                I have many MTL roadbed track pieces that I should use.
                Also I have many Marklin transformers.

                Could you please send me an estimate of the cost plus shipping
                and I will get the funds to you.

                best regardZ,
                Reynard
                On Mar 12, 2011, at 9:39 PM, Alex wrote:

                > Reynard,
                >
                > I can get any Rokuhan track pieces you want... now. I have already done so for many folks.
                >
                > Alex
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, reynard wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi John,
                > > I for one, will be obtaining some of these track pieces,
                > > especially the turnouts. As long as they meet the gauge
                > > required, hide the actuation under the roadbed and provide
                > > easy wiring control, it all looks good to me.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Reynard

              • Garth
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 13, 2011
                  like I said there is no clear answer for everyone. I use fast tracks for my Nn3 because there I am a rivet counter and the Marklin profile switch is not what I want just like the tie spacing on the road bed track is a problem to others. The rokuhan tie spacing is very close to that of Kato Unitrack and when run along side each other people get it when they see my Nn3 K27 running alongside a standard N-scale pacific or mikado. They get that both are n-scale and one is standard and the other narrow gauge. But an operating session on my layout is never without problems of one sort or another It looks nice but at a show I want things to run without hassels so I can talk to the crowd and answer questions so rather than rassle my modules out and to a show in a rented trailer I choose to use a small portable display unit that sits on a table top with sectional road bed track allows for this as it is pretty bullet proof and that is very attractive to the public. They are not so much interested in the finer points of scale rail and tie spacing as they are in does it run. Fast track can make jigs to match the turnout geometry of Peter Wright or Marklin or MTL if that is what you want but so far most have chosen to go this route with hand laid track and switches with jigs with the proper geometry for No 6 8,10 or higher turnouts. again another preference.

                  So for me it boils sown to deciding just what your objective is and then it is easier to decide which track system best suits your need and objectives.

                  cheerz Garth
                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 13, 2011
                    >Fast track can make jigs to match the turnout geometry of Peter Wright or >Marklin or MTL if that is what you want but so far most have chosen to go >this route with hand laid track and switches with jigs with the proper >geometry for No 6 8,10 or higher turnouts.

                    Very interresting for me indeed. As I'm a little bit "lazy" I think I will adapt these to Wright/MTL/Rokuhan/Marklin's, in order not to have to redo my future layout's trackplan. So if Peter doesn't come back to his fine craftsmaning, I think Fast Track will definitly be the way to go for me.

                    Dom