Strange AZL runner pack

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2011
      Folks,

      I bought one of the new DTTX NSC runner packs from AZL, #90601-3. I
      expected to get 3 different road numbers, but got something quite
      different.

      Two of the units had the same road number, DTTX620599, but no TTX logo.
      The 3rd piece had no road number, but does have the TTX logo. To me this
      looks like a set designed for a single 3 unit drawbar piece of rolling
      stock. I sent Tim Buehring a picture and he agrees there's something
      fishy going on here.

      If converted into a drawbar unit, you would kind of think that maybe the
      brake wheels should be removed from two of the units, just leaving a brake
      wheel on one of the end units. Each unit should also be designated A, B,
      or C. I would be inclined to put the unit with no road number (but the
      TTX logo) in the middle with the designation "C", and the two units with
      the same road number on the ends, one marked as "A", the other as "B".

      I did message the Z_intermodal list and only Tim replied, so I thought
      I'd put my wild speculations out to the Z_scale list. I suppose this
      could be a case of a big misprint.

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • Gert Velthuizen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2011
        Hi Malcolm,

        Boy you have a unique sample!! Should be worth a million soon!

        Maybe AZL is tesrunning these and mispacked one set....
        Should be fun in the future a three unit well car. Can't wait for them to appear officially.

        Gert

        To: Z_scale@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2011
          I have sets #90601-1 and #90601-2. Both sets are exactly as you describe... road-number on two of the units, TTX on the third unit, no "A", "B", or "C" on any of the units.

          BUT... I believe these to be prototypical. Take a look...

          http://rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=517852

          Alex

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > I bought one of the new DTTX NSC runner packs from AZL, #90601-3. I
          > expected to get 3 different road numbers, but got something quite
          > different.
          >
          > Two of the units had the same road number, DTTX620599, but no TTX logo.
          > The 3rd piece had no road number, but does have the TTX logo. To me this
          > looks like a set designed for a single 3 unit drawbar piece of rolling
          > stock. I sent Tim Buehring a picture and he agrees there's something
          > fishy going on here.
          >
          > If converted into a drawbar unit, you would kind of think that maybe the
          > brake wheels should be removed from two of the units, just leaving a brake
          > wheel on one of the end units. Each unit should also be designated A, B,
          > or C. I would be inclined to put the unit with no road number (but the
          > TTX logo) in the middle with the designation "C", and the two units with
          > the same road number on the ends, one marked as "A", the other as "B".
          >
          > I did message the Z_intermodal list and only Tim replied, so I thought
          > I'd put my wild speculations out to the Z_scale list. I suppose this
          > could be a case of a big misprint.
          >
          > CheerZ,
          > -- Malcolm Z
        • robertallbritton
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hi Malcolm,

            Yes, a bit of compromise here. On the one hand, quite a few of these NSC cars were 3-car units (connected with draw bars) so we decorated them accordingly. Note: the 3 car units have a common road number, but add an "A", "B" and "C" suffix.

            On the other hand, the tooling cost for both the single car tooling, and the second and third cars would have been prohibitive. We made the choice to go with the single car tooling for all. That includes the brake wheel. We assumed the hard core enthusiasts would remove the brake wheels from the last two cars and install drawbars to make them even more prototypical.

            We did invest more in pad printing on the cars and containers because we knew that we could achieve levels of detail that we not possible with decals alone, whereas putting your own draw bars on and removing the brake wheel was something more suited to the end user.

            Did we make the right decisions? That's up to the market to decide. But we did have to make a call to move forward with the project. I hope that helps explain our logic!

            Cheers!

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

            > Folks,
            >
            > I bought one of the new DTTX NSC runner packs from AZL, #90601-3. I
            > expected to get 3 different road numbers, but got something quite
            > different.
            >
            > Two of the units had the same road number, DTTX620599, but no TTX logo.
            > The 3rd piece had no road number, but does have the TTX logo. To me this
            > looks like a set designed for a single 3 unit drawbar piece of rolling
            > stock. I sent Tim Buehring a picture and he agrees there's something
            > fishy going on here.
            >
            > If converted into a drawbar unit, you would kind of think that maybe the
            > brake wheels should be removed from two of the units, just leaving a brake
            > wheel on one of the end units. Each unit should also be designated A, B,
            > or C. I would be inclined to put the unit with no road number (but the
            > TTX logo) in the middle with the designation "C", and the two units with
            > the same road number on the ends, one marked as "A", the other as "B".
            >
            > I did message the Z_intermodal list and only Tim replied, so I thought
            > I'd put my wild speculations out to the Z_scale list. I suppose this
            > could be a case of a big misprint.
            >
            > CheerZ,
            > -- Malcolm Z

          • Don Fedjur
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2011
              Great Explaination Rob,

              And as Paul Harvey used to say; "now we know the rest of the story"

              now if we could get a brass fret with some draw bars from somewherez....................>-)-

              Don

              Yes, a bit of compromise here. On the one hand, quite a few of these NSC cars were 3-car units (connected with draw bars) so we decorated them accordingly. Note: the 3 car units have a common road number, but add an "A", "B" and "C" suffix.

              On the other hand, the tooling cost for both the single car tooling, and the second and third cars would have been prohibitive. We made the choice to go with the single car tooling for all. That includes the brake wheel. We assumed the hard core enthusiasts would remove the brake wheels from the last two cars and install drawbars to make them even more prototypical.

              We did invest more in pad printing on the cars and containers because we knew that we could achieve levels of detail that we not possible with decals alone, whereas putting your own draw bars on and removing the brake wheel was something more suited to the end user.

              Did we make the right decisions? That's up to the market to decide. But we did have to make a call to move forward with the project. I hope that helps explain our logic!

              Cheers!

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

              > Folks,
              >
              > I bought one of the new DTTX NSC runner packs from AZL, #90601-3. I
              > expected to get 3 different road numbers, but got something quite
              > different.
              >
              > Two of the units had the same road number, DTTX620599, but no TTX logo.
              > The 3rd piece had no road number, but does have the TTX logo. To me this
              > looks like a set designed for a single 3 unit drawbar piece of rolling
              > stock. I sent Tim Buehring a picture and he agrees there's something
              > fishy going on here.
              >
              > If converted into a drawbar unit, you would kind of think that maybe the
              > brake wheels should be removed from two of the units, just leaving a brake
              > wheel on one of the end units. Each unit should also be designated A, B,
              > or C. I would be inclined to put the unit with no road number (but the
              > TTX logo) in the middle with the designation "C", and the two units with
              > the same road number on the ends, one marked as "A", the other as "B".
              >
              > I did message the Z_intermodal list and only Tim replied, so I thought
              > I'd put my wild speculations out to the Z_scale list. I suppose this
              > could be a case of a big misprint.
              >
              > CheerZ,
              > -- Malcolm Z

            • Malcolm Cleaveland
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2011
                Rob (Albritton),

                Thanks for the explanation. A good choice, indeed! Easy enough to make
                drawbars, remove brake wheels and add decals. The A and B units are on
                the ends, the C unit is in the middle if these 3 unit cars are configured
                like Maxi-Is and Maxi-IVs. Thank you very much. The single car releases
                are good, too.

                CheerZ,
                -- Malcolm Z