Micro-Trains Reissues F7

  • john_ztrains
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
      I've just posted a quick F7 Q&A over at Ztrains.com with Ben Thielemann, Marketing Director at MTL:

      http://www.ztrains.com/z-scale-news/micro-trains-f7/

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • dr strangelove
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
        John, Thank you so very much for asking these questions for us.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "john_ztrains" <john@...> wrote:

        > I've just posted a quick F7 Q&A over at Ztrains.com with Ben Thielemann, Marketing Director at MTL:
        >
        > http://www.ztrains.com/z-scale-news/micro-trains-f7/
        >
        > John
        > http://www.ztrains.com

      • john_ztrains
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
          Glad to do it... actually this is the kind of current news I'd like to present more and more over at the new Ztrains.com. Remember too that you can post comments directly under all articles on our site!

          John
          http://www.ztrains.com

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dr strangelove" <kaiserwillieii0815@...> wrote:

          > John, Thank you so very much for asking these questions for us.
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "john_ztrains" <john@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've just posted a quick F7 Q&A over at Ztrains.com with Ben Thielemann, Marketing Director at MTL:
          > >
          > > http://www.ztrains.com/z-scale-news/micro-trains-f7/
          > >
          > > John
          > > http://www.ztrains.com

        • Zane H. Healy
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
            I'd like to add my thanks as well! This is exciting news!

            Zane

            At 1:23 AM +0000 2/18/11, john_ztrains wrote:
            >Glad to do it... actually this is the kind of current news I'd like
            >to present more and more over at the new Ztrains.com. Remember too
            >that you can post comments directly under all articles on our site!
            >
            >John
            >http://www.ztrains.com

            | healyzh@... | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
            | | Photographer |
            | My flickr Photostream |
            | http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848088@N03/ |
          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
              It's unfortunate, but not unexpected, that there will be no improvements made to the reissued F7. To be blunt, I read the between-the-lines of the Q&A as: it's going to be a long time before we will be shipping and GPs or the SD-40 so we pulled out the worn-out F7 and deemed it's no longer worn out. I guess that's better than nothing.

              Mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "john_ztrains" <john@...> wrote:

              > I've just posted a quick F7 Q&A over at Ztrains.com with Ben Thielemann, Marketing Director at MTL:
              >
              > http://www.ztrains.com/z-scale-news/micro-trains-f7/
              >
              > John
              > http://www.ztrains.com

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                Mark,
                They did some re-tooling on it so it will be better than the last ones they
                put out last year.....the SP bloody nose.
                Loren

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                  Loren,
                  Glad to hear that the reissue will be better than the bloody nose: it was a bit disappointing to see the difference between it and my 14000 series WP units from years earlier. Of course nobody but myself really notices that it doesn't have the same definition.

                  Mark

                  > Mark,
                  > They did some re-tooling on it so it will be better than the last ones they
                  > put out last year.....the SP bloody nose.
                  > Loren

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 17, 2011
                    Mark,
                    I sincerely hope the re cut steel will result in better detail. Getting
                    bumped from Sanda Kan sure put a crimp in MTL for a period.
                    I think they are about to get their new supplier on line again.......we need
                    it.

                    Best,
                    Loren

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                      Am I understanding this thread correctly when I take it to mean that
                      the level of detail on the 'new' F7's will be higher than on
                      something like 980 01 010 (Union Pacific), or the F7 in the Army
                      Train set?

                      If so count me in as interested, at that point I'd be thinking about
                      upgrading my UP F7 instead of simply being interested in a B unit or
                      two for it.

                      Zane

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                        I don't know exactly what MTL did to the metal injection molds, but
                        apparently something was done to 'sharpen' them up so the detail should be
                        better than the last several months of releases before they ran out.

                        Ideally, new molds would have been made with added features, but that would
                        have been a whole new loco and doing that stateside is big money. The
                        upcoming E8s will be brand new so expect some fine features from them in
                        several ways.

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                          Zane,
                          My comments were based on the fact that all injection molds want to be flat, so that over time, crisp edges round over and mold ridges flatten, etc. When I sit my old WP F7s next to the new SP there are little differences in things like the texture and definition of grates, and ribs and such are noticeable.
                          My expectation is that the reissue after reconditioning the mold will sharpen much of the existing mold detail but not add any new details. Also I expect dimensions to change by a couple mils. Most people will probably not the differnce.
                          At this point it's probably more significant that the F7 units will be available again.

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                            My only two F7's are two referenced below, and if I remember
                            correctly both are fairly flat. I want to say they're my Z Scale
                            items most lacking in detail. The following old gallery shows most
                            of my engines.

                            http://gallery.me.com/healyzh#100093&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3

                            This reminds me, I need to look into higher quality Macro's of
                            Z-Scale rolling stock, I should be able to get a better "Depth of
                            Field" now, and higher quality. Plus I'm curious to see how my Canon
                            G11 does for Z-Scale.

                            Zane

                          • Robert Toole
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                              Loren,

                              Let me throuw my 2 cents it.
                              Maybe MTL should look into production in Eastern Europe.
                              I've read that several European manufacturers have pulled their production out
                              of China and now produce in Hungery or Slovika.

                              Robert

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                Robert,
                                Actually, the issue wasn't so much where as who. My last Marklin order was "made in Italy", apparently they've moved some of their operation from Hungary.
                                Mark

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole <airforce_loadmaster@...> wrote:

                                > Loren,
                                >
                                > Let me throuw my 2 cents it.
                                > Maybe MTL should look into production in Eastern Europe.
                                > I've read that several European manufacturers have pulled
                                > their production out
                                > of China and now produce in Hungery or Slovika.
                                >
                                > Robert
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Zane H. Healy
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                  At 7:16 PM +0000 2/18/11, mark2playz wrote:
                                  > Actually, the issue wasn't so much where as who.

                                  So for those of us that haven't been paying attention lately, just
                                  what happened with MTL's production lines?

                                  Zane

                                  | healyzh@... | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
                                  | | Photographer |
                                  | My flickr Photostream |
                                  | http://www.flickr.com/photos/33848088@N03/ |
                                • Uwe Liermann
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                    Hello Zane,

                                    > The following old gallery shows most of my engines.

                                    http://gallery.me.com/healyzh#100093&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3

                                    and the most valuable engines are shown in the first two pictures...

                                    --
                                    GreetingZ
                                    Uwe
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                      Robert,
                                      I can't speak for the European manufacturers, but I do know that some very
                                      fine brass is coming out of Russia in the military scale ship hobby.
                                      Because we hear so much about China we many forget there are many talented
                                      companies all over the world who can produce wonderful products.

                                      You may have a good idea, but I think MTL has already found a company in
                                      China or some far Eastern country.
                                      Loren

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                        MTL was having Sanda Kan produce their sectional track and loco chassis.
                                        They got dumped and had to go looking for another manufacturer.
                                        Loren

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                          Uwe,

                                          What is the scale of the two girls, GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 18, 2011
                                            Uwe,
                                            They are at least the most expensive!

                                            Robert,
                                            As that's over three years ago, I believe my daughter was a little
                                            over 2, and my son was about 4 1/2. Trust me, those shots were a bit
                                            nerve-wracking with my daughter standing there (even with her being
                                            5, it would be nerve-wracking).

                                            Unfortunately, that's as far as that layout has made it in over three
                                            years. :-( Though it's been a very busy three years.

                                            Zane

                                            At 4:16 PM -0800 2/18/11, Robert Toole wrote:
                                            >Uwe,
                                            >
                                            >What is the scale of the two girls, GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
                                            >

                                            >________________________________

                                          • Ken Armstrong
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 19, 2011
                                              Is there information available on installing a decoder in the F7s or is
                                              this an opportunity for an aftermarket product? Seems there ought to be
                                              significant interest in a decoder ready replacement frame. If it
                                              contained tungsten or lead and was heavier, so much the better.
                                              Ken Armstrong
                                              Irmo, SC
                                            • John Claudino
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 19, 2011
                                                Ken,

                                                Contact Paul Lator at Southern Digital. He makes Digi (DCC Ready) Frames for N Scale. May be you can talk him into doing Z frames.

                                                http://www.sodigi.com/home.htm

                                                John Claudino

                                                AZTEC MANUFACTURING CO.
                                                2701 Conestoga Drive #113, Carson City, NV 89706
                                                Phone 775-883-3327 � Fax 775-883-3357
                                                Email aztecmfg@... � Web www.aztectrains.com

                                                On Feb 19, 2011, at 6:06 AM, Ken Armstrong wrote:

                                                > Is there information available on installing a decoder in the F7s or is
                                                > this an opportunity for an aftermarket product? Seems there ought to be
                                                > significant interest in a decoder ready replacement frame. If it
                                                > contained tungsten or lead and was heavier, so much the better.
                                                > Ken Armstrong
                                                > Irmo, SC
                                                > _

                                              • Don Fedjur
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 19, 2011
                                                  Hi Ken,

                                                  You can contact me offline @ donfedjur@...
                                                  I can offer you DCC chassis modification & DCC installation/
                                                  programming plus replacement lamps
                                                  aka relighting the MTL F-7's.

                                                  Don
                                                  Carlsbad, CA

                                                  Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

                                                  On Feb 19, 2011, at 9:06 AM, Ken Armstrong <kenarm322@...> wrote:

                                                  > Is there information available on installing a decoder in the F7s or
                                                  > is
                                                  > this an opportunity for an aftermarket product? Seems there ought to
                                                  > be
                                                  > significant interest in a decoder ready replacement frame. If it
                                                  > contained tungsten or lead and was heavier, so much the better.
                                                  > Ken Armstrong
                                                  > Irmo, SC

                                                • Ell
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 19, 2011
                                                    Zane,

                                                    I have a Canon G11 and out of curiosity took a picture of a Z-scale box car with the camera about 2 to 3 inches away from the car. I had the camera set on Auto with Flash off. The camera goes into Macro Mode automatically when you are that close to an object and are set on Auto. I was impressed with the picture. It was just an experiment to get an idea of how the camera would do. I haven't done any more yet. Opening it in Photoshop and viewing at 100 percent, I can easily read the very small lettering on the side of the car.

                                                    Ell Geib

                                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh@...> wrote:

                                                    > My only two F7's are two referenced below, and if I remember
                                                    > correctly both are fairly flat. I want to say they're my Z Scale
                                                    > items most lacking in detail. The following old gallery shows most
                                                    > of my engines.
                                                    >
                                                    > http://gallery.me.com/healyzh#100093&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3
                                                    >
                                                    > This reminds me, I need to look into higher quality Macro's of
                                                    > Z-Scale rolling stock, I should be able to get a better "Depth of
                                                    > Field" now, and higher quality. Plus I'm curious to see how my Canon
                                                    > G11 does for Z-Scale.
                                                    >
                                                    > Zane

                                                  • Zane H. Healy
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 19, 2011
                                                      I figured it would work pretty good. Especially if you keep the shot
                                                      centered on the subject. I used it for some wildflower photography
                                                      last spring, shortly after I got it, and was most impressed. Sadly I
                                                      found that overall the extremely deep DOF was more of a hindrance
                                                      than a help for the types of photography I lean towards. For
                                                      something like shooting individual Z-Scale cars, it's likely to work
                                                      better than a DSLR.

                                                      Zane