RE: portable electronic

  • megott@ufl.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
      Jeff,

      How about a Jell cell. I don't know if they are available in 9 volt but 12 volt should be fine as long as you don't use the full voltage. Jell cells are rechargeable lead acid batteries that are used a lot in personal computer backup power supplies. they do not have a 'memory' problem like the nicads, but do like to be kept up to full charge in storage like any lead acid battery. I can't help you with the electronics but try Radio Shack they should have small plugin power supplies and charging circuit kits or books with instructions on how to build them with of course Radio Shack parts. Odd thing that.

      I guess you could use solar panels but unless you plan to show it outside all the time I would think that the lighting in most places would not be sufficiant to provide enought powerunless you provide very large ones that would be prohibitivly expensive.

      Manfred
    • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
        To: Jeff Masiello

        Hi Jeff,

        concerning a solution with a 9 Volt block, feel free to contact Mr. Darr
        Gill, email:

        << DSGill@... >>

        Wolfgang
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
          I would suggest that you try a fixed or variable voltage DC wall transformer
          for your power source. You can choose a maximum voltage of 9 or 12 volts.
          If you add a Radio Shack plug adapter to the side of your brief case, you
          can plug the adapter directly into the side or top of the layout. You can
          also put your speed control in a small project box and connect it to the
          layout with a RJ11 telephone jack (4 conductors) which would give you
          control of speed and direction.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey